New design OGX360 adapter with integrated Xbox 360 RF unit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Marmotta

New design OGX360 adapter with integrated Xbox 360 RF unit

Post by Marmotta »

I've been working on (and procrastinating over) this project for a while, but it's almost ready to be released within the next few weeks, just need to tidy up a couple of things on the PCB and decide how many to order. It's an OGX360 adapter with support for four players on one board which also uses the RF front panel from an Xbox 360.

Advantages are that it has 4 player support straight away and doesn't required the additional purchase of an Xbox Wireless Receiver. On the flipside, it doesn't have USB input for 8bitdo adapters or wired 360 controllers, but I decided not to include it, as it would restrict it to one player only while in use and would nullify the purpose of the RF unit; I might make my own flavour of a one-player version at some point in the not too distant future.

Posting it here to gauge interest in something like this, as I've so far pretty much been working on it in a vacuum and am now at the point where I need to decide how many it would be sensible to have assembled - was thinking of making 50 as a first run (mainly as this would get the price low enough to be viable), but really have no concrete idea. It might be too niche for that or it may even be hard convincing people who want an OGX360 that this is the option to go for.

I'm aiming for a final price of £60, something that I think should be achievable. For any interested US buyers, that'd be $75 plus around $12-15 shipping. Looking at eBay listings, that seems to be roughly in line with the cost of a conventional 2 player OGX360 board without a receiver.

emphatic

Re: New design OGX360 adapter with integrated Xbox 360 RF un

Post by emphatic »

I don't own an original Xbox, but this is very cool. Kudos.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Can you use a wired controller too and does it/can it flag to the Xbox that a steering wheel is plugged in? Reason I ask is that I'd like to use the Brook Raslution adapter (Spoofs a 360 steering wheel) with this so I can get my Logitech Steering wheels working on the OG Xbox

EDIT: Reading fail, it's not for wired controllers. Would very much be interested in a 1 Player version for wired controllers and steering wheel support!
Last edited by Gunstar on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I've read it twice and I don't understand which console this is for or what it does...
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

ldeveraux wrote:I've read it twice and I don't understand which console this is for or what it does...
I believe it's a device that let's you use up to four 360 wireless controllers on the original Xbox. There's an old Arduino based project that let's you use the official 360 receiver but this saves the hassle of having four of those plugged in.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Gunstar wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I've read it twice and I don't understand which console this is for or what it does...
I believe it's a device that let's you use up to four 360 wireless controllers on the original Xbox. There's an old Arduino based project that let's you use the official 360 receiver but this saves the hassle of having four of those plugged in.
Why does it have 4x microUSB ports then?
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

Gunstar wrote:Can you use a wired controller too and does it/can it flag to the Xbox that a steering wheel is plugged in? Reason I ask is that I'd like to use the Brook Raslution adapter (Spoofs a 360 steering wheel) with this so I can get my Logitech Steering wheels working on the OG Xbox

EDIT: Reading fail, it's not for wired controllers. Would very much be interested in a 1 Player version for wired controllers and steering wheel support!
Yeah, I'll probably make a 1 player version with wired support at some point (since the existing Teensy versions intended for one player aren't particularly cheap and have a very DIY feel to them), but it would be a different project entirely.
ldeveraux wrote:Why does it have 4x microUSB ports then?
It's a different take on this existing project: https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360. It eliminates the need to buy four separate Arduino boards and a 360 wireless receiver. The 4 Micro USB ports are to connect to the Xbox console controller ports with adapters as shown in the first pic.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

ldeveraux wrote:
Gunstar wrote:
Why does it have 4x microUSB ports then?
Oh the male controller ports? yeah still need four of those. I was talking about the hassle of using four 360 receivers when using the single channel version of the OGX360, I actually hadn't seen the OGX360 before which only needs one receiver. So yeah, this then saves you having a single receiver (but still requiring an 'adapter/box' + 4 male controller connectors)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Marmotta wrote:
Yeah, I'll probably make a 1 player version with wired support at some point (since the existing Teensy versions intended for one player aren't particularly cheap and have a very DIY feel to them), but it would be a different project entirely.
That would be great, I'm not technically inclined but would it be possible to get steering wheel support onboard for some of the common steering wheels out there? there's a great selection of racing games on the og xbox but no adapter with wheel support afaik
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Marmotta wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Why does it have 4x microUSB ports then?
It's a different take on this existing project: https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360. It eliminates the need to buy four separate Arduino boards and a 360 wireless receiver. The 4 Micro USB ports are to connect to the Xbox console controller ports with adapters as shown in the first pic.
Oh OK, thanks for that! I'd be interested for sure if it came with the microUSB to XBOX adapters!
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Marmotta wrote:Advantages are that it has 4 player support straight away and doesn't required the additional purchase of an Xbox Wireless Receiver. On the flipside, it doesn't have USB input for 8bitdo adapters or wired 360 controllers, but I decided not to include it, as it would restrict it to one player only while in use and would nullify the purpose of the RF unit; I might make my own flavour of a one-player version at some point in the not too distant future.
I'm really interested but would like a version that still has a USB Type-A port for wired controller support, even though this would restrict it to one player whilst in use. Is there still a possibility for a 4 player version with a USB Type-A port as well?
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

Link83 wrote: I'm really interested but would like a version that still has a USB Type-A port for wired controller support, even though this would restrict it to one player whilst in use. Is there still a possibility for a 4 player version with a USB Type-A port as well?
I'm working on a 1 player version which would literally just be a USB-A port. Never say never, but I'm unlikely to add USB-A to the 4 player version, just because aside from a bit of a rework to accommodate the larger port, I'd also have to add a relay or physical switch to swap the data lines between the USB-A port and the 360 RF unit.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Any further consideration on this? Still interested assuming it will come with the USB adapters (or they are inexpensive)
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Marmotta wrote:
Link83 wrote: I'm really interested but would like a version that still has a USB Type-A port for wired controller support, even though this would restrict it to one player whilst in use. Is there still a possibility for a 4 player version with a USB Type-A port as well?
I'm working on a 1 player version which would literally just be a USB-A port. Never say never, but I'm unlikely to add USB-A to the 4 player version, just because aside from a bit of a rework to accommodate the larger port, I'd also have to add a relay or physical switch to swap the data lines between the USB-A port and the 360 RF unit.
Would the 1 player version still include the 360 RF unit as well as USB-A port? If so i'd definitely be interested.

Personally i'd love to see a 2 player version which included the 360 RF unit and USB-A port (I can never find 3 or 4 people interested in playing the OG Xbox, so 2 player would be enough for the odd occasion that I play multiplayer)
MilkMan2004

Re: New design OGX360 adapter with integrated Xbox 360 RF unit

Post by MilkMan2004 »

Wondering if there has been any more progress on this ?
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

MilkMan2004 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 pm Wondering if there has been any more progress on this ?
It's now available on my website at bitsandpixels.shop
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Great to see its available :)
I really like the compact design of this project, so would love to know more about the planned 1 player USB Type-A version (and if it could potentially also include the 360 RF Unit)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I keep reading the title of this thread and for a moment think somebody made a AV RF adapter for Xbox 360 and I'm like "why?"
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

BazookaBen wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:56 am I keep reading the title of this thread and for a moment think somebody made a AV RF adapter for Xbox 360 and I'm like "why?"
To achieve maximum hipster aesthetic and play 360 on my old black and white TV.