Are Shinybow VGA matrix switchers good for retrogaming?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oldgamer

Are Shinybow VGA matrix switchers good for retrogaming?

Post by oldgamer »

Are Shinybow VGA matrix switchers good for retrogaming with CRTs?

I mean the ones with audio.

Are they good for retrogaming with CRTs? Do they support low-res signals such as that from a SNES or genesis?

Do they have any problems that hamper retrogaming like unexpected losses in color quality, brightness, processing delay, etc?

Do they support component video and perhaps sync on green on the RGB pins?

What else should I know about them?
DejahThoris

Re: Are Shinybow VGA matrix switchers good for retrogaming?

Post by DejahThoris »

oldgamer wrote:Are Shinybow VGA matrix switchers good for retrogaming with CRTs?

I mean the ones with audio.

Are they good for retrogaming with CRTs? Do they support low-res signals such as that from a SNES or genesis?

Do they have any problems that hamper retrogaming like unexpected losses in color quality, brightness, processing delay, etc?

Do they support component video and perhaps sync on green on the RGB pins?

What else should I know about them?
They're 100% pass-through. They cannot detect or alter signals, they'll happily support interlaced signals as well as super low res signals like DOS games at 200p.

No problems at all in my experience. I've had both their component and scart matrixes in the past, and more recently got a pair of the VGA ones (when they started clearancing, which I assume is why you're asking now). No complaints to speak of.

The component answer is right on any of the product pages. In short: yes, you will just use the R/G/B lines in your VGA to BNC breakout cable.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

DejahThoris wrote: They're 100% pass-through. They cannot detect or alter signals, they'll happily support interlaced signals as well as super low res signals like DOS games at 200p.

No problems at all in my experience. I've had both their component and scart matrixes in the past, and more recently got a pair of the VGA ones (when they started clearancing, which I assume is why you're asking now). No complaints to speak of.

The component answer is right on any of the product pages. In short: yes, you will just use the R/G/B lines in your VGA to BNC breakout cable.
Great to know! Thank you for responding.

Which particular model do you have?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

oldgamer wrote:
DejahThoris wrote: They're 100% pass-through. They cannot detect or alter signals, they'll happily support interlaced signals as well as super low res signals like DOS games at 200p.

Great to know! Thank you for responding.

Which particular model do you have?
SB-4184LCM