Issue running a PCB, ay ideas?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nemo

Issue running a PCB, ay ideas?

Post by Nemo »

When I try to run my ESP ra.de PCB it initially takes 2-3 seconds to boot up, which isn’t normal with any other PCB I own. Once it boots up it goes to the “International” screen, but then the screen goes black after this. Not sure what to do. I tried cleaning it, making sure it was properly seated, and still nothing. I hadn’t played this one in a few years, but last time it worked fine. So not sure what else to try? Or if the game is just shot.
XtraSmiley

Re: Issue running a PCB, ay ideas?

Post by XtraSmiley »

Nemo wrote:When I try to run my ESP ra.de PCB it initially takes 2-3 seconds to boot up, which isn’t normal with any other PCB I own. Once it boots up it goes to the “International” screen, but then the screen goes black after this. Not sure what to do. I tried cleaning it, making sure it was properly seated, and still nothing. I hadn’t played this one in a few years, but last time it worked fine. So not sure what else to try? Or if the game is just shot.
Did you pop out the chips and clean them? I also like using Deoxit on the legs and the JAMMA edge.

Also, slowly give it more juice, not more than 5.2v though.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Nemo wrote:When I try to run my ESP ra.de PCB it initially takes 2-3 seconds to boot up, which isn’t normal with any other PCB I own. Once it boots up it goes to the “International” screen, but then the screen goes black after this. Not sure what to do. I tried cleaning it, making sure it was properly seated, and still nothing. I hadn’t played this one in a few years, but last time it worked fine. So not sure what else to try? Or if the game is just shot.
Different PCBs take different amounts of time to boot. That part doesn't really seem like a concern. Can't quite remember what DDP boots like, but it's not instant. CV1000 games aren't instant either.

First step in most PCB troubleshooting is to check voltages (while it's running, the numbers without a load won't help you). Should be over 5.0 and under 5.10 or so (Midway and some other boards you need a lot higher, lots of boards will be damaged if you go much above 5.10). 12v is more forgiving, you just want to make sure it's somewhere around 12 at least.

If that all seems good there and it's still not booting, I'd take a real solid look over the board to see if a trace got scratched, anything is bulging, a cap got knocked to one side and a leg is lifted, signs of corrosion, cracked solder joints, etc. Anything out of sorts.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, still trying to get it to work.