My 1st potential soldering project: NeoCD SD Loader

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

My 1st potential soldering project: NeoCD SD Loader

Post by Rock Man »

So, I'm thinking about fixing the sound on my modded Neo CD. I believe the background music is fine however there's huge crackling on the sound effects and voice lines, this occurs when leaving the game on for a period of time. I've tried updating the firmware and sending it to a mechanic, nothing works with this thing. The latter solution the mechanic would say it was fixed then when it arrived it enacts the same behavior. So, I'll handle this one myself.

But before I try to refit the mod, I think I wanna try one non-solder solution. A friend of mine who's a techy said it could be the psu so maybe replace that first? Should it fail then try re-soldering the mod? I'm a jr solder, made sure I took a soldering workshop before humoring this. Even burned myself, battle scars ftw :mrgreen: . The device I put together worked! So, it was worth the scar.

I come here seeking a good soldering kit for the SD Loader. Any suggestions? Other than the psu idea the only thing I can think of is to de-solder (pain in the ass) the board. Perhaps starting with the part that handles the CDDA. Is this known as reseating? This is the term my tech person used.

Let me know about that soldering kit or if this is even a good idea
bobrocks95

Re: My 1st potential soldering project: NeoCD SD Loader

Post by bobrocks95 »

Nobody responded so I would probably just say it's an awfully expensive console to be the first thing you start messing around with. I'd eliminate lots of other possibilities before pulling out a soldering iron. Do you have a multimeter to check continuity? Try the new PSU and post pictures of the current install before messing with it.

Generally speaking anything that doesn't start going wrong until the console has been on for a while makes me think capacitors. I don't know if NeoCD's often have capacitor problems, but inspect the caps on the board for any obvious leakage or bulging, and keep in mind they could still be bad even without visible degradation- it's worth googling to see if it's a common problem on NeoCD's.

If you do want to get into stuff, probably pick up a Hakko FX888D, and maybe consider something cheaper to work on first, though taking a workshop first is a lot better than most of the people I see attempt soldering for the first time and ruining a console.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Issues that arent persistently present could also be the result of cold solder joints.

Hakko is the best equipment for sure. A desolder gun is a must. Hot air station for smd parts. And of course a solder iron. Flux is also a must.

Also want to make sure you have proper ventilation and airflow in your work space and/or get a fume extractor. I even go as far as wearing a 3m gas mask with proper filters when doing heavy soldering jobs. Safety first. ;)

I also recommend watching lots of tutorials on youtube. Theres lost of good info, pointers and tips readily available to help ensure you're using the right tool for the right job and using the tools properly. The biggest key: for direct contact (solder iron/desoldering gun) heat should never be applied for more than 1-2 seconds.

But, as bobrocks recommended, best to rule things out methodically first. Shot gunning replacement parts should be a last resort.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Don't bother, the Neo SD Loader is poorly designed, full of flaws. It's a common unresolved issue now for over 2 years.

https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.ph ... 53/page-10
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Reading that it sounds like you can see if it's the install or the chip by dropping back down to firmware 0.8
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Thanks homies

I took bobrocks95 advice, this is one of the more complex consoles to desolder nothing like the Sega Saturn modchip install, uninstall for example.

I found a new tech who's kind enough to take the job. Should they fail I may just trash the system after all. This problem has been haunting.

I've already ruled out the firmware stuff. Dropped down to 8.0 and back up yet the problem persists! Even tried different power adapters and AV cables AWA TVs! It's something internal going on with the system.

I'd be very surprised if it were the capacitors since it was doing this with both the old and new ones installed. Gotta be the mod. I considered replacing the PSU but someone with the same problem as me already tried that and it didn't work.

So I'm keeping my figures crossed my tech wiz can make inroads with this thing.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't think this thread would get any play.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Rock Man wrote:Dropped down to 8.0 and back up yet the problem persists!
Did you actually try it on 0.8 before immediately re-upgrading? Some people said 0.8 was the only version that actually worked for them.

And by "trash the console" I sure hope you mean sell it to someone else who isn't bothered by the problem or doesn't care about using a NeoCD SD Loader.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Rock Man wrote:Dropped down to 8.0 and back up yet the problem persists!
Did you actually try it on 0.8 before immediately re-upgrading? Some people said 0.8 was the only version that actually worked for them.

And by "trash the console" I sure hope you mean sell it to someone else who isn't bothered by the problem or doesn't care about using a NeoCD SD Loader.
Yes I tried it on 0.8 and let it play for a while, after 10 minutes the sound became scratchy. I then upgraded to the latest firmware and the problem continued but this time after a half hour.

I was angry enough to trash it, but you make good sense. Someone else with a higher tolerance for this sort of problem could use it... I may sell it as is if my tech can't repair it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Completely non-working junk consoles sell for ~$80 it looks like. You have an honestly mostly-working $120 mod board in it. If you kept your CD drive it's a fully working console really...
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

bobrocks95 wrote:Completely non-working junk consoles sell for ~$80 it looks like. You have an honestly mostly-working $120 mod board in it. If you kept your CD drive it's a fully working console really...
This console didn't come with a drive sadly. I'll probably shoot for $120 if I decide to sell and it can't be fixed