Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- did you get one?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Krikzz has listed the EDFX board add-on on his site for $50.00 usd for use with the Turbo Everdrive Pro. Unfortunately, they're all sold out.

https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/edfx.html

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- did you get one?

Upon initially getting ahold of a Krikzz produced Turbo Everdrive Pro setup, it's recommended to use a high quality Sandisk manufactured Class 10 micro sdhc card (so that you don't have cd audio sync issues when running the various CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 game titles). Upto a 256 gb sized micro sdhc card is supported with the TE-P flash cart itself. You can get by with using a smaller paltry Class 10 rated 32gb sized micro sdhc card for the time being as that'll be sufficient for hosting some CD game titles uploaded to the micro card itself. Works like a charm, indeed.

1.) Format the Class 10 micro sdhc card to FAT32 format with a 3rd-party utility formatter program (I use the excellent SD Card Formatter utility program myself). (Using an older Class type micro sdhc card on hand will bring up the dreaded cd audio sync issues like with the well-known issue with the Super CD-Rom2 game title of Castlevania X: Rondo No Blood, etc.)

2.) Download the latest Turbo Everdrive Pro firmware from Krikzz's site (which is currently at fw v1.4). Latest firmware is listed here: https://krikzz.com/pub/support/turbo-ev ... /firmware/

3.) Insert the FAT32 formatted micro sdhc card into the micro card slot of the TE-P and boot up it up without any game roms or game CD iso files uploaded to it beforehand.

4.) Select the efu file with fw v1.4 and proceed to flash the TE-P's OS to the latest firmware version (it'll take a little bit of time to do so).

5.) Make sure that the BIOs folder has the appropriate BIOs files of at least the "JPN region Super CD-Rom2 v3.00 BIOs" as a minimum installed (in order to run the Arcade CD-Rom2 game titles such Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire and the like -- using an older CD BIOs file will bring up the dreaded screen that mentions you can't run/boot up said selected Arcade CD-Rom2 game title).

Note: Running the CD-Rom2 version of Altered Beast will require the first CD-Rom2 v1.00 BIOs file to boot up/play (anything higher than that won't work with it) -- so keep that particular issue in mind.

6.) Remove the micro sdhc card from the TE-P and install your favorite HU-Card/Turbo Chip game roms and all the desired CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 game titles you wish to play. Place all the game ISOs/roms in the appropriate game folders marked CD games and PCE/TG-16 roms.

7.) Re-insert the micro sdhc card back into the TE-P and boot it up on the console. Make sure that if a Tennoekoe Bank, Tennoekoe II Bank or Terra Onion's SSD3 add-on is hooked up to the backside EXP Bus port and remove it (otherwise, you won't be able to run said CD based game titles until you do so). Use an AV Booster add-on with a PCE/Core Grafx I/Core Grafx II/Super Grafx console setup or a Turbo Booster (or even the rarer "Turbo Booster Plus" variant if you have one on hand) add-on accessory with the Turbo Grafx-16 console for proper composite video output and you're good to go.

8.) Select your favorite game rom or CD title that you wish to run and select it with button I.

9.) You can further change the background scenery and/or overall font appearance to your preferred liking within the TE-P GUI screen setup if so desired (if a black colored background is not up to your liking or the default selected font choice isn't suited to your personal taste). Talk about customizing the TE-P's GUI screen, it's all possible nowadays folks (unlike with the older Turbo Everdrive flash cart setups of v2.5 and older with their barebones minimalist GUI screen setup and not end-user adjustable to begin with). Krikzz has made a very fine and slick alternative method of playing CD-based games with TE-P setup compared to Terra Onion's SSD3 and SSD3 Pro offerings these days.

10.) By picking the highly desired EDFX add-on, it'll allow true stereo sound output with a TE-P setup from the get-go: https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/edfx.html

11.) It's a resounding yes that you can use the cool optional Columbus Circle Portable LCD Monitor with a TE-P + a Core Grafx II console setup. How cool is that? You can even use a TE-P with the rare NEC PC Engine LT setup (circa 1991) as well.

12.) Yes, you can use a fully configured TE-P with a NEC GT or even the Turbo Express handhelds -- about damn time that you can finally play those cool PCE/TG-16 CD titles on-the-go! The wait is finally over and totally worth it in the end. The TE-P is a worthy upgrade over the original TE, indeed, however pricey it may be these days.

FYI: Here's Krikzz'z twitter post that goes into more detail about the color palette issue with the TE-P setup: https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1653093808131788802 So your best bet with the S-Video enabled "corrected" color palette with a PCE/TG-16 console is to pick up Zaxour's Turbonanza mod kit for now. Here's zaxour's shop: https://ko-fi.com/zaxour/shop

Another shop is selling the Turbonanza listed here + with step-by-step instructions on how to install a Turbonanza on a PCE or TG-16 console setup: https://jt-studios.com/product/turbonanza-kit/

Easy as pie. Enjoy.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.

The ED-FX boards are up to order for the 1st production run batch today, 5-09-2023. Ordered one right away as it's true "plug 'n' play" & not have to deal with a Turbonanza mod anyways. It would've been nice to get a combo deal of a TE-P + ED-FX together in one shot. Oh well. Better later than never, right?

Krikzz said that if you order a EDFX, it'll come with the plexiglas sandwich case covering -- so no worries in dealing with a barebones naked pcb setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Random question as I'm new to the scene.

Were Hucards mono-only or is that limitation of the TED Pro (before additional adapters/mods)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

HuCards were stereo of course, but the audio in the game code was produced on the PCE (in stereo and passed in stereo to the expansion port and to the AV out on later PCE models) - it wasn't stored as digitized audio on the HuCard itself.

I don't think that any HuCard ever used that internal audio passthrough, that the TEP is now using.

If you play a HuCard rom on your TEP, it will be playing in stereo of course.
PC Engine Fan X!

For Bazooka Ben,

If you really want to hear what a Hu-card can sound like in stereo, I suggest picking up a copy of Remute's Electronic Lifestyle Hu-card. It truly pushes the cart medium to the limit & beyond (as most musicians didn't have ample rom space within the already tiny space allocated for BGM and sound effects/digitized speech on a Hu-card itself back in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s -- they had to make-do with the limited space of memory given). Site http://www.stoneagegamer.com sells the slick Remute Electronic Lifestyle Hu-card -- it's worthy of one's PCE/TG-16 gaming stash alrighty.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does the in-game menu run into any compatibility problems like the original Terra Onion device does?

(Not sure if TO fixed this in their most recent device, either…)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Anybody here using a 100v JP AC adapter with their PC Engine in 120v North America?

Any reason to suspect the Everdrive Pro might have an issue in this situation?

I ask because a few days ago I saw a forum post (that I can't find now) where somebody thought their Everdrive (non-pro) had problems with a region-mismatched power situation

My Everdrive Pro is almost here, and I'm still using a 100v Famicom adapter.

Thanks for the answer on audio by the way Fudoh, that clears everything up. And PCE Fan, I might actually pick that HuCard up, seems like a cool project.
PC Engine Fan X!

I recall using a JPN region 100v A/C adapter with my PC Engine Duo-RX console & it'd get quite too warm to the touch if used on a 120v outlet. I eventually got a multi-switching A/C adapter that powers up the Duo-RX and runs a whole lot cooler to the touch nowadays. Same situation applies to the original PC Engine white console and the Core Grafx II console if using an original Japanese 100v A/C adapter on 120v outlet. Best to get a multi-switching A/C adapter that'll run cooler with the PC Engine/Core Grafx I & II/ShuttleGrafx/SuperGrafx consoles. Of course, the TurboGrafx-16 has the proper 120v A/C adapter from the get-go -- I've got one myself & it works like a charm.

The original Turbo Everdrive & Turbo EverDrive Pro flash carts setup work just fine if using a Japanese 100v A/C adapter on a PCE console with USA 120v outlet -- it's that it'll get warm to the touch with the extra 20v being pumped through that particular A/C adapter setup and given off as excess heat -- both TE & TE-P remain cool to the touch when booted up and running as usual so no worries in that department.

Your best bet is to pick up a multi-switching A/C adapter for use with the original PC Engine console. Here's one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314118230056?_ ... %3A2047675

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

Krikzz's EDFX board arrived safe & sound. Just need access to a properly shielded Genesis 2 scart cable with C-sync and I'd be good to go in that department with proper stereo output.

You can use the optional HD Retrovision component video cable for Genesis 2 (with it's 240p output) with the Krikzz EDFX board as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

PC Engine Fan, I’m curious if you’re experiencing any audio issues when you get your cable. I noticed what sounds like a volume mismatch. In Super Darius the sound when shooting the very first non-zako ships that fly in formation, they make a very jarring GANNK sound that I don’t remember being there. I’m not hearing it on YT longplays either.

I’ll try to do an audio capture to compare the TED pro vs. SSDS3. Maybe I can haul my Duo out to see if it reproduces there, too.

I have my TED Pro configured for “CORE EXP” for the audio preset. It’s running thru a SuperGrafx with the EDFX board.
PC Engine Fan X!

When I get both set of cables of HD Retrovision for Genesis 2 & Genesis 2 scart cable, I'll find out if I can replicate the Super Darius audio mismatch issue. Krikzz has mentioned that some cd-based games might not work 100% with slight audio glitches/issues -- perhaps a firmware update could fix those slight audio issues. I do have access to a Supergrafx, so I can listen to if the audio mismatch issue occurs on my setup as well, SavagePencil.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I'll also try to record the HuCard version, too, to see if it's present there or just on the CD version. I poked at the M2 Darius collection on the Switch and didn't hear it, but also only had a few minutes to try.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

PC Engine Fan,

Here's the video comparing the audio for Super Darius and Darius Plus on both the TED Pro and the SSDS3. You'll see at around the 00:55 mark that the zako are making a clipped sound when they go down; it gets worse. Let me know if you are seeing (hearing...) comparable things.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

SavagePencil wrote:PC Engine Fan,

Here's the video comparing the audio for Super Darius and Darius Plus on both the TED Pro and the SSDS3. You'll see at around the 00:55 mark that the zako are making a clipped sound when they go down; it gets worse. Let me know if you are seeing (hearing...) comparable things.
My TurboNanza is on its way, and I also have my TED Pro in hand. I can't compare to a SSD3 but I can see if I get the same sound glitches
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere. And Krikzz is on to it!

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/16631 ... 49saQ&s=19
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere. And Krikzz is on to it!

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/16631 ... 49saQ&s=19
Awesome! And to reduce unnecessary duplication I discovered Krikzz has forums and there’s a thread there. Probably best to use that one for this issue:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=12508.0
PC Engine Fan X!

It seems that the general recommendation is to use a Transcend branded up to a 256GB sized micro SDHC card to avoid with the audio glitching issues with a TE-P setup (it's well known that if you use a Sandisk branded micro SDHC card, audio glitching can occur due to possible strong current bursts when accessing CD rom files.) Krikzz mentioned something about bad caps on a PCE console setup or incorrect PSU being used that can lead to audio glitches with a TE-P setup as well. He said he'll release another firmware update to address the Darius audio glitch specifically -- so that'd be for the upcoming fw v1.05 then. Looking forward to it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

That audio glitching is different, however. That's due to voltage spikes that introduce a hum into the audio. But if you click my link above, you'll see that it's not just Darius but also Dracula X and others.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

34 TurboNanzas left, and this is the last production run until August.

https://ko-fi.com/s/4d0de1c0ac

well, from the designer anyway. It's an open source project, so other people are making it like this guy in china: https://jt-studios.com/product/turbonanza-kit/
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

So, apparently, when the TED Pro is in the Core Grafx 2, my Brook Retro Board doesn't get enough power to switch to its PCE mode?

I just picked up a Brook Retro Board, was taking all day trying to figure out why it worked with PC and Saturn but not with my PC Engine.

I did get it to work a few times when I immediately plugged it into the PCE after using it in the Saturn.

Then I tried using it with a regular HuCard in the slot... and it works every time. About 10% of the time, if I quickly power off the system and switch to the TED Pro, it'll keep working.

So I guess the TED Pro is eating enough voltage that the Brook Retro Board is under powered and not booting into the correct mode?

Not sure what I can do about this. There's probably a way to mod the console to give the controller port more current, maybe, but that feels a little risky
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Maybe a Triad with higher amps would do the trick.

Seems concerning that the TED Pro and/or Brook is drawing that much power though.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

jd213 wrote:Maybe a Triad with higher amps would do the trick.

Seems concerning that the TED Pro and/or Brook is drawing that much power though.
I'm using a Triad supply with 1.3 amps

And yeah, I do wonder what this situation means for longevity of the PC Engine. But it's probably just straining the voltage regulator, which can be replaced?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Big update: I got the Brook board to work by setting TED Pro to "last game autoboot", which skips the TED menu and goes straight into the game.

More details at https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1530077

Original post: Small update about the Brook Retro Board <> TED Pro compatibility

I found that if I get a successful boot where the Brook can recognize my PCE system, then I can unplug and plug the Brook board at will and it will continue to work. Only as long as I leave the PCE on

It's only after I power down the PC Engine that it will start everything over, and it will be a 1 in 10 chance that the Brook board will work.

So this leads me to believe that it's not a power draw issue. It might be some sort of data that the Everdrive sets in RAM or something, that sometimes interferes with the process of the Brook board recognizing that it's connected to a PC Engine.

Almost like a "handshake" issue but not quite
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

Snagged a Tourvision v4 jamma pcb with external PCE console pcb already mounted to the main motherboard itself. Had to break down and buy two Hu-Card to Tourvision cart convertors (otherwise, a Tourvision pcb is practically useless without one or if you don't have any Tourvision carts on hand). Am curious to see if a regular Turbo Everdrive and Turbo Everdrive Pro will work on a Tourvision pcb setup. By flipping all on-board dipswitch setting to up position enables "game id 255" to run said Hu-Card with menu & option settings enabled from the get-go -- however, a v4 Tourvision pcb would have to be updated to custom fw v6 to take advantage of this "game id 255" feature/funtionality. Hmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

Noticed that Stoneage Gamer has both black & white colored Turbo Everdrive Pros up for sale on their website -- so no need to order from Krikzz's site if you're from the USA.

Apparently, it's been confirmed that there were proper PC Engine to jamma conversion pcbs (utilizing a timer board + proper attenuated RGB output levels with the finicky PCE hardware) manufactured/sold in Japan for use in game centers back in the day (it just wasn't the United Amusements' official TurboGrafx-16 jamma conversion kits were sold over there but only in the USA exclusively back in 1989-1990 even though NEC had contracted United Amusements to manufacture/sell such a PCE powered jamma pcb to play both PCE & Turbo Chip Hu-Cards without the need for a Hu-Card convertor anyways).

There's the slick article about the newfangled TG-16 arcade hardware as shown in the February 1990 issue of "Video Games & Computer Entertainment" to get the word out that it was already out.

I've only come across trying out only once the uber-rare TG-16 jamma setup in an upright Dynamo cab running Blazing Lazers back in March of 1990 and haven't seen one since then.

A complete TG-16 jamma coversion kit consisted of the factory pcb shipping box, the actual jamma pcb itself, all necessary wiring looms, a single player control panel with all buttons & 8-way digital arcade joystick pre-mounted, all arcade paperworks including dip switch settings sheet & lastly, a full sized TG-16 backlit arcade marquee with it's trademarked eye-catchy neon colored scheme/motif to round things off as the "final cherry on top" grand finale. Even the included arcade control panel sported the classic TG-16 stylized fonts set to a brightly neon colored background motif as well (you couldn't miss it even if you wanted to).

Nowadays, if you do come across an ultra-rare TG-16 arcade jamma pcb kit out there in the wilds, chances/odds are high that it'll be incomplete to begin with -- just don't pay "top dollar" for it if incomplete (it's well known that most arcade owners/operators out & about on "street locations" with their arcade game cabs did trash/chuck such TG-16 arcade knick-knacks & tidbits they deemed as unnecessary once they got word that their TG-16 arcade pcb kits weren't rolling in the quarters/income like they used to due to uninterested arcade gamers with their finicky tastes -- arcade gamers vote with their almighty quarters & if said game "ain't pulling in the dough", it's outta here & something else new installed to take it's place). So be it. Typical of the American arcade scene back in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s era. True story, folks.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Dear god I hope the audio gets fixed soon. Everything else is a much better experience.

It got me with Darius and Star Parodier.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

SavagePencil wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:55 am Dear god I hope the audio gets fixed soon. Everything else is a much better experience.

It got me with Darius and Star Parodier.
What expansion device are you using? EDFX?

I notice my Turbonanza doesn't have as much disotortion as the videos of the EDFX on Super Darius. I think it has some distortion, but I'm not sure how much.

I'd have to find a direct capture from a PC Engine with an actual CD drive playing Super Darius for comparison.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Yes, EDFX. I can try and haul out a US Duo to do a comparison.
PC Engine Fan X!

The Krikzz EDFX add-on is now available through the Stoneage Gamer site with shipping from within the USA. Plus you can order from four different colored EDFX 3D printed outer casing shells to "really dress it up in style" courtesy of Retro Frog through the SAG site as well. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~