Carrier Airwing CPS-1 input problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Carrier Airwing CPS-1 input problems

Post by D »

Player 1, The left direction is shorted.
So when the game start immediatly the player goeds to the left.
This is just this pcb. Other games work fine. It has nothing to do with the harnas. I have traced pin 20 for left back to some chip, but from there I have to keep looking. If anybody has any suggestions.
Also dip switch for flip screen does not work and in the test menu option 5 Character is not accesible, go figure. But these are not a problem, the left short is.
If anybody has any clues or tips, please help me out. I already looked for pins making contact all over the board. I allready read bloodflowers' 17 page file with all types of fixing tips. Great stuff. Any help tips, etc are appreciated. What should be the next course of action.
D

Post by D »

Someone mentioned it could be a faulty IC.
How can I test which one? trace it? how can I identify it?
there are lots of chips on the board. what could be the name of it?
please help
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Well does that pin on the edge connector read connected to ground? It shouldn't be grounded before it gets back to that first chip, if so then thats your problem.
D

Post by D »

Dave_K. wrote:Well does that pin on the edge connector read connected to ground? It shouldn't be grounded before it gets back to that first chip, if so then thats your problem.
Hmmmm. I know most of you wish me lightning for asking, but how can I tell.?
I tried putting the jamma connector in crooked so that voltage, video, etc. connected, but so that the player controls were not connected, so this how I know for certain it is not caused by the harness.

So my basic question is: how can you tell if something is grounded?
It has voltage 0. shouldn't it have that voltage anyway? no?
So it has voltage on it 0,1 VOLT and then when it is grounded it becomes 0 and the processor knows a direction is pressed? How does it work anyway
I'm so learning this.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

On most multimeters, there is a continuity test. For digital multimeter this you hear a beep when you touch both the black and red probes together. Using this principal, with continuity test setting of your multimeter, put one probe on the jamma edge connector tooth for that button, and the other probe on the jamma edge connector for ground. If you hear a beep, then they are somehow connecting! :D

Alternately, if your jamme harness edge connector will allow you to extract the pin that connect to that button/tooth on the PCB, just extract that pin+wire, plug in the harness and see if the ship if still going to the right. But all this will prove is if its the jamma harness that the problem, and you already said you ruled that out but testing with other PCBs.