What do you think of Chinese brands vga matrix switchers?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oldgamer

What do you think of Chinese brands vga matrix switchers?

Post by oldgamer »

I mean brands like CKL, MT-VIKI, DTech, CE-Link.

Have you ever used one of them? Do they have problems that don't exist in the Extron units?

Will they work well for the purposes of retrogaming on CRTs?

Do they support component video and perhaps sync on green on the RGB pins?
NoAffinity

Re: What do you think of Chinese brands vga matrix switchers

Post by NoAffinity »

Any reason you would want to go this route over an extron? Extron are still pretty cheap. I see a 8x4 for $40 shipped on ebay. I've got 2 4x4's and they work great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

NoAffinity wrote:Any reason you would want to go this route over an extron? Extron are still pretty cheap. I see a 8x4 for $40 shipped on ebay. I've got 2 4x4's and they work great.

Or the Shinybow you'd asked about in your other thread that are brand new for 10 bucks more.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

NoAffinity wrote:Any reason you would want to go this route over an extron? Extron are still pretty cheap. I see a 8x4 for $40 shipped on ebay. I've got 2 4x4's and they work great.

It's mostly to find an alternative to extrons (which we know are good, but are no longer manufactured)

DejahThoris wrote:
Or the Shinybow you'd asked about in your other thread that are brand new for 10 bucks more.
Yeah, of course. But the Chinese ones can still be found new, in case we happen to need them. Only problem is they are an unknown, hence the question, in case someone here has already tested them.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

oldgamer wrote:

It's mostly to find an alternative to extrons (which we know are good, but are no longer manufactured)

DejahThoris wrote:
Yeah, of course. But the Chinese ones can still be found new, in case we happen to need them. Only problem is they are an unknown, hence the question, in case someone here has already tested them.
You can still buy the shinybow ones new, direct from shinybow. They're on clearance CHEAP too. I don't know why you'd muck about with something of questionable quality when you can still get these brand new from the manufacturer for almost nothing.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

DejahThoris wrote: You can still buy the shinybow ones new, direct from shinybow. They're on clearance CHEAP too. I don't know why you'd muck about with something of questionable quality when you can still get these brand new from the manufacturer for almost nothing.
Yeah, I did get some Shinybow. I ask mostly because it's nice to have options if we need them. Maybe the Chinese ones aren't bad, just unknown here.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

oldgamer wrote:
DejahThoris wrote: You can still buy the shinybow ones new, direct from shinybow. They're on clearance CHEAP too. I don't know why you'd muck about with something of questionable quality when you can still get these brand new from the manufacturer for almost nothing.
Yeah, I did get some Shinybow. I ask mostly because it's nice to have options if we need them. Maybe the Chinese ones aren't bad, just unknown here.
The Chinese options might not suck, probably the best case, but there's no point in finding out when you can get known good quality switchers instead.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

Lord of Pirates wrote: The Chinese options might not suck, probably the best case, but there's no point in finding out when you can get known good quality switchers instead.
but the switchers that are known around here can no longer be obtained new without breaking the bank (the shinybow units in clearance are an exception), while the Chinese ones can.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Also, Extron Interfaces and Switchers might be readily available in the US, but are climbing up in price in Europe.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

oldgamer wrote:
Lord of Pirates wrote: The Chinese options might not suck, probably the best case, but there's no point in finding out when you can get known good quality switchers instead.
but the switchers that are known around here can no longer be obtained new without breaking the bank (the shinybow units in clearance are an exception), while the Chinese ones can.
There's no guarantee that any of these Chinese brands or their products will stick around. New means little when support is limited to a replacement unit or two and nothing else. I'll leave it to other users to try things and report back.