Another modded PS2 issue...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigbadboaz

Another modded PS2 issue...

Post by bigbadboaz »

Rather than hijack Dave's thread, here I am. I have a modded PS2 (fat version) which is beginning to show signs of the DRE problem. I can play most games on it, but the occasional random title won't load, and most multigame comps won't reload the main menu after I have entered a game. I was looking to replace it with a modded slimline system, but the recent praise for HDLoader here has made me think twice about that. The HD option is very appealing, but when I looked into it before I was disappointed by the fact the HDLoader disc must be read every time you wish to start a game. If my DRE problem continues to progress, everything on the HD could eventually be inaccessible.

I welcome all opinions. Should I keep this machine and load everything onto an HD, should I get a new system, or...?
nZero

Post by nZero »

Tried replacing the laser unit yet? It's been a while since I've had to work on a fat PS2, but I don't remember it being that tough to get it in and out. That way you've always got the HDLoader/HDAdvance option still open to you in the future, as well.
it290

Post by it290 »

Well, I believe that if you install a DMS4 Pro you can boot HDLoader directly off the chip's flash memory and thus not have to use the optical drive at all. However even triggering HDloader with the drive isn't nearly as much strain as the massive amounts of loading and streaming that go on during normal play.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm getting very interested in going the HD route. nZero, do you expect the PS2 laser units to be available and reasonable in terms of cost for much longer? Do you guys have any opinions on which HD program is best? Are there any glaring examples of incompatible games?
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

If it's only a DRE, you can repair it most times without too much trouble. PM if you're interested. It'll save you a little cash heh.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

for slimline you can get hdconnect so you can use a Hd with the slimline and i suggest you visit the DMS forums and look for Davebere, he is the best Ps2 mod installer on planet earth.

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/ ... &start=240

The red one is mine, this guy is the best, very honest and nice. His prices are very reasonable. If you are serious about modding or have questions look no further. I am very skilled myself with an iron, but because the mod is so complex i dont recomend it. This is not like an Xbox or Ps1 which are easy. oh yeah and he does repair work, good luck
KyleRXZero

Post by KyleRXZero »

^lawnspic knows what he is talking about. I just recently had my PSTwo modded by Davbere and am very satisfied with the results. The guy is a master of his craft.