NES Power Supply

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lopenator

NES Power Supply

Post by Lopenator »

Options for aftermarket power module?

Has anybody tried Merlin Shaw? Looks nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144936529192?m ... media=COPY
starlightk7

Re: NES Power Supply

Post by starlightk7 »

Those boards are Open Hardware, the source files of which can be found here: https://github.com/ShawMerlin/NES-Power-Module-Redesign

I note that the open hardware logo has curiously been removed from the one you're looking at on eBay. It's supposed to be below the power jack.

There are many variants of this board depending on what type of outputs you want to use, including a newer one that has USB-C power. I have an older version of the Genesis 2 variant of this board that is use with OpenTendo. While the earliest revisions had some EMI/Noise issues that could potentially happen, the newest variants of these boards are very solid and a good choice for aftermarket replacement.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

I ordered it. Isn't this seller the original creator though? You're saying it might be a clone?

I only ordered the original rca board because my nes already has a cutout for the multiout.

I would like to note that my stock power module has nothing wrong with it but this might be better than stock.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

Lopenator wrote:I ordered it. Isn't this seller the original creator though? You're saying it might be a clone?
Actually you're right, I overlooked that that listing is actually linked to from the git repository; I just thought it was odd that the PCB didn't have it. Perhaps he chooses to remove the logo from ones he sells commercially so that if a user needs support he can tell the difference between the ones he made and the ones someone else did. I'm all for supporting the original creator - just can never be too careful today with the amount of profiteering cloners.