Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I noticed on the http://www.krikzz.com site, the highly anticipated Turbo Everdrive Pro went on sale March 4th, 2023 with a pricetag of $220.00 usd. I missed out on it and wonder when it'll be restocked again. Did you manage to order one?

I see that Arcade Card support is finally implemented with this newest TEP setup.

It's common knowledge that Stoneage Gamer gets their alloted share of TEs to sell in the USA (and should get a small batch of TEPs to sell as well in the future).

It'll be awesome to play any PCE/TG-16 CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 or Arcade CD-Rom2 title on a unmodded PCE, Core Grafx I/II, Shuttle Grafx, Super Grafx & lastly, the TurboGrafx-16 consoles (including the PCE GT & Turbo Express handhelds as well + the NEC LT & the Pioneer Laseractive with optional NEC PCE expansion deck PAC-N1).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri May 05, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dochartaigh

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- did you get one?

Post by Dochartaigh »

What's up with the no stereo sound though? Wasn't the ENTIRE point of the PCE CD that you got CD soundtracks and audio (which I assume was in stereo)? Made me not even look into getting one because of that (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know everything about PCE at all).
PC Engine Fan X!

The deal with this newfangled Turbo Everdrive Pro flashcart setup is to give the PCE/TG-16 gamer the added ability to play CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 games without the need for an actual CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 or Turbografx CD Interface Unit setup albeit in mono sound output (considering that an extra pin would be needed to be added to gain true stereo capability on the Hu-Card cart slot itself but isn't "techincally possible" -- Krikzz has made a proper workaround solution by making an "expansion board" that fits on the backside "Ext Bus" port of a PCE/TG-16 to provide true stereo output capability + RGB output as well).

As it is, the TEP is equally at home if a PCE/TG-16 is connected to a Scart to Jamma board interface, then connected to a Supergun or candy cab (as standard jamma is already amplified mono sound output from the get-go).

Of course, with a proper CD-Rom2/Super CD Rom-2/TG-CD interface, true Redbook audio at 44.1kHz is outputted to the TV's speakers or via an optional 2.1 speaker setup. It's quite something to behold/listen to if everything is properly hooked up & powered up.

If you bought a TG-16 brand new, it came with a RF switch box at best. Now if you picked up an optional NEC made Turbo Booster or Turbo Booster Plus add-on, by attaching either A/V interface to the TG-16's "ext bus" port endowed the gamer with proper RCA composite video output + a pre amp setup with L & R phono output jacks for true stereo output from the Turbo Chip game themselves. Quite a modest and affordable upgrade compared to just using RF output with a TG-16 gaming console in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Krikzz has made a proper workaround solution by making an "expansion board" that fits on the backside "Ext Bus" port of a PCE/TG-16 to provide true stereo output capability + RGB output as well).
The problem is that it has not communicated for a long time on this famous card. I think that many of us are waiting for its availability to take this turbo everdrive pro.
But for that, would it still be necessary that it is really the intention to put it on the market?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I will say it took a bit of digging to find out an expansion board was needed for stereo. Are all HuCard games on any model system mono then, even on say a Duo or Duo-R? Hard to blame krikzz if that's the case, though more cross-promotion for the modified expansion board would be appreciated.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

ordered one in early march, but haven't got a shipping confirmation yet.

HuCards were stereo of course. Just the way the audio input on the HuCard slot is wired to audio mixer only allows mono from the TE Pro to the PCE's internal AV port.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

yoZe wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Krikzz has made a proper workaround solution by making an "expansion board" that fits on the backside "Ext Bus" port of a PCE/TG-16 to provide true stereo output capability + RGB output as well).
The problem is that it has not communicated for a long time on this famous card. I think that many of us are waiting for its availability to take this turbo everdrive pro.
But for that, would it still be necessary that it is really the intention to put it on the market?
Also what confused me. Like I just checked his site for a second time and doesn't seem to be there on his site. No mention of this magical "expansion board" in the Turbo Everdrive Pro product page description either. Even the manual is wishy-washy about it, only saying "expansion board with custom audio circuitry designed specifically for EverDrive" but NOTHING else about it (like where to get it...)... so not exactly forthcoming about how people can actually use this device to its full potential, as I doubt many people would be dropping this cash to play in composite mono only, so communicating how you can get proper RGB output and stereo sound is kinda important here... yet kinda asbolutely nothing about it...

So I'm glad there's an alternate to the SSDS3 (with its worst launch of any product I've ever experienced lol, and still SUPER lacking in features like saves, even in-game reset is STILL f'd up, no future updates, etc etc... it seems like they've abandoned it), but this Krikzz product also seems to have things like the expansion board totally missing, and incognito to boot... so AWESOME!!! that I can run CD games from my non-CD TG16/PCE... but still leaves a huge gaping hole for people who have no option to pair it with in order to get RGB output + stereo sound... so what real use is this product now? Absolutely none for me (as I rely on SSDS3 for RGB output as well, and couldn't switch to the Krikzz product w/out proper options for that + sound).
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Same boat. I would prefer the Krikkz solution, but I already took the plunge on the SSDS3 and its abusive owners to go with an SGX. While I did an RGB mod to my Duo years ago, I don’t know if I want to make the switch.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I am interested in this to some extent. I currently have TO's SHDS3 Pro, and I am a big fan of the composite palette.. I don't know how likely it is that other RGB mods will offer that feature anytime soon so I'll stick with it for now! I am curious whether the TED Pro will have the same compatibility issues as the TO products (like the Sherlock Holmes games, Popful Mail, etc.).
Dochartaigh wrote:No mention of this magical "expansion board" in the Turbo Everdrive Pro product page description either. Even the manual is wishy-washy about it, only saying "expansion board with custom audio circuitry designed specifically for EverDrive" but NOTHING else about it (like where to get it...)... so not exactly forthcoming about how people can actually use this device to its full potential, as I doubt many people would be dropping this cash to play in composite mono only, so communicating how you can get proper RGB output and stereo sound is kinda important here... yet kinda asbolutely nothing about it...
Krikkz did tweet some info about the expansion board recently: https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1624119609375719433

My understanding (I can't remember where I read this so it may be inaccurate!) is that the PC Engine has a HuCard detect pin or something to that effect, and that pin is being used by the TEDP to provide a second channel for audio. I guess the pin is routed out to the expansion port, so any mods can pick up the signal there and output stereo without any external wiring required. This is totally non-standard though so no existing mods will have this functionality, but people are already working on updating their designs to accommodate it (Tianfeng for example I think is updating their Sparkplug - and I think they said they will aim for it to be something users can modify existing spark plugs for as well).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Fudoh wrote:ordered one in early march, but haven't got a shipping confirmation yet.

HuCards were stereo of course. Just the way the audio input on the HuCard slot is wired to audio mixer only allows mono from the TE Pro to the PCE's internal AV port.
So it's more like the Famicom expansion audio pin from the cart? As in, HuCards are stereo because they don't actually use the audio input pin, but the EDP does for just mixing in the CD audio?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It really took me by surprise when I found out MiSTer supports Super Grafx and most (if not all) of the games that have issues with the SSDS3. It has the choice between the composite and raw RGB palette too. That said, I still like the SSDS3, but the compatibility issues were a bit disappointing. The in game reset that even the designers tell you not to use is annoying.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Use the MiSTer core with a PCE/Turbografx controller, either with an adapter or the USB one from a mini. You'll almost immediately forget you're not playing on an ideal problem-free real console.

(Not one of those "just use a Mister lol" guys, I don't say this about all systems just this one due to how problematic it is and how lacking each available solution is)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm waiting until he releases the device that allows stereo output. He said it's coming later.
So, I'll buy this later.

For those who are saying he hasn't mentioned it anywhere in a long time, he has on Twitter.
It may not have a shell, due to Russians bombing his factory (what a weird time we live in).

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1624119609375719433
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Kinda tempted to get an Everdrive Pro even though I already have a MiSTer and original PCE hardware. The save state functionality is certainly tempting, although I assume it doesn't work on CD games.

Isn't Krikzz's expansion board is functionally the same as the other current solutions like the Spark Plug and all the PC engine expansion boards for sale on Amazon and Aliexpress?

Would be nice if he was doing an HDMI board, the currently available solutions aren't great (the Japanese one only does 720p I think, and the SSDS3 has compatibility issues as previously mentioned)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

He said the Spark Plug and other devices like it won't work (stereo), unless modded.
PC Engine Fan X!

Checked out the TEP manual & it mentions that it can be used as an Arcade Card on the PCE Duo/Turbo Duo/Super CD-Rom2 Interface/TG-CD Interface/PCE CD-Rom2 Interface if running a real Arcade CD-Rom2 game disc (this highly touted functionality feature was promised on the older v2.5 Turbo Everdrive flashcart setup but sadly never done/implemented). Krikzz delivered on his promise this time around (you can finally retire your Arcade Card Duo/Pro for good & put it out to pasture).

The TEP doesn't have a region switch on-board -- auto-detects if said console is a PCE or TG-16 and accommodates it after a few seconds from a cold boot startup.

Save states are supported.

The CD-Rom2 core requires the end user to d/l the necessary cd bios file in order for it work properly & isn't included with said TEP (assuming that you want to play any PCE/TG cd game as an img/iso/bin+cue/cue+wav/multi bin image format file setup).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Save states are supported.
Including CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 games?

Now that might be a good reason to go back to OG hardware! Though would also need to have support for the original color palette via RGB as well, either via the Pro card itself or one of the expansion boards. Does anyone know if this will be supported?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

fernan1234 wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Save states are supported.
Including CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 games?

Now that might be a good reason to go back to OG hardware! Though would also need to have support for the original color palette via RGB as well, either via the Pro card itself or one of the expansion boards. Does anyone know if this will be supported?
Someone asked him about the original color palette, on Twitter, and he didn't respond. It would probably have to be put into the expansion board.
SparkTR

Post by SparkTR »

Will the CD stereo audio work with internal RGB mods such as this? Using a THS7374 Amp.
https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/produc ... 74-mod-kit

If so I may just break out the solderingiron and go this route.
PC Engine Fan X!

The second production batch of the highly in demand Turbo Everdrive Pro flashcart is available to order today 4-14-2023 Friday. I managed to order one (before it sells out later today for sure). https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartrid ... e-pro.html

Firmware is at 1.04 as of 4-11-2023. https://krikzz.com/pub/support/turbo-ev ... /firmware/

Still no word on when the Krikzz produced external stereo + rgb output board to accompany the TEP will available to order though.

So if hooking up a PC Engine or Turbografx-16 console through an Scart to Jamma conversion pcb with a TEP, it'll properly output in mono sound output through the 56-pin jamma harness indeed (considering that standard jamma is amplified mono sound output anyways). Booting up a TEP on a PCE GT or Turbo Express, audio will be routed to built-in single speaker -- this is a given.

With support of up to 256gb micro sdhc cards, plently of room for various CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 titles. Noticed with fw1.3, color palette initialization has implemented by user request.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, is the palette switch set up to work when the expansion board is connected, or will it work with the Pro, itself?
Kez

Post by Kez »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Noticed with fw1.3, color palette initialization has implemented by user request.
Is there info anywhere as to what that means specifically?
PC Engine Fan X!

In regards to the fw1.3 with color palette initialization, it works with the Turbo Everdrive Pro itself. As to what it does, I'm not sure as there isn't anymore provided information on that particular feature other than just that brief description listing it. It'd be nice if Krikzz could elaborate in greater detail as to what it does.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hmm... OK. I was thinking you could change the color palettes NOW. I suppose not. Maybe it will be doable when his expansion comes out.
PC Engine Fan X!

Zaxour's Turbonanza mod kit for PCE/CoreGrafx I & II/TurboGrafx-16 consoles does provide the correct color palette via S-Video output + proper stereo sound out support for use with the Turbo Everdrive Pro flashcart setup via a Sega Saturn styled din output interface. This newfangled Turbonanza upgrade works like a charm with a Retro Tink 5X Pro setup -- so no worries there.

Some folks have asked if the correct color palette is offered through a Sega Saturn Scart cable setup? Zaxour's response was that this particular mod is the 1st time that the "correct color palette" is enabled through S-Video output rather than through RGB (which has been inquired about in the past to finally be fully realized just very recently). So by picking up a Turbonanza + TE-P, stereo sound is fully realized/possible.

Insurrection Industries' Spark Plug external device for PCE/TG-16 is undergoing a slight pcb revision & they plan to release it as a 2nd production batch run in the nearby future (but it's exact release date is uncertain for now). Here's the site to order one: https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... -plug-rgb/ (Not my site.)

Youtube video about the installation/review of Turbonanza on a TurboGrafx-16 console listed here (it was uploaded to YT just yesterday, 4/27/2023): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWjIey_76o (By the way, it's not my YT video.)

Site to order a Turbonanza mod kit from Zaxour: https://ko-fi.com/s/4d0de1c0ac Shipping is from the USA + shipping worldwide is possible. (This ain't my site either.)

Zaxour's blog post about the development of the Turbonanza mod: https://ko-fi.com/post/The-TurboNanza-i ... -O5O8EZ5P5

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jd213

Post by jd213 »

An accurate S-Video mode certainly is tempting. Seems a bit expensive when compared to the external RGB adapter I got on Yahoo Auctions years ago for 2000 yen, though.

I still want an HDMI mod or adapter from someone other than Terraonion or that one Japanese adapter from years ago that only output 720p.
PC Engine Fan X!

The suggested asking price of $45.00 usd for a Turbonanza mod kit is a reasonable one.

Yes, it seems that very last frontier with the PC Engine platform would be a proper pro-grade external add-on with HDMI output pcb or an internal HDMI mod (in addition to the usual analog outputs of RCA Composite Video, S-Video, Component Video & RGB to round things off).

I know Columbus Circle currently sells it's own dedicated external pcb add-on with HDMI output for PCE (but it's just a bare bones naked pcb without a case covering whatsoever -- of course, one could 3D print one if it needed be + protection from electro static discharge as well). It, too, outputs in 720p.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Pretty sure the Columbus Circle one is just analog converted to digital (probably poorly, knowing their past products), unlike the other HDMI solutions mentioned.
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

With all these projects I have trouble understanding what I need to get the best rgb scart and stereo sound for my core grafx, if anyone can tell me? Thank you.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

If you're going to be using the Everdrive Pro and want stereo sound, then probably either the TurboNanza or wait for Krikzz's adapter.

You may also want to look into the jailbar fix:

https://etim.net.au/av-driver/pcebars/