Is it safe to Tate a plasma-screen TV?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Zweihander

Is it safe to Tate a plasma-screen TV?

Post by Zweihander »

Is it? I looked around some threads, couldn't find any info on the matter. All I know is, wide-screen plasma TV would theoretically = pure orgasmic shmupping on Tate, and if I'm right about plasma screens, the "let it sit for 15 mins to de-magnetize" thing wouldn't be an issue, since plasma screens don't need to magnetize? o_O
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Plasmas do not use a magnet-controlled electron gun to generate a picture. They do not suffer the magnetising effects of CRTs, and do not need degaussing.

The only concern with tateing a plasma is making sure that they run cool enough. You'll see a grill in the top of your plasma which is designed to let the rising heat from the unit escape.

Some plasmas are designed to be rotated, and will have a similar grill on one of the sides. If you have one of these plasmas and are rotating it the wrong way, or have a plasma that is not designed to be rotated, be sure to add some fan-forced cooling to the unit to suck hot air out.

You can do this quite simply and cheaply by attaching a small battery or powerpack powered DC fan to the outside of the unit (some "blu-tak" or even tape will hold it down fine). It should be small enough to hide so that it can't be seen from the front. No need to hack up your plasma internally and avoid warranty.

But yes, tateing a 42" or bigger plasma and playing 480p and up shmups is pure heaven. On widescreen units the aspect ratio is often out, but after a few plays your brain wil adjust easily.

I'm sure a forum member in here has posted shots of 480p DC Ikaruga on a similar setup before.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I think the problem is not Tating the plasma-screen TV.

Plasma-screen TV easily pone to burn in image, and playing TV games on it is really riskly. You don't want the word "HIGH SCORCES", "PLAYER 1" & "PLAYER 2" burn on your costly Plasma-screen TV, right?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
elvis

Post by elvis »

Newer plasmas have plenty of neat features like the ability to move the picture around the screen just a few pixels every few minutes to reduce burn in.

Also, plasma burn in is non-permanent (unlike CRT burn in, which is). Playing for half an hour to an hour a day will not kill your plasma, and even if it does create minor burn in, displaying some other random information to it for a few hours will reverse the effect.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Thanks. ^^ I was slightly worried about plasma burn, but it doesn't look like it'll be an issue. Thanks again, denizens. ^^
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.