Show your Tate setup thats not a cab or arcade machine

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I've got a virtua stick pro, player 1 side is connected to my pc for mame, player 2 side is connected to my dreamcast :) I'll post pics tomorrow.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Compaq MV920 19" CRT, given to me for free by a workmate.
Chunky custom controller (hacked PS1 pad, Mag-Stik Plus from Ultimarc).
tiktak

Post by tiktak »

I finally mounted mag-stick + sanwa buttons into dc stick case. I had to make "addon" which is wooden bottom (about 3cm). But what I wanted to say is THIS IS AMAZING :D Joy moves very quick because of very short angle, much faster and more precise than seimitsu and sanwa one! What is your opinion stuntman about those parts?
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

tiktak, prior to building my own controller I used an X-Arcade which was OK, but I figured a tighter stick might give me an edge. The Mag-Stik took a little bit of getting used to because of the much shorter throw, but now I feel like I have a couple of milliseconds extra to react (makes all the difference) and, yes it's precise. After this any other stick might feel just a little bit sloppy!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

my tate setup:

P1: mame
P2: dreamcast
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

np: Image
gs68

Post by gs68 »

This evening I was playing Battle Garegga with the controls tate'd, and I got around to trying to figure out a way to play on a tate screen somehow, since I'm on a laptop.

Then I realized that's what I could use my secondary monitor for.

And yes that's my knee down there.

1st time I turned the monitor on within 15 seconds of rotation, not bad. I proceeded to give Garega and DDP a try; I noticed that it was a lot easier to see and work through bullet mazes. I managed to beat the stage 2 boss without panic-bombing.

But on, sebsequent tries, the corner of the monitor would distort color; luckily this gets fixed when I turn my monitor back to the normal position.

Now I just need a compact TV for my PS2 shmups, and a shelf to go with it.

I think I'll just go back to breaking the code of the shmupper by playing on a horizontal screen.
elvis

Post by elvis »

gs68 wrote: But on, sebsequent tries, the corner of the monitor would distort color; luckily this gets fixed when I turn my monitor back to the normal position.
A degausse will fix that. Any PC monitor made in the last 10 years will include a degausse function via a dedicated button or through the monitor's internal onscreen menu.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

here's some pictures I took just yesterday.

it's my ghetto cab!

Haven't measured it, but I belive it's something like a 15'' daewoo vga monitor I found at the salvation army for 4.99 CAD. Top it off with a sanwa modded Agetec Dreamcast stick and I'm ready to go!

and of course, to prove I own the game; there's Radirgy in the dc that I modded with 2 blue led's

=/
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Let's see.... 29" Loewe TV, slim PS2, PSOne, Dreamcast, DDP DOJ, Ikaruga (sealed! but not for long, probably...), Gradius V, HRAP (the buttons look like the original ones in this photo, but they're blue OBSF-30RGs), Agetec stick w/ HRAP2 parts. There's a gcon45 and swap magic hiding in there too.

I meant to get a photo of my setup while I was on holiday, but I forgot... it was my laptop turned on its side (Thinkpad T30) propped up with a black GBA SP, and my HRAP.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

My new uber streamlined set-up. What with selling my Astrocity cab and being pcb-less, and now the Commodore monitor in the attic again and PC dying, im playing now using emulation instead. Sooo much easier! and cheaper! Im not ashamed!

My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
finngamer

Post by finngamer »

Well, here's my behemoth. Not a permanent setup, naturally. I just wanted to see what a 32" widescreen looks like tated. :lol:

I'm not a fan of warped proportions, but isn't the tate mode of Under Defeat made for widescreen? I mean, at least the menus are compressed, just waiting to be stretched over the full screen.

It seems to be some kind of a compromise, also leaving a little bit out of the sides. (For example, see the scores on the left side)

Looks pretty good, though. :)
D

Post by D »

finngamer wrote:Well, here's my behemoth. Not a permanent setup, naturally. I just wanted to see what a 32" widescreen looks like tated. :lol:

I'm not a fan of warped proportions, but isn't the tate mode of Under Defeat made for widescreen? I mean, at least the menus are compressed, just waiting to be stretched over the full screen.

It seems to be some kind of a compromise, also leaving a little bit out of the sides. (For example, see the scores on the left side)

Looks pretty good, though. :)
Check for a service menu code to adjust your screen just like you would your computer monitor. I am not talking about the default 4:3 16:9 widescreen, zoom settings, but about precise adjustment of the picture.
finngamer

Post by finngamer »

D wrote:Check for a service menu code to adjust your screen just like you would your computer monitor. I am not talking about the default 4:3 16:9 widescreen, zoom settings, but about precise adjustment of the picture.
Adjustment? For what purpose?

Not only do I like the "compromise", but you can't adjust the picture, as the edges are missing from both sides.
raiden

Post by raiden »

Not only do I like the "compromise", but you can't adjust the picture, as the edges are missing from both sides.
you can adjust the picture using a service menu. Service menus are hidden featuresets present in almost every TV. They are called service menus because they are supposed to be used by service technicians called to "repair" a TV, so they offer some risky adjustments like color balance which are very hard to repair once you did something wrong. So the basic advice when dealing with service menus is always write the default value down before you change anything, so you can change it back later if something went wrong.
CFO

Post by CFO »

Some commodore monitor with custom stick with Sanwa parts.
finngamer

Post by finngamer »

raiden wrote:
you can adjust the picture using a service menu. Service menus are hidden featuresets present in almost every TV. They are called service menus because they are supposed to be used by service technicians called to "repair" a TV, so they offer some risky adjustments like color balance which are very hard to repair once you did something wrong. So the basic advice when dealing with service menus is always write the default value down before you change anything, so you can change it back later if something went wrong.
Again, for what purpose? I just said I liked the mode.

And there's nothing wrong with my TV, it's just the one mode in one game. Naturally I won't be adjusting my TV for this, because then everything else on it would be fucked up.

Ummm... Forget it. I'll just take this to the UD thread.
kemical

Post by kemical »

oxtsu wrote:
Kingbuzzo wrote:
oxtsu wrote:Here's an old pic of my PVM-1910.
cool, someone told me they didn't tate at all. guess they were wrong.
You seem to be getting bad infos all over the place.

They were probably thinking of PVM-2530. It's been said to have troubles, though I can't recall if it was just discoloration or what. It it was, that's nothing a degausse wand couldn't fix.
I aggree, 1910's are total tate machines! handles and everything.

I wish I had pics of my old pizza-box joystick setup. Right now all my arcade stuff is in storage from moving :cry:
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I am very unlucky becouse I can't play my games in tate. If I turn my TV, the colour of screen will change to green. I can play shmups without tate, but it would be so much nicer to play them, the they are meant to be played. So you got any tips how the colour could be normal with tate? Or have I buy a new TV... :(
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

My tate setup looks like this:

XYXZYZ

Post by XYXZYZ »

*Lurker wanders in from DP*

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84424 < Pics and descriptions of my setup
http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/ ... tup?page=1 < All my gaming junk :D
CIT

Post by CIT »

I really love this thread, so I'm going to bump it with a pic of my setup:

Let's see some moar tate-setups ppl! :D
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

just moved to vancouver. So I got a new setup.

Everything is hooked up via s-video to the 27" Magnavox

=/
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

Kingbuzzo wrote:just moved to vancouver. So I got a new setup.

if i lived in Vancouver id ask to come over. :)
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

I do not like shmups on LCD (I get screen tearing no matter what setting I use) but until I make room for my CRT this will have to do.

That pink Seimitsu has a xbox 360 pcb.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Daigoro wrote:
Kingbuzzo wrote:just moved to vancouver. So I got a new setup.

if i lived in Vancouver id ask to come over. :)
Hey, don't expect me to tate that thing for just anyone who comes over :p

Although that's what I did when iatneH came over with his ketsui and esprade + supergun fun bag. (shoulda taken pics >_<)

It's still an experimental project. Though now it seems to have some colour issues beside the speaker, though it disappears after a couple minutes, it becomes once more present after the screen is refreshed. It's still under warranty, so I'll see if it's anything worth fixing.

right now my dc tate setup is with my 19" Samsung syncmaster 997df. Kinda small, but the vga is miles beyond svideo
=/
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Those HRAPs look great with the caps on buttons 4 and 8.

I think i'd do the same except shift all the buttons to the right and put the caps on the left :D
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

A camel is a horse designed by a committee
CIT

Post by CIT »

You have your bed connected to your supergun!? :D
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

CIT wrote:You have your bed connected to your supergun!? :D
I wish, nothing like playing Garegga while sleeping.

Thats just where I hide my sticks. ;)
A camel is a horse designed by a committee