43%
nothing beats a pad hack !
57%

Total votes: 7

fl0w

xgaming interface ?

Post by fl0w »

Hi,

I'm building an arcade stick. I was planning to use the xgaming interface (which surprisingly appears to be rarely found is homemade sticks), as I've already got an X-Arcade with various adapters.

Some people claim the X-Arcade has lag when not plugged into a PS/2 port, due to the adapters. I didn't really feel it and also I'd really like to be able to use my stick on my various consoles... Here's my dilemma.

Opinions and advices more than welcome !
np: Image
zakk

Post by zakk »

It's rarely found in home sticks because it's expensive.

$60 for the DIY kit+$20 for each console adds up fast.

I've heard people report lag with some of the adapters, seems to pop up more with the Dreamcast adapter than any others.

Also, their DIY kit is kinda retarded to work with, as each 'group' of inputs has it's own 'ground' and will only work with that particular one. It makes wiring things a bit...different. Not so much of an issue with a dedicated arcade stick; but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to put it in my cab(s)
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I can vouch for the straight PS/2 setup...as well as the included USB setup. Keep in mind, however, that if you want to use a USB adaptor, get the one from X-Gaming. Your standard off-the-shelf USB adaptor will give you shitty results.
elvis

Post by elvis »

What are you using the controller for?

If it's going to be a case of "I use this on 15 different consoles", then the X-Arcade is worth the money. If you're using this on a PS2 only, then go with a pad hack for lag-free and hassle free gaming.
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

75% PS2, 22% GC and the rest is for the PC. I already have the adapters, as I've got an X-Arcade...

OK, I was worried about the lag but if it's OK, then I'll go for the xgaming interface !
np: Image
zakk

Post by zakk »

fl0w wrote:75% PS2, 22% GC and the rest is for the PC. I already have the adapters, as I've got an X-Arcade...

OK, I was worried about the lag but if it's OK, then I'll go for the xgaming interface !
Well, the lag thing is a bit of an unknown. There are many people who say there's lag with the adapters, and plenty of people who say there isn't. Either there's a bunch of people who just don't notice the lag, or something else is going on. I'd suspect they've revised their adapters over time without telling anyone. Since you already have an x-arcade, you can just use it with whatever consoles you want and determine if you feel any lag yourself.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Some games make lag muich mor noticable than others.Many platformers are not good to judge lag on, for example.

however, ones that require precision inertia based jumping (like SUper Mario Bros) are very good games to judge lag on. If there is any lag, you'll ahve a devil of a tie with some of the precision jumping and keep runnign off the edge when you try to ake jumps you KNOW you cna make on the real hardware.

It's harder to spot lag if it's consistent in shooters, but it will DEFINITELY cause a drop in your performance if it is there! That few ms response tiem will make the diffrence between life and death.