Strikers 1945 II not saving

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kccttzj

Strikers 1945 II not saving

Post by kccttzj »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question or if something like this has been asked before, but I did do search and I didn't find anything. We have a Strikers 1945 II machine at work and it's not saving scores. I admit that I don't have that much experience with this kind of hardware, so I don't even know what to look for. I've opened the machine and looked at the board and everything, but like I said, I don't even know what I'm looking for, so it doesn't do much good. I could always try to ask our techs, but nine times out of ten, they either don't show up to check it out, or they say there's nothing wrong with the machine. I could go on forever about it, but I've come to the realization that it's just better to fix things ourselves. So, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Like most PCBs, it does not save highscores after powering off.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Thanks! I thought that that might be what it was, but I wasn't sure. I guess that was a stupid question :oops: , so I appreciate you responding anyway.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Although it don't save the scores, it did save game setting, i.e. No of lifes, coins per credit, difficulty settings, scores for earning extends, etc. :o

If that setting reset too, your board does got some problem.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
PC Engine Fan X!

Some arcade PCBs do save high score without battery...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you have experience with the Atari Games Jamma PCBs of Klax, Tetris and Off The Wall puzzlers, they all save high scores without the need for a battery. How is this possible? Could be the big-ass capacitor on each of the Atari Games arcade puzzler PCBs themselves.

Most modern day arcade Jamma PCBs that do save high scores have a "back-up" battery just for the purpose of saving high scores when powering down the arcade PCB for the night. The classic Seibu Kaihatsu's Raiden II Jamma PCB came in two different PCBs: one with built-in back-up battery and one without that feature. Hence, at some arcades, I wondered why one Raiden II arcade upright wouldn't save high scores while at another arcade, their Raiden II arcade upright saved high scores even if turned off for the night.

The Seibu Kaihatsu SP1 motherboard has a coin-type button cell battery that saves high scores depending on the SP1 game cartridge loaded up into the RAM memory banks.

The Neo-Geo MVS MV-1 mobo and it's later revised mobos, have a built-in back-up battery that saves high scores (upwards of seven or eight different MVS carts saved in memory).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

I did wonder about that. I didn't realize that they made two different PCBs like that. So why would they have two available? Is it just an option made available on a newer PCB, or they just made two different ones?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

kccttzj wrote:I did wonder about that. I didn't realize that they made two different PCBs like that. So why would they have two available? Is it just an option made available on a newer PCB, or they just made two different ones?
For kccttzj,

Seibu Kaihatsu made two different PCB revisions of Raiden II -- one version has built-in battery + additional circuity for proper back up of high scores & the 2nd version has no battery on board + no additional circuity for proper backup of scores.

Is this "option" of being able to buy the latest arcade PCBs with or without backup battery to save high scores feature? It really depends on whether the software developer wants that particular option done for their arcade software and for the "contracted out" arcade PCB manufacturer to add that option during the time of PCB building process.

The Taito G-Net mobo saves the game settings + high scores directly to the Taito G-Card cartridge medium itself (if it does have high score saving feature implemented).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~