Arghhh nooo! Need help with a serious cd scratch ;_;

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Turrican

Arghhh nooo! Need help with a serious cd scratch ;_;

Post by Turrican »

No I can't believe this - my Darius II ost cd has a serious scratch and doesn't play correctly - it freezes just at Olga Breeze! :cry: :cry: :cry:

It looks like a surface smudge, probably caused by the fact that the cds went out of its holder during shipping.

How do you guys deal with these? I don't want to polish my cd- only if all else fails!
X - P - B
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Take it to a music store and ask to have it resurfaced. Simple as that. I just did it with my SS Shining Wisdom disc. Had been poorly DIY resurfaced in the past and had poor loading as a result. 2 weeks later brand new disc and no more extra loading and or read errors.
At least call up some local shops and see if they offer pro-resurfacing/disc polishing.
What's wrong with polishing/resurfacing anyways?
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
elvis

Post by elvis »

Limbrooke wrote:What's wrong with polishing/resurfacing anyways?
Nothing, as long as it's done by someone with a clue. I've seen some hamfisted folk who make things worse by trying these sorts of things.

As you mentioned, and CD store will have equipment and competant staff who can help, I'm sure.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

My solution has always been boiling (described here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7956) since I dislike the lines on the CD that resurfacing often produces.

I've used an unfolded paperclip to made a hard slash through a computer CD, had it not read (which isn't good for the CD-ROM laser but whatever), boiled it, and then had it work fine. But this solution doesn't always work if the scratch is too deep. Then again, neither does resurfacing.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i might try the boiling method. my copy of cool cool toon has been dead for far too long, and if it doesn't work, cdr time.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Just avoid those DIY repair kits they sell at the stores. They contain something akin to car wax, that even though can polish your CDs and minimize the scratch to the point of having the code becoming readable again, is not the best solution. It's too abrasive. I second the resurfacing option. My MGS 1 disc had a deep ball point pen indentation on it, making it crash in one of the Codec cutscenes, but after resurfacing, it was absolutely brand-new looking. Go for it.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Anyone know any stores in the UK that do disc resurfacing? for say PS2 games?
Vidi Vici Veni
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Apparently resurfacing gdroms isn't a good idea though.

I used to do resurfacing at my co-op placement. It works wonders for cd's and dvd's. But My gdroms didn't seem to make it through.
=/
Marler

Post by Marler »

Games Focus near Goodge street tube station do resurfacing.
And best of all, if you want it 'while u wait' you're just round the
corner from one of the finest arcades in London, can't argue with that.
I've never had my stuff resurfaced there, but they have resurfaced some
slightly ropey looking saturn games I've purchased from them, and
they came up a treat.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Kingbuzzo wrote:Apparently resurfacing gdroms isn't a good idea though.

I used to do resurfacing at my co-op placement. It works wonders for cd's and dvd's. But My gdroms didn't seem to make it through.
Is there any way to treat DC discs? My DC fell off of my PC resulting in a huge scuff all the way round Under Defeat. Now it just asks me to restart, won't play at all >_<
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Neon wrote:Is there any way to treat DC discs? My DC fell off of my PC resulting in a huge scuff all the way round Under Defeat. Now it just asks me to restart, won't play at all >_<
precisely what happened with my Cool Cool Toon... well accept for how the accident occured... i was in one of the later levels (and for those who aren't "in the know" this game is a cock later on) and i tossed my controller, pulled dreamcast off shelf, disc popped off tray with door closed, instant coaster...
I have no sig whatsoever.