Approximate value of a Raiden II Cab?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
deadninja

Approximate value of a Raiden II Cab?

Post by deadninja »

Living in a small city with crappy arcades is no fun. I haven't seen a good shooter in the arcades around here for years. Other afternoon my girlfriend drags me into Godfather's Pizza and I am astonised to see Raiden II there.
Forty-five minutes later my girl has to pry me off of it. I really want to take this home.

Now about this particular cabinet. It's not the original. The player 1 buttons and joystick are borked, but player 2 works fine. The monitor has something going on with it... a kind of dark wavy stuff going on around the bottom 4 inches. So i'm thinking it would be a good project/ first cab if i could get it real cheap. I saw one for around $400 US on ebay, in good working shape.

Any input from you guys as to how to obtain it...how much it might be worth...cost of restoration?
kemical

Post by kemical »

maybe 200$ at the most, the game pcboard itself I'd expect to sell for $100 +/- $20
it would probably depend on if the game is getting the pizza place any respectable amount of money still, but since the controls are a bit messed up and it has other problems they might not have much interest in it and would gladly take some money for it. Also it depends if they are renting it from a place or not, not sure how that works.
but either way, just be prepared for some unreasonable price close to $1,000...
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Restoring it can be pricey. Depending on the monitor, a new 19" go about $200.00; a used can be about $100.00. If you sand and paint it, that's going to cost a bit depending on how big the thing is and what kind of paint you use. New controls will cost you about $100.00 give or take depending on which kind you want to use. Power supplies are up tp about $30.00. A jamma harness will cost about $20.00+ dollars. That link I just made in the previous sentence has a bunch of prices for different things. You can look other places of course and you probably should if you are looking for certain parts. The biggest problem with restoring is space and time. I restored an old Taito cab from the 80's and it took up my garage for 3 weeks; and that was me working on it every other day. Might just be cheaper to find an old japanese sit down rather than restore a wood cab. Oh yeah, art can cost... well, just look here.
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

When I bought my cabinet (a photo can be found here) a few months ago, I paid $250 for it from an arcade collector at work, with the Strikers 1945 board included. It got a few issues with appearance which I eventually plan to address, but everything works correctly, and it has a 25" monitor (with some minor burn-in, but not significant.) I think after that I ended up paying about $120 for a Raiden DX PCB from someone here, and I have about 10 PCBs (all shmups, there's really not a whole lot else you can do with a dedicated vertical cabinet). I'd be wary of buying from a distributor, as they tend to jack up the prices a bit for collectors. If you have one in your area, you might try something like Craigslist for finding people who are selling arcade stuff. Around here it seems that there's a decent amount of arcade stuff for sale.

Also if the controls are flaky, you may not necessarily need to replace them. You might be able to just replace microswitches to fix them.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
PC Engine Fan X!

Or you could go with a Supergun setup to play Raiden II PCB

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Here's an alternative method of playing the Fabtek distributed USA Bios region version of Seibu Kaihatsu's Raiden II Jamma PCB at home:

Acquire a portable Supergun setup (prefferably one with S-Video output) with a Jamma harness extension, plug in the Raiden II PCB and volia, you're all set to play it.

Please keep in mind, that some Raiden II Jamma PCBs sold on eBay aren't 100% working correctly...so it would be in your best interest to get one working 100% upon "boot up" (i.e. -- no bad sprite glitches or bad BGM tune effects). The back-up battery would need to be replaced in order for the Raiden II PCB to save high scores upon "powering down" for the night...although there are some Raiden II PCBs that either do have a built-in battery or not one at all for high score posterity. Try to get one with a back-up battery would be in your best interest (if you want to save your Raiden II PCB high scores in the long run). ^_~

Of course, I do have two different Superguns, one custom-made by Matt on the old Shmups.com forum and the 2nd one is a mini MAK Supergun setup. As for displaying Jamma PCBs on a SVGA monitor, I use a Japanese produced XRGB-2 upscan convertor with 21-pin Japanese RGB pinout piped out from either of my two Superguns into the upscan convertor itself.

The XRGB-2 is the one to get if you want to play the Seibu Kaihatsu produced PCBs like Raiden II & the later produced Raiden Fighters series of arcade shmup carts for the SP1 motherboard. The 3rd generation XRGB-2+ version doesn't have built-in support for the Seibu Kaihatsu PCBs and thus, not worth picking up if you want to play your arcade Jamma PCBs on a SVGA PC monitor type of setup.

Now if I want the best analog RGB monitor solution to playing my arcade Jamma PCBs, then plugging a Supergun into an analog RGB monitor is best way to view arcade games in their natural visual state: I use either my trusty 14" Commodore Amiga 1080 RGB monitor or my smaller 9" Sony Trinitron RGB monitor as methods of playing my arcade PCBs.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~