Sony PVM 1910 or GVM 2020 or computer monitor?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jeffrey

Sony PVM 1910 or GVM 2020 or computer monitor?

Post by Jeffrey »

Ok, I've researched some screen choices and back posts in this forum and have narrowed down the choices. I want to play the original console games with original consoles, I do not want to go the emulator route, for various reasons. I am looking for higher picture quality than my Circuit City 3-year old Panasonic 36" commercial-grade CRT flat-screen TV. The monitor would be used exclusively for gaming. I do not have room for a full arcade monitor with cabinet. Cost is not a real constraint. I am looking for the highest picture quality for gaming. I would like something that looks good on classic games, but also will look good on newer 3-D games as well.

Many people here seem to like the PVM 1910 for picture quality and because it can be turned on its side semi-easily. I talked to an ebay seller of PVM and GVM monitors and he likes the GVM 2020 better because of better inputs, I think. I don't know if people have had good experience with a GVM 2020. I think their one downside is that they will not be HD-compatible for the future. I don't know if it is possible to change the picture orientation of these units with a control to make it alternate between horizontal and vertical, avoiding the need to turn it on its side.

I was also still considering a computer monitor (Commodore 1084???), primarily because it might be lighter than a PVM/GVM and more easily turned back and forth on its side. I could also have one of these permanently in Tate for vertical gaming, and a 20-25 inch GVM for horizontal gaming next to it.

I would appreciate any feedback or personal experiences people have had with these set ups, and whether they seem best for my applications?

Thanks in advance.
elvis

Post by elvis »

In my mind, there are two main eras of console gaming: low res, and hi res. The two IMHO are incompatible when it comes to screens.

New hi def gaming (Xbox 360, PS3, etc) will all be 16:9 ratio games, and designed around the idea of newer LCD and plasma displays.

Old low res gaming just screams for a arcade CRT.

Possibly, you could consider something like a new Wells Gardner monitor. These will do hi res RGB (ie: VGA and up, for Dreamcast, XBox 360, PS3, etc), as well as low res RGB for older consoles.

You can buy arcade monitors separately from cabs. Slapping an arcade monitor in a square wooden box with some carry handles and decent fan-forced cooling gives you a not-too-bulky screen that can easily be rotated. And again, if you don't want two separate screens, consider getting one that can do multi-res (up to SVGA preferably) for next-gen consoles. As mentioned, next-gen will always look better on newer 16:9 displays, as that's what they are designed for.

If it was my decision, I'd go for two separate screens. Keep the oldschool stuff on CRT using RGB, and the newschool stuff on LCD/Plasma using native component. Just my 2c.
kemical

Post by kemical »

hm I've owned a PVM-1910, they are great for a medium sized low res monitor, for arcade games or any system you have outputting RGB. Boxy with handles also, pretty easy to rotate and move around.
I ended up giving it away for free to a shmup member here.

Right now I just have my trusty Amiga 1080 monitor, its only 13 or 14" though, but the picture is beautiful (for low res RGB stuff of course) I'll probably never get rid of it, even if it breaks, since I've been putting layers of stickers all over it.

If you were going to go the route of an arcade monitor, I would recommend getting a Japanese made one found in the latest cabs over there, instead of Wells Gardener or HAPP / Neotec etc.. because I've heard the US ones end up having problems much quicker than the Japanese ones.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

One more possibility: I could get a Sony GDM FW900 computer monitor. This would give me a much bigger picture than an Amiga 1080. However I believe it runs VGA, so I would (I think) need an X-RBG2 converter. Has anyone tried the FW900??

Also, how difficult are the console to Amiga 1080 connections? I see them on ebay for 50-80 dollars.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

which consoles are you using anyway?

Are you seriously planning on riding the waves into next gen?

those arcade monitors that can do svga are supposed to be awesome.

Personally, I would never buy an arcade monitor without a cab cause I don't like the idea of having to build a case for the monitor since A. I'm not very good at building such things (even that simple), and B. It will most likely look ugly compared to a cab or an actual tv set.

For the sake of convenience and looks, I'd go for a monitor that already has a case which will do low res and svga.

for me, I barely have enough time for my dc shmups to bother with saturn too much, so I use my vga monitor (posted in the show yr tate setup section) for dc shmups . VGA for dc will always look better than anything else as I'm sure no one needs to be reminded....unless it's Gunbird 2 or bangaio.
=/
matt

Re: Sony PVM 1910 or GVM 2020 or computer monitor?

Post by matt »

Jeffrey wrote:I talked to an ebay seller of PVM and GVM monitors and he likes the GVM 2020 better because of better inputs, I think. I don't know if people have had good experience with a GVM 2020. I think their one downside is that they will not be HD-compatible for the future.

The GVM is an excellent monitor and will display high-rez RGB up to 480p (ie VGA). With a component-to-VGA transcoder, you could even watch HDTV on it.
I don't know if it is possible to change the picture orientation of these units with a control to make it alternate between horizontal and vertical, avoiding the need to turn it on its side.
Not possible.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Jeffrey wrote:One more possibility: I could get a Sony GDM FW900 computer monitor. This would give me a much bigger picture than an Amiga 1080. However I believe it runs VGA, so I would (I think) need an X-RBG2 converter. Has anyone tried the FW900??

Also, how difficult are the console to Amiga 1080 connections? I see them on ebay for 50-80 dollars.

No no. Don't use an XRGB on the GVM. You can connect your consoles directly for superb picture quality. And you can also connect your DC using the VGA cord, for those graphics the system is known for. Note that Matt said it will do up to 480 progressive, meaning it can take your Genny, PS1 and 2, Saturn, Neo Geo and pretty much any Japanese console with the right cables.

If you want HD, then you can get an HDTV. Better keep them separated man.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

What consoles? Well, I now have set up a Saturn Japan, a US Genesis, a modified Dreamcast, a Japanese PSX, a refurb NES, a PS2 US and a Gamecube. Yes, this was a bit overboard, but on ebay/Amazon used, it didn't amount to too much money. I am currently playing through the Gradius/Salamander/Lifeforce games. Gradius was my favorite when I was a teen (which was when Gradius 1 was the *only* version - no saves, you had to make it on 1 ship or it was basically over due to lack of firepower. :)) Blowing up stuff with a spaceship never gets old!!

All this is still running composite through a 3-year old Panasonic CRT which inputs, I believe, at 30khz. I know all about lag and bad picture quality.

I wanted future "upgradeability" for PS3, Revolution etc. But I think there are so many classic games out there of the type I like, that I will probably wait (except for Revolution making all the Genesis/NES games downloadable - I will wait for PQ reviews on these first: will the actual original games play better than the modern downloads?)

The only other knock against a GVM 2020 seems to be that the sound comes out in mono. Not a deal killer for Gradius, but something I need to check out. I assume there is some way to get small speakers and get better sound, but I haven't figured it out yet (I will have a home theater 7.1 receiver nearby, if that matters, only using a 5.1 set up).

I accept that the best solution will be to get an older multisync monitor/TV that will be compatible with the older consoles I like, and if I want to get newer high-def games in the future, to get a parallel system for those.
matt

Post by matt »

Jeffrey wrote:The only other knock against a GVM 2020 seems to be that the sound comes out in mono.
All old monitors invariably have terrible sound. If you want good sound, just run the audio through a stereo (this is easy to do).
I accept that the best solution will be to get an older multisync monitor/TV that will be compatible with the older consoles I like, and if I want to get newer high-def games in the future, to get a parallel system for those.
You are right - running old systems in RGB usually requires an old monitor, so if you want the best picture quality from everything you'll need at least two displays.

The GVM comes pretty close, actually. It'll play all of your old systems in RGB, and with a component/VGA transcoder you can run newer systems in high rez.
PC Engine Fan X!

I use my trusty Amiga 1080 & Sony CPD-9000 RGB monitors

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For my two Supergun setups, I either have a choice of using:

A.) Use my Japanese XRGB-2 upscan convertor with Japanese 21-pin RGB cable setup with a CRT-based SVGA PC monitor

or my second option is listed as follows:

B.) Use either my trusty Amiga 1080 14" analog RGB monitor or my even smaller Sony Trinitron based CPD-9000 9" analog RGB monitor for true low-resolution and very razor sharp presentation of playing arcade Jamma PCBs at home. My Sony CPD-9000 RGB monitor doesn't like the Seibu Kaihatsu SP1 mobo/SP1 cartridges setup...picture is a bit not stable but with using an Amiga 1080 monitor, that particular SP1 47kHz output issue goes away.

I believe the Sony CPD-9000 is the smallest analog RGB monitor ever produced + Sony did make a 9" analog RGB monitor with a 5-cable styled BNC input as well for the European market with 220v support.

Of course, the XRGB-2 does have built-in support for the aforementioned SP1 mobo and SP1 game cartridges while the later produced XRGB-2+ doesn't have arcade PCB support whatsoever (hence the desire for an XRGB-2 production model for the arcade Jamma PCB hobbist fan). The XRGB-2+ version does, however, have support for the LCD-type PC monitors (something that the 2nd generation XRGB-2 doesn't have).

Perhaps, the latest XRGB-3 upscan convertor that will be out soon for the Japanese consumer electronics market will have DVI support + HDMI support for the XBOX 360 & PS3, hmmm?

I recall that Microsoft does make an analog PC VGA adapter for it's XBOX 360 console and is being currently sold in the USA right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

matt: "good sound"

How would I get quality stereo sound from a GVM 2020?

I've been experimenting with a Hori upconverter for fun, but will probably get a GVM soon.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Not from the monitor. From the consoles. Take the red and white audio leads and plug them into a boombox, or stereo receiver.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.