Ketsui PCB problems - no sound or picture === updated :oD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Coryoon

Ketsui PCB problems - no sound or picture === updated :oD

Post by Coryoon »

Just received a Ketsui kit, however after plugging it in to my SIGMA Supergun via the lead (making sure the orientation was right on the pcb edge), and powering on my Supergun, my TV detects something but I get nothing on the screen save as to just black and no audio at all, even if i plug headphones into the supergun.

I tested my supergun prior to setting up my new game on a pcb of Batrider and Bakraid and they worked fine.

I was told that the pcb was tested beforehand (and it was a reliable seller that I always use), so I am a little clueless.

This seems pretty terminal and I have no idea why it is doing this - can anyone else shed any light on either the likely problem or even cause of the problem.
Last edited by Coryoon on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2d will never die.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I'm not sure what the symptoms are of flipping the weird orange toggle switch on the board (please don't touch this switch until someone else can give you a better diagnosis).

But for now try plugging in your board and flipping dipswitch #1 and see if the test menu comes up.

Just for reference, the orange switch on my board is flipped towards the battery.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Try cleaning the JAMMA connectors on the PCB+Sigma. Also make sure all other connections are secure. Easy stuff first.
PC Engine Fan X!

Oxtsu is right about cleaning the Jamma connectors...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What I use to clean my Jamma edge connectors on the arcade PCBs themselves, is to take an artist "kneadable" gum eraser (this can be picked up at an art supply store or craft store) and get the edge contacts all nice & shiny. Secondly, I take a Q-tip and dip both ends in some rubbing alcohol to get the contacts all super nice & sparkling clean. Be sure to let the rubbing alcohol evaporate complete before plugging the arcade PCB back into the Jamma harness of your Sigma. Hopefully, that should resolve 90 percent of non-functioning arcade PCBs.

The remaining 10% of non-functioning PCBs requires some initial PCB diagnostics to figure out the exact nature of the problem. Could perhaps some socketed EEPROMS are aren't seated in properly (which can result in minor graphical and/or sound glitches) -- a simple & light "flexing" of the arcade PCB could indeed fix the problem too as past shmuppers have mentioned here on the Hardware section of Shmups.com.

If your Ketsui PCB falls into the remaining 10% catergory of still not fuctioning, then you could take it to a local arcade distributor and have one of their arcade techicians take a look at it. Check under the subject of "Arcade Distributors" in the phone book. A monetary fee might be required if your Ketsui PCB should require some serious extensive work to bring it back to 100% working operation from the arcade technician.
All arcade distributors have a small army of arcade techs on hand to repair & diagnose fautly arcade PCBs...if all else has been tried and done & it still doesn't work, then it's time to get another Ketsui PCB.

If all else fails, then my suggestion to get in contact with the seller that sold you the Ketsui PCB in first place and arrange for you to get your hard-earned money back and look elsewhere for getting a 100% working Ketsui PCB.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

Thanks for the feedback.

The connection slots are pretty clean and i have made sure that everything is lined up and connected securely.

Someone has mentioned a potential voltage issue and that i adjust that - if i can.

I will give it a bit more of a go trying things methodically and see how it goes.
2d will never die.
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

=== SORTED === ... kinda

Yes it was the voltage adjustment.

I have a SIGMA AV 5000 and the adjuster is recessed inside a hole near to the power cable. I adjusted it a bit and now it works fine.... on 2 of my tellys.

The only problem is that my Sharp aquos lcd telly, (which i have set up on a TATE-able wall bracket), refuses to display a stable picture.

Basically the picture scrolls all over the place - like as if you are trying to run a ntsc output into an old 50hz telly.

I did get similar problems with my other pcb's - progear, batrider and backraid, however these stabilse shortly after or just become a slight movement centreing issue.

I am gutted with that, because I cant enjoy the game as much on a my current 'fix' which is a 20" tated in the spare room.

At least for now the issue is sorted and other niave supergun owners can bear this in mind, if they have a similar problem with this or other later CAVE boards.

If anyone has any ideas about my LCD issues, let me know.
2d will never die.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Voltage or current was the next likely culprit. Glad you got it sorted out.