PSP Gradius Portable - anyone have compatibility issues?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cl25

PSP Gradius Portable - anyone have compatibility issues?

Post by cl25 »

I just received my PSP Gradius Portable from NCSX, but I can't get it to work on my PSP unit (version 1.50).

Instead, I get a message saying that I need to update my PSP unit to version 2.50 before playing the game. That would be fine, except that I don't want to lose the 1.50 firmware (and all the homebrew applications that I have on it - NeoCD, SNES, Genesis, PC Engine emulators).

Is there any way at all to play Gradius Portable without permanently losing my 1.50 firmware? I know that there are software-based hacked version changers out there (eg. sxtversion changer) , but as far as I know, they can only update a 1.50 version to a 2.00/2.01 version.

Any way around this problem? Any way to update (via a hack) to version 2.50 without losing the 1.50 firmware? Otherwise, the Gradius Portable will have to remain on the shelf... :(
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Right now, no. When GTA came out (2.0) there was a lot of discussion about that... basically, 2.0 and 2.5 introduce new features (a new audio codec, amongst other stuff) and just using the umd emulator or devhook will make the game load, but it'll crash (the umd, not an iso of the umd, though in theory that would do the same thing...). There have been a few attempts at faking 2.0, but no luck yet.

I was thinking about gradius portable and evexex... at this rate I'm going to have to have one psp for coding, and one for games....

-ReK
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Ok... looks like what I said there may be incorrect. This apparently works with street fighter.... upgrade to 2.0, then use pspsetx to set your firmware version to 2.5. Then the game should just run.

-ReK
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

ReKleSS wrote:This apparently works with street fighter.... upgrade to 2.0, then use pspsetx to set your firmware version to 2.5. Then the game should just run.
Interesting. Has anyone tried this for Gradius?
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

best option is just to keep one for homebrew and one for retail. not a problem ifd you aren't a pirate, right? :)
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

ReKleSS wrote:Ok... looks like what I said there may be incorrect. This apparently works with street fighter.... upgrade to 2.0, then use pspsetx to set your firmware version to 2.5. Then the game should just run.

-ReK
Couldn't you use this to downgrade your PSP? Set the firmware number to 1.0 and then "upgrade" to 1.5 ?