Original Xbox: MakeMHz vs. Xedusa vs. Retrotink 5x Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Original Xbox: MakeMHz vs. Xedusa vs. Retrotink 5x Pro

Post by Rock Man »

Here comes the gauntlet.

Which of these devices gives you the best picture for good ol Xbox and why?
BuckoA51

Re: Original Xbox: MakeMHz vs. Xedusa vs. Retrotink 5x Pro

Post by BuckoA51 »

Xedusa just digitises, so the end result is entirely down to your TV.

The 5x currently has more picture processing options, while the MakeMHz is a purely digital to digital solution. Given that there aren't really any Xbox games that can't be made to run in at least 480p in most instances the MakeMHz will be the best quality solution, though with some effort 480p scaling can be VERY good on the 5x.

If you just want the best noise free and hassle free connection, MakeMhz,
If you want to tinker with post-processing filters to make it look like it's running on a VGA CRT monitor or something, RetroTINK 5x.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

BuckoA51 wrote:Xedusa just digitises, so the end result is entirely down to your TV.

The 5x currently has more picture processing options, while the MakeMHz is a purely digital to digital solution. Given that there aren't really any Xbox games that can't be made to run in at least 480p in most instances the MakeMHz will be the best quality solution, though with some effort 480p scaling can be VERY good on the 5x.

If you just want the best noise free and hassle free connection, MakeMhz,
If you want to tinker with post-processing filters to make it look like it's running on a VGA CRT monitor or something, RetroTINK 5x.
I see that makea sense. Does the MHz upscale the box to output at a higher resolution? Would the Xbox have the option to output in 480p in HDMI like it can do on the Tink or is it the typical fixed resolution based on your displays maximum input?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

The XboxHD+ will let you output anything you like except 1080p+. I would imagine the RT5X outputting 1440p would probably look nicer? In the future, XboxHD+ and the Tink 4K or another scaler that supports HDMI input will be the best solution.

PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

bobrocks95 wrote:The XboxHD+ will let you output anything you like except 1080p+. I would imagine the RT5X outputting 1440p would probably look nicer? In the future, XboxHD+ and the Tink 4K or another scaler that supports HDMI input will be the best solution.

That does it I'm getting XboxHD+

I do have a Tink 5x but I desire more HD out of my Xbox. This appears to be it!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would definitely go for the MakeMHz XboxHD+ too. The new version relies on their modchip which allows you to use Xbox One/Series controllers with USB-adapters. Every controller MS did prior to the Xbox One are complete garbage IMO, but the One-controller is pretty nice, so this is a great feature for me :)

On Discord they have also said that they are looking into adding 2x scale for 480p (960p), so that's really neat for displays that support that resolution :)

https://makemhz.com/products/stellar#features
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

So I have an old school xecuter mod chip in my xbox - would that work with the HDMI mod board (potentially with a reflash) or do you HAVE to use their modchip?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Pretty sure you have to use their modchip (Stellar), it is included with the HDMI board.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

So I have an old school xecuter mod chip in my xbox - would that work with the HDMI mod board (potentially with a reflash) or do you HAVE to use their modchip?
The older revisions worked with older modchips but the latest revision needs Stellar I believe.
I would imagine the RT5X outputting 1440p would probably look nicer?
Well, the 5x's 480p scaling once you get it right does look great that's for sure. I guess if you like adding those VGA monitor style thin scanlines it could definitely be worth it, I suppose it'd come down to how well your TV scaled too.

Biggest drawback of the MakeMhz mod for me is the loss of analogue out and 480i support, so no light guns and no classic consumer CRTs any more (unless you use a downscaler I guess). Although I did test light guns using a DAC and a 480p CRT and they did still work.. perhaps not quite as well as native analogue out but House of the Dead was still pretty playable. Silent Scope I couldn't get working but that's a PITA to get working on an unmodded console too unless you're in a pitch dark room with the CRTs brightness cranked up super high.

Both products are super awesome, I suppose I would say that since I sell them both :mrgreen:
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page