Giga Wing DC problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fighter17
Banned User

Giga Wing DC problems

Post by Fighter17 »

I just got the game for the Dreamcast, and when I play it, Stage 4 is very unplayable. The graphics are screwed up as shit and when I try to exit the game, it freezes on me. The disc has some minor marks on it, but no major marks. I just don't get it why it's not working.
heurhface

Post by heurhface »

This is the Giga Wing he bought from me, for the record. The last time I played it, it was working perfectly. :evil:
SAM

Post by SAM »

Is that happen every time?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

SAM wrote:Is that happen every time?
Yes, everytime. :(
SAM

Post by SAM »

If the problem also happen on another DC. Then the only cure would be sanding the disc. You need a special meachine to do that, I think there might be stores providing this services.

Or are there any member here whom could do that, I got some PS1 game in need for this service too.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Or it's easier boil the disc. Immerse the whole disc in boiling water for no more than 15 seconds and then dry it up. That should help alleviate the issue (either reducing the problem or eliminating it altogether). Hard to believe but it works. Besides, you have nothing to lose and Giga Wing only costs about $10 new anyway.

Disc marks are hard to tell; sometimes, minor marks or seemingly no visible marks at all can affect gameplay (and esp. sound) if it's cut at the worst angle.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Ganelon wrote:Or it's easier boil the disc. Immerse the whole disc in boiling water for no more than 15 seconds and then dry it up. That should help alleviate the issue (either reducing the problem or eliminating it altogether). Hard to believe but it works. Besides, you have nothing to lose and Giga Wing only costs about $10 new anyway.
Could you explain the thoery behind this method? :o Sound strange to me. :roll:
elvis

Post by elvis »

SAM wrote:Could you explain the thoery behind this method? :o Sound strange to me.
It sounds downright dangerous to me.

I'm going to step out on a limb here: copyright protection is designed to ensure people do the right thing and pay for copyright material. You have paid for a legal copy of Gigawing. If the media containing the copyright material fails, in my eyes you still own the right to play it despite it's physical state. I don't see why anyone would have a problem if you simply downloaded a DC selfboot copy of the same game if your original media fails.

Of course, this is the grey area of the law. People can abuse this theory to purchase non-working games on the cheap and excuse themselves when they download illegal copies. But hey, you know within yourself if you've done the right thing or not. A license to use material is a virtual thing, not a physical one. It shouldn't end with the life of your physical disc.

Just my 2c. Flameproof suit on.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

No clue on the theory behind boiling. I'm guessing that when the plastic is warmed, it covers more of the gap so that the scratch produces less of an impact when the laser goes over it. But that's just my guess. I value results over concepts.

Also, there's really no point for anyone to say anything about this method if one doesn't try it first. Baseless conjecture like this is disappointing when you consider that you're simply boiling plastic, not microwaving it or anything. Oh, and BTW, you should hold the CD in the pot of boiling water with a thread long enough that you don't risk touching the boiling water itself. And for heaven's sake, clean out the pot afterwards and DON'T drink the boiled water.

I have nothing further to say on this subject, considering I was just offering helpful advice. Test for yourselves and be amazed. Or don't and just be about your way.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

@ Ganelon

I just bought a copy of Gigawing (jp) that was scratched as hell. I was going to try to get it sanded and stuff but supposedly this ruins GD Roms.

So anyway, its been boiled and I'm going to see if it works. Heres hoping.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

It didn't work, but probably just because the disc is too scratched.