What screen to use?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jeffrey

What screen to use?

Post by Jeffrey »

I currently use a 36 inch Panasonic CRT flat screen, an old-style analog television.

I was thinking of getting a newer Plasma or LCD screen, both to save space and to get a better picture. But I don't know if this will be best for older, classic games. Will it stretch the picture or be incompatible in some other way with the older games and game consoles? Will the picture actually be better for classic gaming?

What screen do people here generally use?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Are you talking about Mame? Consoles? Supergun w/PCBs?

If you are after the classic look with older games, ideally you'd want a 19" Standard Resolution (15khz) arcade/rgb monitor. To use this with mame you'd need something like the ArcadeVGA video card which can sync down to 15khz.
Neon

Post by Neon »

http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html for mame.

As for RGB monitors in the US, if you can't have a cab Commodore 1084's work nicely.

Read up at gamesx.com for information on RGB, how to make cables etc.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

More complicated than I first thought. Hmm ...

I have a mix of old and new consoles: Sega Saturn Japan, a new Playstation 2, an old NES.

Is the arcade screen usable on new games as well, or is it really best optimized for the older 2-D ones?

Is a basic TV the most flexible? Is there a video converter that can help the TV out? Is a new LCD or Plasma out, since the resolution won't match well?