Original Famicom RGB Mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

Original Famicom RGB Mod

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

I originally ordered a OG famicom rgb kit from oldskoolconsoles.com but it got canceled after about 3 months.

I also tried contacting viletim about stock but got no reply from his site.

In the mean time I had already taken the PPU off ready , now I cant seem to get a RGB kit anymore.

Any other options for RGB on this console or will I have to put the PPU back on and do a AV mod instead.

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
Trevor spencer

Re: Original Famicom RGB Mod

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hmm , just checked viletims site again and it looks like there is stock now.

I take it there is only one type ? If so I'll get that ordered when I get paid.
YouTube
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I'd personally just go with an RGB Blaster (although it's not in stock right now) unless you have one of the FC models that's not compatible: https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartrid ... aster.html
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Seconding the RGB Blaster recommendation. A much simpler solution, and after seeing all the mess with the latest NESRGB board I'd avoid it entirely. And since you already have the PPU out, in case it happens to be one of the early ones not compatible you could replace it with another one.

That said, you can also learn to love composite with this particular system. AV mod + jailbar fix can be more than enough. IMO no RGB palette is as good as the original composite colors.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Interesting ill take a look , thanks
YouTube
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Wasn’t all issues with the NESRGB resolved now? I would go that route. It’s much neater.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Tim said the newest RGB boards currently for sale should be working just fine. That said, even Krikzz' original RGB Blaster he sold had an issue on the PCB that had to either be fixed by the user or sent back to him. No shade to Krikzz, he's amazing, but none of these products usually end up being perfect. I'd personally go for Tim's RGB board, simply because it's cleaner. But, the RGB Blaster is certainly terrific for it's ease of use. I don't know when the hell anyone will be able to get their hands on that, though.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

Krikzz recently said "soon" on the RGBBlaster - said he's just waiting on one more part to come in. I don't know when "soon" is though, hard to tell with the mess that is supply chain right now :p But I bought two of the first batch and they're pretty cool devices.