RGB-to-component converter?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Specineff

RGB-to-component converter?

Post by Specineff »

Hi guys.

I am quite dissatisfied with the XRGB2 (I'll post on why later), so I was thinking, that maybe it's possible to convert RGB to component, to be used with an HDTV or regular TV that can take component.

The ony problem is, that such boxes are designed to be used with European televisions, and my fear is that even if I feed one of those boxes with a 60 hz RGB signal (Don't worry about the SCART pinout. I got it all figured out) coming from an NTSC machine, it will output 50 Hz component.

There is no such unit for the american market. The closest match is a VGA to component converter. (More like downgrader, if you ask me).

So would it be like this:

RGB from US system>>>>Converter box>>>>60 Hz component since the original signal was 60 Hz?

or:

RGB from US system>>>Converter>>>> 50 Hz (all messed up) component since that's the frequency of the adapter?

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Matt, if you are reading this... please HELP!

Thanks.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Considering the prices of the basic RGB SCART<->Component transcoding boxes I see, they should just be using a simple circuit to convert the sync signal from HV to composite-sync-on-Y. So, there shouldn't be any worries about 50hz output unless you're giving 50hz input.
Spec wrote:There is no such unit for the american market. The closest match is a VGA to component converter. (More like downgrader, if you ask me).
Converting 31khz VGA to a 480p Component signal is really no worse of a downgrade than 15khz RGB to 480i/240p Component output.

No space for a dedicated RGB monitor?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I do have that. Problem is that compared to my TV, my Sony PVM looks a bit pale. That's why I was thinking about going this route:

http://www.howtoconvert.co.uk/howrgb2component.htm.

About the VGA to component box, well... there's no need for that when using an HDTV that has VGA input. :wink:

And that was also the issue. We all know what happens when you connect a true RGB 15 khz signal to a VGA 31Khz input. (Hint: Starts with "Ka" and ends in "Boooom!"). Would you believe they like to label those VGA inputs on HDTVs as RGB? It's just a matter of time before someone hooks those R, G, B and sync lines to the proper pins... and ends up burning his home and equipment. :shock:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I'm looking to buy an XRGB2, even if it is not perfect.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Arigato, Oxtsu-Sama.

I might sell it, but first need to finish two projects with it.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I bought an RGB-Component transcoder and used it on a Neo Geo AES system using Euro Scart at 60hz and my supergun. It worked perfectly on my HDTV in the States, in fact it worked so well it blew the socks off the people that saw the quality.

I don't use it on HDTV anymore, I bought a smaller CRT that took component input but displayed interlaced only. Its as close to RGB as your going to get. The only problem is mine doesn't carry the audio signals, so you have to buy Euro scarts that have seperate phonos or modify them yourself.

I will take a look at the brand tomorrow when I get home from work, it costs about $100 IIRC.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
matt

Post by matt »

Specineff wrote:And that was also the issue. We all know what happens when you connect a true RGB 15 khz signal to a VGA 31Khz input. (Hint: Starts with "Ka" and ends in "Boooom!").
No, it's more of a "rolling picture" effect. Useless, but unlikely to break anything.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi matt,

Are you back? :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

SAM

Post by SAM »

neorichieb1971 wrote:http://www.interneeds.com/video-converter.htm

CSY-2100
From the above link:

COMPOSITE VIDEO TO SCART RGB
REF: LEK-CCR2SRGB

I got one like that, it could work wonders, I have it hack and added 2 RCA jacks for Audio.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

Just carried some tests on the Convertor today. :o

It only give black & white screen when connected as follows...

7 Blue
11 Green
15 Red
20 Com Sync
5 Ground

I tried this connection with Saturn, PlayStation & PCBs, all got the same black & white screen. :?

When I connect the Com Video to pin 20 instead, I got back the color.

I opened up the convertor, found a Sanyo LA7213 Sync Separator chip at the 20 pin line. So I solder the Com Sync line to the ComSync out pin (pin 2) of the LA7213 and try again.

Black & white screen again. :(

So I guess you need Com Video to got the component out in convertor. Thus it won't work on PCBs, unless you are willing to play the game in black & white. :x

BTW, if you want to do the reverse, i.e. Component to RGB/VGA, the National chip LMH1251 would handle the job.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Thanks for the info, SAM. I'll try the Jrok converter that Oxtsu listed. Seems a bit more appropriate.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Specineff wrote:Thanks for the info, SAM. I'll try the Jrok converter that Oxtsu listed. Seems a bit more appropriate.
I happened to have a JROK converter for sale, just send in your offer.
SAM

Post by SAM »

SAM wrote:So I guess you need Com Video to got the component out in convertor. Thus it won't work on PCBs, unless you are willing to play the game in black & white. :x
Yes, it won't work on PCB.... alone. :twisted:

An idea strike me during work when I was in office today. (Yes, I think of things like this during work, just don't let my boss know. :wink: ) How about I use a CXA1645 circult to give me Com Video? :idea:

So I run the test again using a PlayStation RGB to TV converter (it's idea was first put forward by iatneH.)
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7854

YES, it works. Using a SCART RGB Cable to connect the hacked PlayStation to the Component Video converter, I was able to get 15kHz Component Video singal from a PCB!!! :D

In other words...

RGB -> Composite Video
-> S-Video
-> SCART RGB
-> Component Video

PCB
Hacked PlayStation (RGB to TV converter)
SCART to Component Video Converter

Just one more thought.... :roll:

RGB -> Composite Video
-> S-Video
-> SCART RGB
-> Component Video -> VGA

PCB
HORI Upscan converter 2

All of these together = X-RGB2 ?? :lol:
SAM

Post by SAM »

SAM wrote:Just one more thought.... :roll:

RGB -> Composite Video
-> S-Video
-> SCART RGB
-> Component Video -> VGA

PCB
HORI Upscan converter 2

All of these together = X-RGB2 ?? :lol:
Called my wahtever you like. :x

I have tried this idea today. Result: it doesn't work. The component signal from the SCART to Component Video Converter could not be upscaned by the HORI Upscan Converter 2. :(

I tried again by connecting the Upscan to a DVD player outputing interlance (15kHz) component, it works. So there must be somthing wrong with teh Component singal from the SCART to Component Video Converter. :?

I don't have the knowage nor equirment to found out the reason of the probllem... I guess I have to give up on this. :x

I orginally thought that the non-interlance graphic from a PCB could look quite nice on a VGA monitor after upcaned. :o

Well I think I could successfully connect the Hacked PlayStation (RGB to TV converter) to the HORI Upscan Converter 2 directly via a S-Video cable, but as we all know, that would look like shit. :x
SAM

Post by SAM »

I supspect that the SCART to Component Video Converter might be outputing Sync of Green. Any simple solution to remove the Green from the sync?
kemical

Post by kemical »

the neobitz pcb is excellent for doing straight RGB to component, I was using a supergun with one on my HDTV.
SAM

Post by SAM »

kemical wrote:the neobitz pcb is excellent for doing straight RGB to component, I was using a supergun with one on my HDTV.
You mean the "Neobitz Component Video Board" they got for preorder at the top of the page? :o
http://www.neobitz.com/
The link is not working... :?
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

Sorry to hijack this thread but, I have been looking for a solution for running my supergun on my Sharp Aquos LCD telly.

As I posted in my Ketsui thread, If I run the supergun's output (RGB scart or composite), I get a nasty rolling picture.

I was told that a way to fix this would be an upscan convertor, like the XRGB2 or this - http://www.kjglobal.co.uk/acatalog/Xoni ... erter.html

After looking at this thread, I could also consider using a RGB to component convertor presumably?

Is it possible though that even if I do get an upscan, is there a chance that my picture will still roll over the shop - just in VGA mode this time?[/url]
2d will never die.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds more like a vertical sync issue to me.

If your TV is 60hz, I would say its a vert sync issue.

Try on another TV/Monitor.. if your seeing the picture flicker really fast, but can see color and something of a game screen in there somewhere, its the vert sync.
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Sounds more like a vertical sync issue to me.

If your TV is 60hz, I would say its a vert sync issue.

Try on another TV/Monitor.. if your seeing the picture flicker really fast, but can see color and something of a game screen in there somewhere, its the vert sync.
Yeh sounds like it, however my pcbs do work on this LCD - batrider, bakkraid and progear, although there is a slight horizontal fluctuation with progear.

It just seems to correct itself to a large degree with all games except for ketsui (typical).

Is there any way to correct this? I suspect there is, but Sharp won't let me fiddle with the service settings and will just refer me 'the the equipment manufacturer'.

Failing that, do you think the VGA upscanner will work though.

It's all in all very annoying. :(
2d will never die.