Seimitsu modded Dreamcast stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i just recieved the sanwa and seimitsu sticks. i removed the metal plate, but they don't fit in the sega arcade stick plastic casing.
what should i cut and with what tool?
edit: i have seen the link in japanese on the first pgae but i must admit i'm a bit lost. he breaks some plastic on the sides but not all?
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Depends which stick you're going to use and how high you want it.

If you're using a Seimitsu LS32 then all the thin plastic walls and the 4 old screw mounts need removing so the basin area is completley flat, either with a dremmel or just some pliers. Even then the stick will be very low.

If that doesn't bother you then cool, less work, but if it is too low for you then all of the plastic will have to go and the stick will have to be mounted on the top metal plate like on mine.

Then, there's always this cool site too -

http://www.tychom.org/stick/
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i figured it out. i did one seimitsu and one sanwa, the sanwa one feels a bit better for shmups, the seimitsu feels better at soulcalibur.
i didn't change the buttons, the screw ones i bought are too large, maybe later.
here are a few pics of the seimitsu one:

you need to remove everything.
note that the screw supports are removed, but with the seimitsu i didn't need to break the plastic walls of the inner stick casing.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3264 ... ove0rw.jpg

positionning the screws
i used 3x12 wood screws (metric units)
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8622/s ... top7xv.jpg

done, from over
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2118 ... ont3np.jpg

done, from under
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2039/doneback0on.jpg
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Question:
Screw type or clip type buttons for modding a DC stick? The button housing is only just 30mm wide, so I'm guessing with the screws I'd have to cut down the circular button housing underneath for the screw to fit and hold. With clip buttons I wouldn't have to cut down the housing, instead I'd have to cut two small holes in the sides of the housing to allow the clips to expand and hold, but I can't see how I'd get a drill in there to do that.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Mikey wrote:Question:
Screw type or clip type buttons for modding a DC stick?
Without cutting down the underside housings...

Seimitsu - Either, but with screw type there will only be enough clearance for one or two turns of the ring. It has worked fine for me.

Sanwa: Snap-in only. Screw type body is too short (exception: some older productions of OBSN-30RG used a longer cased button like Seimitsu).

It's not necessary to make notches for the clips. The dots right below the button trim/bezel are the secondary holding mechanism and usually work just fine alone (it will depend on how precisely you have shaved the control panel button holes). Another factor, Sanwa's dots are a bit larger than Seimitsu.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I see what you mean about the length of the screw between Sanwa and Seimitsu. I was hoping to get a Sanwa stick with Sanwa buttons so the colours would match exactly. I'm not sure what I'll choose now.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

If you can get ahold of Seimitsu rings (they are thinner than Sanwa), OBSN-30RG are a go w/o cutting the underside housings. However as I said before, so long as you shave the CP button holes reasonably well, the snap-in OBSFs will fit very tightly with just the dots holding.

I have some spare rings from damaged PS-14-GNs, but I'm not really interested in selling them alone. Maybe on the next group order if you are buying other stuff I could include them.

btw, a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel will make short work of the underside housings.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

oxtsu wrote: btw, a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel will make short work of the underside housings.
Yes. Thanks. I think that's what I'll do.

Finally, maybe this is a silly question, but is the mounting plate on the sticks really necessary? What is it for exactly? Positioning the stick or absorbing pressue or something like that?
SAM

Post by SAM »

theevilfunkster wrote:If you're using a Seimitsu LS32 then all the thin plastic walls and the 4 old screw mounts need removing so the basin area is completley flat, either with a dremmel or just some pliers. Even then the stick will be very low.
Yes, I take this apporch when I mod mine with Seimitsu LS32. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Mikey wrote:Finally, maybe this is a silly question, but is the mounting plate on the sticks really necessary? What is it for exactly? Positioning the stick or absorbing pressue or something like that?
I have left it out when modifying my DC stick as it was in the way with the controller board. I don't think it's really necessary but oxtsu might know better.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

The mounting plates are used primarily for arcade cabinets; the purpose is for easier changing between sticks and no screw/bolt showing on the control panel surface.

For the DC stick mod w/LS-32-01, you could use it's step plate in such a way that screw heads are not on top of the panel.