dc stick ps2 mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
autechre

dc stick ps2 mod

Post by autechre »

i want to mod my one dc stick to use it with both consoles dc AND ps2.

i think i have to solder the wires from the stick and the buttons to a ps pad PCB. so in the end i would have a dc stick with two joypad cables (the original and the ps-pad one) is that right?

please don`t laugh at me if something isn`t correct as i am new to this and im not that technically talented.

Can anyboy help me with a tutorial site for this mod?

thanks for your help!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

That sounds like the way to do it.

If you want to make it a little bit cleaner when you're not using the PS2 cable, what you can do is mount a D-sub connector on your DC stick (and it's also possible to mount a D-sub connector on a PS1 digital controller too) and just connect the two with a detachable cable.

Otherwise, wiring is very straightforward, I don't think a tutorial is necessary. If you know how to solder, and can distinguish between live wires and ground, that's all there is to it. Connect DC ground to PS1 ground, and the DC lives to the matching lives on the PS1 pad.
autechre

Post by autechre »

iatneH wrote:That sounds like the way to do it.

If you want to make it a little bit cleaner when you're not using the PS2 cable, what you can do is mount a D-sub connector on your DC stick (and it's also possible to mount a D-sub connector on a PS1 digital controller too) and just connect the two with a detachable cable.

Otherwise, wiring is very straightforward, I don't think a tutorial is necessary. If you know how to solder, and can distinguish between live wires and ground, that's all there is to it. Connect DC ground to PS1 ground, and the DC lives to the matching lives on the PS1 pad.
Thanks for your reply!
Which points would you suggest to connect (solder), from pcb to pcb or from the playstation pcb to the buttons and stick?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

In order for your little venture to work you MUST cut the 5v lines coming off of both pcbs and send them to a DPST toggle switch. Then you will have both 5v lines coming from the controllers themselves (before they hit the pcb, but the same wire actually) sent to the middle prong.

here is an illustration, if you do not do this you will draw 10v from your ports and blow them unless you put a diode in line with both 5v lines. Don't take my word 100% on the in/out part, but this is how you do it.

// || \\
ps dc/ps dc
out in out
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

thchardcore wrote:In order for your little venture to work you MUST cut the 5v lines coming off of both pcbs and send them to a DPST toggle switch. Then you will have both 5v lines coming from the controllers themselves (before they hit the pcb, but the same wire actually) sent to the middle prong.

here is an illustration, if you do not do this you will draw 10v from your ports and blow them unless you put a diode in line with both 5v lines. Don't take my word 100% on the in/out part, but this is how you do it.

// || \\
ps dc/ps dc
out in out
I never thought about that, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to do this if you're never planning on plugging the stick into both consoles at once, and this is only if you tap into the +5V line on the PS1 board. For a bare-bones stick mod, you only need to grab the live wires from the sticks and buttons, you don't need to power any IC's on the DC controller board itself.