Ps2 controller question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ryosnk

Ps2 controller question

Post by ryosnk »

My ps2 controller was droped and a piece of material went inside the controller. Is it safe to open the controller to remove the object or if I open it would it be hard or could it cause damage to the controller? Thanks for any info.
landshark

Post by landshark »

You can easily open the controller in a few ways.

- Twist it really hard and bust it apart while swearing at the screen.

- Throw it really hard at the ground while swearing at the screen.

Use a phillips screw driver.

Only 1 of these allows the controller to go back together ;)

There is no danger in taking apart the controller. You just need to be careful not to lose the buttons :)
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Yeah, you should be okay to open it up. You'll need a small jeweler's type phillips screwdriver. Everything fits together pretty well, so you shouldn't have a problem putting it back together. As I'm sure you know, you shouldn't dismantle the controller while it's plugged into a system that's turned on, as you might fry it. Good luck.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Shouldn't be a problem at all, I take all of my pads apart every few months to remove all of the grime that collects in the grooves.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Err, none of you had problems reinserting the L2 and R2 tabs while reassembling your PS2 controllers? For PS1, it was a very sturdy tab but for the PS2 it's really flimsy and easily breakable. And the analog button sensitivity acted weird when I reassembled my controller.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ganelon wrote:Err, none of you had problems reinserting the L2 and R2 tabs while reassembling your PS2 controllers? For PS1, it was a very sturdy tab but for the PS2 it's really flimsy and easily breakable. And the analog button sensitivity acted weird when I reassembled my controller.
Word. reinserting L2 and R2 was pure hell last time I tried... However, after a while my dualshock went crazy (it didn't recognize some buttons anymore) and I ended up buying another.
X - P - B
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, I ended up buying another controller as well. I'm not so sure how safe it is to replace PS2 pads with everything intact. PS1 and other pads (SS, MD, SNES, GC) don't seem to be an issue though.
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

You should be fine to open one up. If you are careful, there shouldn't be an issue.
-Jon in Canada
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

^ Have you done it? I guess Ganelon and Turrican were careful when opening their controllers, so how about some guidelines?
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
OneEyedJack

Guidelines

Post by OneEyedJack »

Everything is pretty simple.

Take the small screw drivers and take out all the screws.

Pro Tip: Have a small dish to put the screws into

Take the back off. It should come off very easy with all the screws out. On my Sony DualShock 1 there are 7 screws. 3 on each side, one in the middle. Depending on the piece of material, if it is small enough it may be able to shaken loose at this stage.

I can only guess that the small piece of material has gone in thru the front via a button

Having assumed that, inside there will be a pcb screwed down to the front half of the casing. There are a number of smaller screws to unscrew.

Pro Tip: Make sure you notice the difference in sizes to make the reassembly easy.
ProTip: Have 2 dishes for each scew size

Once you unscrew the PCB, pull it back carefully. There will be a rubber 'lining' which provides for the springyness of the buttons. The good news is that there is only one way to fit the lining in on reassembly. Also the buttons will be loose, so ensure that the button face is always held face down so you don't create an annoying mess. You should be able to get the piece at this stage.

Then it is just a few moments more to reassemble everything carefully and screw everything together.

Like SuperHitachi mentioned, unplug the controller from the PS2 while you do it.
-Jon in Canada
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

The question is, are you talking about the DS1 or the DS2? As I mentioned, anybody should be able to open and close he DS1 pad with no problems as long as they keep track of the screws and buttons and where everything goes.

The DS2 has very weak plastic tabs that support the L2 and R2 sensors that can break if you accidentally push on it with minimum force. On the other hand, the DS1 tabs are quite durable and won't break unless you try really, really hard. The L2 and R2 buttons on the DS2 are also much harder to align correctly due to this fact; push the tabs underneath the buttons the wrong way and they'll snap. Good luck getting anything aligned once that happens.

And even if you get everything together, the DS2 requires perfect connection since it detects the hardness of button presses based on how much force the button exerts on the sensor. This never happened when I was cleaning out a DS1 controller since there is no pressure sensitivity.

If your controller works fine (mine already had a slight problem with the right d-pad button sensor not detecting anything unless maximum force was applied), I'd highly suggest you don't do anything, based on my personal experience having already cleaned controllers from various other systems with no issues. But if you want to take the risks, good luck.