Mini projector, could solve your TATE problems!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Mini projector, could solve your TATE problems!

Post by neorichieb1971 »

http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=572

A mini projector that fits in your hand, 20000 hours of lamp life, runs on batteries. Has composite/svideo and VGA inputs with a res of 800x600. Uses DLP technology. Price $700. 21" from 12" distance. From 6 feet you must be able to get a pretty decent sized picture.

The only undisclosed concern is the lumens output. Obviously its a key factor.

I'm thinking of getting one. I mean you can shmup anywhere with that. If using a supergun with an XRGB2+ you can tate, go sideways and upside down in 2 seconds. :D
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
kemical

Post by kemical »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
thats really cool! I've been considering a dlp projector, but since I'd not really use it for anything serious other than occasional games/divx I kinda decided not to get one... but a mini projector that size!! :o
japtor

Post by japtor »

21" from 12" distance. From 6 feet you must be able to get a pretty decent sized picture.
sorta wondered about that when i heard about this thing a while ago, how big a picture can it output well? the short distance for 20" is cool and all, but why not mention how big it can output. basically if i get a projector its gonna be used for a big ass screen. wouldnt use it for shooters though, well maybe once in a while for the novelty for playing them on a 60-100" screen. not sure if itd be safe to run it on its side though, depends on how the airflow/cooling is designed.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Has anyone shmupped well with a projector during daylight (e.g. with the windows open)? Would you even be able to see the bullets properly?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The size of the screen is relative to the distance the wall is from the unit. Obviously with a projector the image clarity is relative to the distance too.

I have no doubt you could blow the picture up to 6 feet with reasonable clarity, but it would need to be in a darkened room. The usual lamp life for a projector is 2000 hours or so for about 600-1500 lumens, for this unit to get 20,000 hours I doubt it would get more than 500 lumens. So its not likely to be suitable for daylight operation.

If however you do have a room with dark curtains and a "close to" white wall. It could easily give you 3ft by 4ft picture no problem. Since the unit probably has very little in upscaling technology, I would not recommend going in through svideo or composite. So an XRGB2 or Dreamcast would be most suitable for it.

Its not been released yet, so details about its performance are not being made available at this time.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I´m used to sitting 2 feet away from the screen, not sure how that is possible with a projector. Is 700$ really still cheap for these things? I thought they would have dropped below $1000 some time ago already. For $700, you can get a nice arcade cab PLUS a big television. I sometimes play on a projector at a friend´s house, and it´s really not that great for lo-res 2d games. He realized that himself some time ago and got a spare TV for this sake. Hires 3d games really shine on a projector, but that´s not solving any tate problems.