Recommend a small flat panel that supports retro resolutions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oldgamer

Recommend a small flat panel that supports retro resolutions

Post by oldgamer »

Hi again.

Which would be a good small flat panel that supports retro gaming resolutions (240p, 480i, 480p, the like) for the sake of serving as a test monitor?

Would love to find something small and cheap that allows me to test retro resolutions and be easy to move around.

Ideally something I could find on aliexpress. (However learning of any would be good, regardless of origin)>

EDIT:I just want to add this.

I was imagining something like a universal test monitor, something that supports all of VGA, hdmi, component video, CVBS, s-video. So my ideal test monitor would support all of these in every possible variant like having extras such as 15/24KHz, RGBS, RGsB over the vga connector, support all variants of cvbs (NTSC, every PAL, PAL60,etc), and so on. The more flexible the better.

Also, it would support regular PC resolutions, and be small in size as to be portable, something like 10-12 inches.
Last edited by oldgamer on Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jd213

Re: Recommend a small flat panel that supports retro resolut

Post by jd213 »

Not sure if there's anything easily available that accepts analog inputs out of the box.

Maybe one of these paired with a Retrotink:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801503431249.html
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

jd213 wrote:Not sure if there's anything easily available that accepts analog inputs out of the box.

This one looks neat, and going by some of the reviews you may not even need a Tink if you get one with the VGA analogue input, though you may still need a way to convert RGBS to RGBHV like a cheap Extron interface or sync separator.

There are 13'' 4K OLED portable displays that also accept retro resolutions (though usually only have digital inputs so you'd need an ADC) that look quite nice, though they are not cheap.

Too bad that all options have blurry motion due to no strobing/BFI of any kind, but for a test monitor that shouldn't matter much.
emmeka

Post by emmeka »

HD Retrovision maintains a list of TV's reported to support 240p on component inputs using their component transcoding cables, but they do caution that support can differ between consoles, with say a SNES working on a TV but not the Genesis. Apparently their recommended model is the Samsung UN32N5300, which you can still buy brand new, but if that's too big here's the full list, which seems to have not been updated for a while now: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 171211.pdf
jd213

Post by jd213 »

fernan1234 wrote:
jd213 wrote:Not sure if there's anything easily available that accepts analog inputs out of the box.

This one looks neat, and going by some of the reviews you may not even need a Tink if you get one with the VGA analogue input, though you may still need a way to convert RGBS to RGBHV like a cheap Extron interface or sync separator.
Decided to pick one of these up for myself, and it actually supports 240p RGBS over VGA! Only tested a Genesis with a Retro-Access DSUB cable so far, and there's some thin vertical jailbar noise, but otherwise it's not bad. Doesn't seem to be much lag either, at least going by the manual lag test/reflex text on the 240p Test Suite. Screen goes black for a second during resolution changes

480i seems to be a no-go, though.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

You can just grab a GBS-C and use it with any monitor.

Or you can browse Facebook Marketplace and pick up any old 20" LCD you see that has analog inputs

If you're a real pro, you'd just grab a 13" CRT and s-video+RGB mod it
alamone

Post by alamone »

How about answering the OP's actual question? Maybe he doesn't want the clutter of an upscaler setup, or the space required by a CRT.

I can recommend:

Dell U2211H - Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV
Dell P2314Ht - Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV

If you need one, I have a spare P2314Ht, just PM me if interested.

If you want something smaller, I can recommend this:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804681199452.html

Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV. You will need to pair with a suitable iPad 9.7" Retina LCD (plenty on ebay or Ali) and a metal enclosure like this:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803123677480.html
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

No need to order a screen from Ali Express though. One look at Facebook marketplace, there are tons of small LCDs with all the analog inputs, for pocket change

I guess the only question would be 24kHz support
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

alamone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:44 am How about answering the OP's actual question? Maybe he doesn't want the clutter of an upscaler setup, or the space required by a CRT.

I can recommend:

Dell U2211H - Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV
Dell P2314Ht - Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV

If you need one, I have a spare P2314Ht, just PM me if interested.

If you want something smaller, I can recommend this:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804681199452.html

Does 15/24/31 over VGA, accepts RGBS and RGBHV. You will need to pair with a suitable iPad 9.7" Retina LCD (plenty on ebay or Ali) and a metal enclosure like this:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803123677480.html
Thank you for posting this.

Do you know of any of these controller board that supports all of vga, hdmi, cvbs, component video and s-video?
strayan

Re: Recommend a small flat panel that supports retro resolutions

Post by strayan »

I picked up a used 51cm LCD with a native resolution of 640x480. Works well with a line doubler:

https://imgur.com/a/xph5io1
alamone

Post by alamone »

Not sure if there's a controller board that has *all* of those inputs... I've seen some TVs that have all of those inputs, but those are generally 32" or bigger.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

alamone wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:05 am Not sure if there's a controller board that has *all* of those inputs... I've seen some TVs that have all of those inputs, but those are generally 32" or bigger.
Do you know of any of these controller boards that have at least vga, hdmi, composite video and component?

I mean, I'd love to also have s-video as well, but just having these would make me happy.

I'm looking at these controller boards available on aliexpress but until now couldn't find a single one that supports component video.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Unfortunately I think it's going to be hard to find a board with everything you want, I mean the physical space required for the ports already makes it non-feasible IMO.
I'd say your best bet is to get a VGA/HDMI board which are very common, then get an transcoder to handle composite/s-video/component to VGA.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

jd213 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:56 pm
fernan1234 wrote:

Decided to pick one of these up for myself, and it actually supports 240p RGBS over VGA! Only tested a Genesis with a Retro-Access DSUB cable so far, and there's some thin vertical jailbar noise, but otherwise it's not bad. Doesn't seem to be much lag either, at least going by the manual lag test/reflex text on the 240p Test Suite. Screen goes black for a second during resolution changes

480i seems to be a no-go, though.
Looks like it also supports RGsB 480p from a PS2, although since it doesn't support 480i, you have to memorize the button presses on each game to get it into progressive mode.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

jd213 wrote: Looks like it also supports RGsB 480p from a PS2, although since it doesn't support 480i, you have to memorize the button presses on each game to get it into progressive mode.
Thank you for reporting back on the 2048X1536 portable monitor.

Is the panel IPS? Does the colors look good? What is the brightness like? ( I mean the brightness you get when you raise Contrast in old CRT tvs, not the brightness you get when you raise the brightness setting)

Does the screen itself look new to you? (I mean new as opposed to somewhat used, just in the case the manufacturer has put a used screen in there and sold it as new).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

You look into the old Sony LMD 9" monitors? Their lower tier ones are 640x480 (line doubled 240p in essence), and have all the retro connections on them. I stopped looking on eBay for them but where like $150ish if my memory serves. I would still suggest a CRT PVM-9045 or similar though... (Do NOT get a BVM-D9 if you want perfect compatability, those are the devil although they look way more fancy).
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

Dochartaigh wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:28 am You look into the old Sony LMD 9" monitors? Their lower tier ones are 640x480 (line doubled 240p in essence), and have all the retro connections on them. I stopped looking on eBay for them but where like $150ish if my memory serves. I would still suggest a CRT PVM-9045 or similar though... (Do NOT get a BVM-D9 if you want perfect compatability, those are the devil although they look way more fancy).
Those look like they would make good test monitors, but I can't find them easily in my market. Also, they don't have vga and hdmi(or am I wrong about this?), though having s-video and component is good.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

oldgamer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:04 am
jd213 wrote: Looks like it also supports RGsB 480p from a PS2, although since it doesn't support 480i, you have to memorize the button presses on each game to get it into progressive mode.
Thank you for reporting back on the 2048X1536 portable monitor.

Is the panel IPS? Does the colors look good? What is the brightness like? ( I mean the brightness you get when you raise Contrast in old CRT tvs, not the brightness you get when you raise the brightness setting)

Does the screen itself look new to you? (I mean new as opposed to somewhat used, just in the case the manufacturer has put a used screen in there and sold it as new).
I assume it's either a NOS or good quality used iPad 3 screen, didn't notice any flaws. Haven't used it much but the brightness and contrast look pretty good.

There's a long thread on the misterfpga.org forums on this screen that you might want to check out, it's 99% focused on digital input though: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=3373
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've got a Sony 9" CPD-9000 rgb monitor with it's 640 x 240 resolution -- it works just fine with the low-res 320 x 240 15.7kHz jamma pcbs but gets a bit wavy if said arcade pcb outputs too high on the R, G, & B levels (i.e. -- the SH-3 powered Cave pcbs are notorious in that regard indeed if used with this particular rgb monitor setup).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~