Gscartsw crackling sound

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Gscartsw crackling sound

Post by Rock Man »

My gscartsw is giving me scratchy audio on my pvm. When I connect my sources to it raw the sound is fine.

Any input would be helpful.
Taiyaki

Re: Gscartsw crackling sound

Post by Taiyaki »

Never had this happen. Maybe dust in the connector slot? Does it happen on all slots? If so try cleaning the output slot. I hope you can get it fixed.
Gara

Post by Gara »

All your systems? How many systems have you tested? If it's multiple systems I would suspect the output cable. I'm assuming you're using the same female Scart to Male BNC cable when testing direct and through the Gscartsw. What is the cable going from the Gscart to the adapter?

Are you testing audio directly though your PVM's internal speakers? I have no idea why it would be a problem, but consider trying another pair of speakers just to narrow things down.

Are you only powering on one system at a time? You can get some weird behavior if you power multiple.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Hey guys, thanks for the concern. :)
All your systems? How many systems have you tested?
All but 3DO
If it's multiple systems I would suspect the output cable. I'm assuming you're using the same female Scart to Male BNC cable when testing direct and through the Gscartsw.
Tough to say, I used 2 different SCART to BNC cables. The first was fem SCART2BNC male no stripper. The next is male-to-male, SCART lead to BNC+sync stripper (discovered everything works even with the strip). I'll try my other femme SCART2BNC male cable with sync stripper next chance I get.

Still think it's the cable? I'll get another one if need be. It's a pain but if it's the only way then so be it.

What is the cable going from the Gscart to the adapter?
First time it's a regular female SCART to male BNC, linked to a male-to-male SCART cable.

The second time was straight male SCART to male BNC cable. The latter uses a sync stripper. I know to make sure sync regen is turned off when that thing is plugged in.

Bought from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193398140176?h ... XQAEFSD-4B

Those cables are of good quality.
Are you testing audio directly though your PVM's internal speakers? I have no idea why it would be a problem, but consider trying another pair of speakers just to narrow things down.
As in the default speakers? Yes.
Are you only powering on one system at a time? You can get some weird behavior if you power multiple.
Yup.
Taiyaki wrote:Never had this happen. Maybe dust in the connector slot? Does it happen on all slots? If so try cleaning the output slot. I hope you can get it fixed.
Again, thank you for the input. The device is brand new and I tried the same problem systems on multiple slots.

Guys, it's not all systems AFAIK didn't get any issues out of the Neo Geo or the SNES. I did get these god awful sound issues out of Dreamcast and Saturn (so basically the disc based stereo consoles). Saturn is the one I'd been testing the most once this problem reared it's ugly head!

First of all, I tried the 1st and 2nd cable. No go. Tried unplugging the daisy chain (shinybow), that didn't work. Then I unplugged everything except for output and the Saturn. After all that it still sounded awful.

I've narrowed it down, unplugged the gscartsw and hooked back up my Otaku switch and finally the Saturn played it's audio properly. This at least tells me it's not my PVM. Just then I remembered something about my old modded famicom that uses a playchoice 10 chip! At the time was an $800 endeavor (used to be the only way to achieve RGB out of famicoms) and I don't even use it anymore, the new famicom mod saw to that. Just bought a second one premodded that had the new NES2RGB and forget about it.

Anywho, that modded famicom had some kind of HD audio mod. Whenever I connected to my PVM I got the same type of scratchy sound except far worse! So I connected my gscartsw to my HDTV using the fabled retrotink 5x pro and behold! It works perfectly, sound and all!

The problem is, I didn't buy the gscart for my 1080p VIZIO I bought it for my Trinitron! If the problem is the gscart only does HD audio then I'll hunt down some type of stepdown audio device to convert HD back to analog.

Something tells me even that hypothesis is flawed, the only other thing I can think of is another cable. Is the gscartsw known to work on CRTs? If so then I'll suspect the cable. Although I've narrowed it significantly, I still don't know for sure!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yes the Gscartsw was fully intended to work on CRT's. I've used an older model on BVM's (I think was version 1.3 or 1.4) and then the more recent models (5.2 and 5.3) on my consumer CRT's (no longer use pro monitors at this point). Sound has never been on issue on any CRT I've used them on. Sorry can't be of more help, but hopefully you get this resolved soon. It's a shame SuperG isn't around these threads anymore, he was absolutely fantastic at helping out customers back in the day.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Taiyaki wrote:Yes the Gscartsw was fully intended to work on CRT's. I've used an older model on BVM's (I think was version 1.3 or 1.4) and then the more recent models (5.2 and 5.3) on my consumer CRT's (no longer use pro monitors at this point). Sound has never been on issue on any CRT I've used them on. Sorry can't be of more help, but hopefully you get this resolved soon. It's a shame SuperG isn't around these threads anymore, he was absolutely fantastic at helping out customers back in the day.
Heard about what happened to him.

Given what he's disclosed to me I understand his hands-off approach. It sucks whenever someone needs help with his device because he's the guy to talk to. Unfortunately it is what it is.

It's been resolved. Turns out most of my male-to-male SCART cables are opposed to my new switcher. I got 1 of 4 of them to work. Basically all of them came from my powered switchers. Shinybow, Keene Commander, etc.

Thanks you guys! :)
Gara

Post by Gara »

Rock Man wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Yes the Gscartsw was fully intended to work on CRT's. I've used an older model on BVM's (I think was version 1.3 or 1.4) and then the more recent models (5.2 and 5.3) on my consumer CRT's (no longer use pro monitors at this point). Sound has never been on issue on any CRT I've used them on. Sorry can't be of more help, but hopefully you get this resolved soon. It's a shame SuperG isn't around these threads anymore, he was absolutely fantastic at helping out customers back in the day.
Heard about what happened to him.

Given what he's disclosed to me I understand his hands-off approach. It sucks whenever someone needs help with his device because he's the guy to talk to. Unfortunately it is what it is.

It's been resolved. Turns out most of my male-to-male SCART cables are opposed to my new switcher. I got 1 of 4 of them to work. Basically all of them came from my powered switchers. Shinybow, Keene Commander, etc.

Thanks you guys! :)

Aaah makes sense. That's why I was asking about your output chain of cables. I can't speak for Keene, but all the Shinybow cables they bundle are beyond terrible. They look big and thick, but the internal wires are junk.

To repeat what the others said, Gscartsw works great with CRT's. It's not doing anything exotic with the audio or video.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Aaah makes sense. That's why I was asking about your output chain of cables. I can't speak for Keene, but all the Shinybow cables they bundle are beyond terrible. They look big and thick, but the internal wires are junk.

To repeat what the others said, Gscartsw works great with CRT's. It's not doing anything exotic with the audio or video
1+ post!

I'm going to replace my male to male SCARTs going forward... never can be too careful

You've been a great help to me.