Nightmare fuel... Opened up my Dreamcast...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheRetroCarrot

Nightmare fuel... Opened up my Dreamcast...

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

So it appears someone tried some "repairs" on my Dreamcast before I bought it........................................................................ All I opened it up for was to prep the resistors for a GDEMU mod (it's VA0) and was greeted by this.......

Yes that is screws in the PSU connector that are then soldered to the pins. Those resistors at R1/F1 are bridged with a giant ball of solder, but then the resistor has 1 pin cut and is stuck in the blob for no reason just for fun. Lets not even talk about the battery....

Other than F1 and R1 can anyone notice anything off on the controller board? I think R1 is supposed to be a 13ohm resistor (every kit I see has a different value it seems), if anyone can confirm that'd be awesome. Also anyone know where I could purchase a new connector for the PSU board, as is the pins are so bent and lost their spring so I would need to solder the pins anyways or shim them which I'd rather not do.
bobrocks95

Re: Nightmare fuel... Opened up my Dreamcast...

Post by bobrocks95 »

Is that some kind of conductive glue on the battery? Because I thought that soldering directly to a battery was a great way to hurt yourself.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

bobrocks95 wrote:Is that some kind of conductive glue on the battery? Because I thought that soldering directly to a battery was a great way to hurt yourself.
You know it might actually be... I thought it was all just extremely nasty cold solder, but now that I think about it the stuff from the board I removed flowed funny, melted easy, and kinda just flew off the board as soon as I touched it.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Thought this was going to be about a DC filled with cockroaches or something.

Would take shoddy mod work over that any day.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Send it to Voultar :mrgreen:
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

tongshadow wrote:Send it to Voultar :mrgreen:
He doesn't do Canada shipping lol. Can't even buy parts off him.

It's all fixed and beautiful again anyways :)