Dying tube?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
amxcs

Dying tube?

Post by amxcs »

Hello, I have a KV-29ls30e at 25000h. The service menu shows error E05 IKR and E11 8V. After a short research, I found out that with a dying tube, this error - E05 - starts to appear.
Also the TV in the corners has very poor focus and convergence. I tried adjusting with the focus and white balance, but in the end I don't like it.
I have another trinitron (100Hz) with the same tube. Focus and convergence are excellent with it.

My question is the poor focus and convergence, is it coming from the dying tube or is the problem somewhere else?
Taiyaki

Re: Dying tube?

Post by Taiyaki »

25k hours seems a bit low for the tube to die. Can't say I've ever heard of this but hopefully someone else has experience with this. Pretty sure there's a lot of tubes over 25k hours and still running great out there.

Focus and convergence is always weaker in the corners as the center is intended to be more in focus, but if it's really bad then yeah that's a problem.
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

I saw pictures of the same TV and the difference is huge.

E05 IKR - info
And what does this error E11 8V jungle mean?

Also to ask if I change the tube will it require a lot of adjustment? And will I be able to change it together with the yoke?
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Poor focus/convergence can indeed be caused by a worn tube. Get a good CRT rejuvenator and try to restore it, you can get pretty decent results with this process.
https://blog.timowens.io/crt-rejuvination/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWqqB_OnYzE
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

Well after an hour of setup, it's not that bad. Only the lower left and upper right corners are not good, but I think I'll leave it that way.
Can the factory permaloy patches be moved and will it be an improvement?

Still, I'll keep a 100hz TV because of the tube if I need it in the future. It can also be used for 480i - PS2 is perfectly through S-video.

Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Looks like a pretty great picture to me.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Taiyaki wrote:Looks like a pretty great picture to me.
Agreed. This looks to be in good shape, especially for 25k hours.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Tbh it might be component age and usual suspect of capicitors more than tube.... No idea how tv would actually measure tube condition but if a resistance or capacitor was under performing that could trigger the error just as much as there actually being an issue (or not) with the tube itself...

Also, although similar, consumer sets in particular are not all equal - so best to rely on what you're happy with and not worry too much what anyone else's looks like... ... This is going to be quoted out of context :?