480i -> 240p conversion to regain scanlines - all done :)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

480i -> 240p conversion to regain scanlines - all done :)

Post by Fudoh »

I had started this topic on the "Ibara's graphics" thread in the main discussion board, but I think it fits into the hardware section much better.

The project's been finished now and you can chec the results at:

http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Feel free to email me or post here if you have any questions !! I'll gladly help as much as I can to answer all questions !!

Fudoh
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thanks for finishing this great resource Fudoh!

I did noticed all your example screenshots where of games/systems which had native 480p (vga) capability already, and then sent that pure VGA signal through the Extron scanconverter for best possible results at 240p.

What was not discussed or shown, was taking a 480i source (say Ibara on the PS2) upscan it with XRGB2+ and then send through the Extron. My guess is the picture was not as good as your other examples because of the upscanning of an interlaced signal (not as good as a pure VGA source). Can you confirm the quality/solution of such a setup?

Probably doesn't matter anymore, as the cost of the an XRGB2+ and Extron converter is approaching the cost of most used PCBs (Ibara PCB is now around $400).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I did noticed all your example screenshots where of games/systems which had native 480p (vga) capability already, and then sent that pure VGA signal through the Extron scanconverter for best possible results at 240p.
The XBox screenshots were taken from interlaced output and running through my upscaler since I have it setup this way since ages anyway (for my LCD TV). I tried with a VGA box and it looks the same, but the VGA box is incompatible with my XBox's graphics encoder (maye you remember my magenta-tinted OutRun2 screenshots from the other thread).

I don't have a XRGB2 anymore by myself but I tested it a friend. It looks fabulous, since the XRGB2 has a very sharp upscaling engine (the downside it it drops details at real high-res games).

There is absolutely not a single disadvantage with using a good upscaler (XRGB or better).

Living in the USA you can find those Extron things quite cheap on Ebay from time to time and being an universal setup for every source I wouldn't really compare it to the price of a single PCB.

If you get a extron machine for about US$100, you can get a Hori Upscan unit from NCSx (for US$69) and have a great setup for less than $200 of investment. As far as I know the pure quality of the Hori converter is the same as the XRGB2 - it just has less features.

Taking all those classic collections recently (Capcom, Taito etc) into consideration makes it worth the setup alone...

Tobias
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Just strange there are no scan converters that will take a 480i signal and deinterlace to 240p...I mean as you stated in your article, all you are doing is blanking every other line, how much simpler could it be? Sure you may loose resolution on high-res games, but for line doubled games (like Ibara), a single solution for under $100, would definately make it more cost effecitve for hobbiests.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Just strange there are no scan converters that will take a 480i signal and deinterlace to 240p...
yeah, but who would need such a thing ? (besides us of course)

The basic idea of a scan converter is to get PC signals into broadcast tv signals, so can be mixed in broadcast streams using linear editing systems.
sammaza

Post by sammaza »

I just sold my XRGB2+ for 125.00 it was a great deal
99pence

Post by 99pence »

What sort of leads would you need? Does the RGB come out on seperate points on the RF like outputs or do you use one of the normal monitor sockets? Do you have any photos showing the leads you use and what goes where?

Thanks
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Those "RF like" outputs are actually BNC outputs.

The kind of cable you need depends on the monitor you like to use. If your monitor has RGB Scart input you can use a cable from 4x BNC to 1x Scart (RGBS). If your monitor has YUV component input you can use a standard 3x RCA to 3x RCA cable and just need to add 3 BNC/RCA adapters ($1 a piece).

The inputs on the Emotia line scan converters are standard VGA D-Sub - the same input as any CRT VGA monitor.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Right so I'd have to make a SCART lead with the BNC sockets.

So on the input, do you wire up your normal SCART signal to go in these (so I'd have to make another lead) or does it have to be a VGA signal going in there? So you would have to buy that Dreamcast VGA adapter etc?

Thanks for your help.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Input has to be 31khz VGA, e.g. DC via VGA box, XBox via X2VGA or PS2 using a XRGB2+.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Crikey. That's alot of stuff you need to get. With that XRGB+ I guess you can use any of the other consoles.

Thanks for your help.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Crikey. That's alot of stuff you need to get. With that XRGB+ I guess you can use any of the other consoles.
yes, of course. If you need a PS1/PS2 solution only it's cheaper to get the Hori Upscan Converter 2 (available from NCS). Same quality as the XRGB2+, just less features (and no RGB/YUV inputs for other systems).