Game Acclerators (for PAL machines)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Danny

Game Acclerators (for PAL machines)

Post by Danny »

Hello boys and girls!

I know some of you people on this forum have been thinking about buying something called a "Game Acclerator" for you flashy Europien computer cosoles well your in luck because I have finaly managed to buy one of said disc's on Ebay for £2 and these are my findings...

Now as you know video PAL video games are roughtly 17.5% slower than there NSTC counterparts thanks to the Europien's navtive screen resultion. So a company called Blaze has released something called "Game Acclerator" which is said to make the game go at the same speed as the NSTC version and produce the same NSTC output.

Now when I loaded up my GA in to my ps2 is was very simple to use. Just press the X button when the disc tells you to and the tray will pop out and you insert the disc and press X again and the game loads although do not think you will be able to load imports with the GA because it won't work. (and yes I have tried it and I can confrim this!)

So far so good but then things start to go pear shaped. Because the NSTC screens have a smaller screen res' than the PAL TV's and because the programmers (Blaze) could not be bother to compensate for this the game will ahve a huge black border on the top of the screen which takes up roughtly 1/5th of the screen.

Saying that though the game was running at full speed. COSII was running at full speed although it was hardly noticable because I had "wait mode" on which slows down the game anyway to give it a more stable framerate.

So my final verdict? Avoid this like the plague because this is not worth yor hard earned cash and will never emulate the real deal of having a NSTC copy of the game.

Hope that helps you all! :)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Danny

Post by Danny »

opps sorry bro! :)
elvis

Re: Game Acclerators (for PAL machines)

Post by elvis »

Danny wrote:So my final verdict? Avoid this like the plague because this is not worth yor hard earned cash and will never emulate the real deal of having a NSTC copy of the game.
Nothing beats a modded console and an overseas distributor. :)

Being in a PAL territory really does suck, but thank goodness even the cheap sub-$100 TVs you can buy these days now include NTSC playback by default.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Well thats what I mean, my TV does do NSTC. I play all my other import stuff on NSTC mode on this TV and it works fine it's just the programme, it's pants lol!

Yeah now I'm sticking to buying stuff from over sea's but hopefuly gamestreet 505 will not mess up the Raiden III release but I have confidence in them since they did an awesome job on the Guily Gear Iskua port.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Danny wrote:Yeah now I'm sticking to buying stuff from over sea's but hopefuly gamestreet 505 will not mess up the Raiden III release but I have confidence in them since they did an awesome job on the Guily Gear Iskua port.
As long as they keep everything the same, and don't do silly things like changing the music or anything. I know it sounds obvious, but it's happened before where minor things are changed to try and "appeal to a western audience" or some other rubbish.

And of course, 50/60Hz must be selectable at startup. Adding it is hardly rocket science.

I recently got a hold of the Treasurebox compilation, and I love what they've done there. You can choose any combination of interlaced or non-interlaced, filtered or unfiltered. It's great. I think that should be mandatory for all 2D titles, just quietly.
D

Re: Game Acclerators (for PAL machines)

Post by D »

Danny wrote:Hello boys and girls!

I know some of you people on this forum have been thinking about buying something called a "Game Acclerator" for you flashy Europien computer cosoles well your in luck because I have finaly managed to buy one of said disc's on Ebay for £2 and these are my findings...

Now as you know video PAL video games are roughtly 17.5% slower than there NSTC counterparts thanks to the Europien's navtive screen resultion. So a company called Blaze has released something called "Game Acclerator" which is said to make the game go at the same speed as the NSTC version and produce the same NSTC output.

Now when I loaded up my GA in to my ps2 is was very simple to use. Just press the X button when the disc tells you to and the tray will pop out and you insert the disc and press X again and the game loads although do not think you will be able to load imports with the GA because it won't work. (and yes I have tried it and I can confrim this!)

So far so good but then things start to go pear shaped. Because the NSTC screens have a smaller screen res' than the PAL TV's and because the programmers (Blaze) could not be bother to compensate for this the game will ahve a huge black border on the top of the screen which takes up roughtly 1/5th of the screen.

Saying that though the game was running at full speed. COSII was running at full speed although it was hardly noticable because I had "wait mode" on which slows down the game anyway to give it a more stable framerate.

So my final verdict? Avoid this like the plague because this is not worth yor hard earned cash and will never emulate the real deal of having a NSTC copy of the game.

Hope that helps you all! :)
Well that just might be your tv!
A friend of mine has a pal tv and a pal PS2, he has games with 60 hz options. If you choose that he'll get borders indeed, maybe it's the PS2 itself or something, but it might be tv.
Danny

Post by Danny »

No it's the programme. I have been playing NSTC games (and consoles, I have an american Neo Geo MVS system at home!) on 60hrz on this TV for some time now and all of them are full screen (no borders) on 60hrz. besides I read other reviews saying that the programme did the same thing on their system as well.

I think it's because the programme is converting a PAL to a NSTC singial and the NSTC picture is of a lower res and the programme does not take that into account thus a huge border (worse than a PAL game!) at the top of the screen.

In other words it's not my machine or the TV, it's because the programme is quite frankly pants.
D

Post by D »

Danny wrote:No it's the programme. I have been playing NSTC games (and consoles, I have an american Neo Geo MVS system at home!) on 60hrz on this TV for some time now and all of them are full screen (no borders) on 60hrz. besides I read other reviews saying that the programme did the same thing on their system as well.

I think it's because the programme is converting a PAL to a NSTC singial and the NSTC picture is of a lower res and the programme does not take that into account thus a huge border (worse than a PAL game!) at the top of the screen.

In other words it's not my machine or the TV, it's because the programme is quite frankly pants.
OK thanks for the warning!
Danny

Post by Danny »

No problem, thought I warn a few people who were thinking of buying one on this forum as duiscussed on the PAL shmups info thread etc.