Apple Vision Pro VR Headset -- Out in 2024 for the USA...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Apple Vision Pro VR Headset -- Out in 2024 for the USA...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've heard through the grapevine that Apple had a VR headset that they were working on. Didn't realize that they had been working on it for over seven years in development since 2017 (makes the Sony PSVR 2 for the PS5 console look like a bargain/chump change, indeed, with it's MSRP of $549.99 usd -- but that's a console-based dedicated VR headset to begin with). The initial MSRP of a whopping $3,499 usd and at least two hours of run time with the external lipo battery pack or runs indefinitely if plugged into an A/C outlet (a multi-switching 100v-240v A/C adapter powers it up). The internal display is running the newest Micro OLED technology that is quite expensive to manufacture with a pixel density that's higher than a 4K UHD TV per eye ratio, hence the high MSRP being offered (but that is understandable with Apple using the newest display technology made available as of right now -- still impressive nevertheless). Should be interesting to see how it fares in the VR headset market starting next year with Meta and Sony already in the VR headset market. https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/ ... 466493640_

This is the first time that VR headsets will be using the Micro OLED display technology -- could it be the killer hardware to promote VR to the masses? Seems to me that it would be a hybrid VR/AR type of deal with 23 million pixel density -- when VR headsets start delving into the upcoming Micro LED display technology down the road, that could be the one to keep an eye on.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Guspaz

Re: Apple Vision Pro VR Headset -- Out in 2024 for the USA..

Post by Guspaz »

It's a marvel of modern technology, possibly the most sophisticated consumer electronics device ever made (it has a glasses-free 3D lenticular OLED panel on the *outside* just so that other people can see an inset projection of your eyes), and it will probably be the best AR/VR headset ever made by a country mile, and nobody is going to buy it because it costs literally ten times as much as competing devices. Oh, a few Apple diehards and rich people will buy it, but when you can buy a $299 Quest 2 or a $3499 Vision Pro, very few people will buy it.

Meta already tried to sell a product with a similar focus, the Quest Pro. It too featured a much thinner profile with pancake lenses, it too featured real-time eye tracking for foveated rendering, it too featured colour passthrough for AR applications, it too is a standalone device, and it cost $1500. It was a huge flop. Apple's device certainly does a lot of that better, but I just don't think the market is there.

That said, if Apple's device was $1000, I'd buy it. Apple's way ahead of everybody else when it comes to low-power mobile chips (the Apple M2 makes the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 used by most other headsets look multiple generations behind by comparison), the clarity and resolution are a huge improvement, and it really seems like it'll be a super polished solution.

And as much as the cost is crazy, it's worth noting that the Quest 2's pricing is kind of an outlier. If you're getting started with a PSVR2 from scratch, it's $950 for the PS5 and headset (I don't have a PS5). If you want to go non-standalone, you're looking at $999 for the headset/controllers/lighthouses and if you don't have a gaming PC, maybe $1200 for something that is decent at VR, so $2200. More if you don't already have a monitor. That's a lot closer to Apple's pricing, and though you could also use that PC for other things, if we're looking at a "minimum out of pocket cost for VR" metric, that's not relevant.

Still, the price is just way too high for a standalone VR headset. Maybe the price will come down in future generations.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Dont underestimate the Apple sheeple, who will buy it while driving a $2500 scooter as their main vehicle.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I’ll probably buy one or two if it’s as impressive as it seems though I’m not thrilled about the weight of the thing.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

When I saw the keynote I was shaking my head, not understanding what they were thinking over at Apple when they made this thing. But after a few days of reflection I think I am coming around to the idea of this device. It is not everyday that Apple introduces an entirely new piece of hardware category, and although I think this is pretty nice piece of kit, I am pretty sure any potential success it might have will mostly be due to the second or third generation revision of the device, where price falls, and tech becomes more mature.

However, I think I want to buy one as soon as they are up for sale here in Denmark. Costs a lot, sure, but I am curious to experience the Apple magic and wonder again, like the first time I got to hold the iPhone all those years ago. I do wonder how long it will be until we get it here in DK though. Perhaps the first generation won't even be sold here, like they did with the iPhone. Of course, that didn't stop me from importing one, which I might be tempted to do again if that should be the case.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I'll admit it does look neat, but that price. Its definitely not for everyone.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Josh128 wrote:Its definitely not for everyone.
Was it meant to be?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Since (some) people buy their waaaaaay overpriced headphones, they'll buy this.

I'm excited for it. While it's not for me, they are pushing what a device like this does. The VR market needs this, more progress so we can get the prices down while the tech gets better.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Bloomberg News mentioned that Apple does have plans to release a cheaper and more affordable Vision Pro headset for the 2025 timeline. They also said that Apple has spent over $14 billion alone on just R&D with their Vision Pro VR/AR project. Apple is committed to it for the long haul indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

From the looks of it those 14 Billy boys Apple coughed up were much better spent that the billions Meta has been pouring into the black, unappealing hole that is Metaverse, yikes!

Not sure if the renewed interest in this space will aid or doom Meta in the long run. I suppose if Apple pulls it off then they have single handily saved an entire perpetually failing segment with lots of wasted potential by actually overcoming the dreaded mass adoption hurdle. VR has come and gone on the tides of hype cycles for many, many decades, just like stereoscopic 3D, never quite managing to have any mainstay once the hype dies down. As of 2023 VR was essentially dead again, except for in niche circles. Let's see where this goes. I still have my doubts about the masses wanting something sitting on their face, but I suppose if anyone could make the prospect attractive, it would be Apple.
Last edited by kamiboy on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

It does look impressive, but at the same time, it's marketing material by one of the biggest marketing experts today.
Sure it looks cool, but it's not going to have an infinite field of view for starters. It'll feel like looking through ski goggles or wearing a motorbike helmet, just like every other headset that isn't a Pimax (as an example).
Then it's marketed as if you'd be able to wear it all day. Working on your huge screens, taking video calls, even watching movies etc.
But a) it's too heavy for that and b) battery life is 2 hours? How is that gonna work? It already has an umbilical cord battery. Do you hook that battery up to USB-C if you want to watch Interstellar?

I bet it's an impressive device and I'm eager to test it out, but I still don't see the killer app that will make VR feasible. Apple banks on their eco system being it, but I doubt it.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

My hype for this thing dies off by the day. Pretty sure I'll just save the cash for the next apple pro display, as the current one has been holding strong up to now, in spite of the stupid initial marketing where they tried to compare it to a BVM it's a great daily driver monitor and I would expect the same of an improved model.

In terms of productivity I don't think I'll necessary get any better with hand waving controls vs. how fast my fingers are used to working with a keyboard and pad.