Projector home cinema box, good for shmups?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guardians Knight

Projector home cinema box, good for shmups?

Post by Guardians Knight »

So, ive been considering getting a projector for a while now, my thinking being that since it's a small box it would be easy to tate and yoko compared to my huge and heavy toshiba tv. However i was wondering if these fairly expensive bits of kit like to be turned on their side or if it would cause them to break, can anyone tell me if this is the case please, or if indeed they are compatible with consoles?

Cheers

GK
FRO

Post by FRO »

I ocassionally use a Dell projector from my office to play shmups tated. It works pretty well, at least the one I am using. Being the system administrator for a hospital has its priveleges!
elvis

Post by elvis »

The only issue with tating any display is heat. Luckily every single projector on the planet uses fan-forced cooling, so tipping them on their side won't do any damage.

Remember that projectors are often designed to be mounted upside down from your ceiling, so using them in tate won't be an issue. The only thing I can recommend is making sure it can't fall over. I'd make a little stand out of wood or something (kinda like the stands you see for holding up consoles) to make sure it doesn't fall over and break something mid-play.

Playing shmups on massive screens certainly reduces your right to whinge about tiny bullets. :)
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

thanks guys, time to start saving i think.

Does either of you guys know if there are projectors out there with a proper scart input? all the ones ive seen on ebay only have the rgb input and not the rectangle scart input. its important cos i can only get my import ps2 games to play in colour via an old ps1 scart lead, my new rgb lead only displays jap games in black and white.
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

The Panasonic AE-100 to AE-900 series (evolutionary, AE-900 being the latest) have had SCART inputs as far as I know. Don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else, but it's obvious why they're not popular: size. Plus you can usually feed RGB to the VGA input, maybe need a sync-stripper in between but the connectivity is there in either case.

From personal experience, though, shmupping on a big screen isn't that hot. You have to sit quite a bit away to have any kind of overview of the playing field, by which time the bullet pattern recognition and "feel" for movement will actually degrade. What I mean to say is: I played like a 2-year old toddler on the projector, and not the 2-year-old who was acing GT4 in that video either! What's more, bulb based displays don't lend themselves to spontaneous, short burst play. Turning them off and on often wears out the bulb quickly, and they're expensive. Projection is also very sensitive to ambient light, the image washes out completely in daylight. Do you enjoy shmupping in a cave? I've been using a projector for 3.5 years for my film addiction and I haven't shmupped on it in at least 18 months. The appliance doesn't suit my pattern of use at all in this case.

Good for the experience, but not something I'd chose as my default shmupping setup.
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

Bingo wrote:Good for the experience, but not something I'd chose as my default shmupping setup.
+1

I don't feel comfortable with a projector. My advice : get a bit TV, 29" is great.
np: Image