GCHD Mk-II component vs official cables on a CRT?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheRetroCarrot

GCHD Mk-II component vs official cables on a CRT?

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

In my search for the best picture quality possible regardless of cost, I was looking at getting some component cables for the GC. I came across a MLIG video comparing options and they came to the conclusion that the GCHD Mk-II with Wii component cables actually outputted a better analog signal with less artifacting than the original cables. All the stills and images I've found support this, however some people have said otherwise.

Has anybody tested both of these options and has some input on whether one or the other offers a better image quality? They're about the same price regardless so it's just a matter of output quality for me.

Thanks!
jd213

Re: GCHD Mk-II component vs official cables on a CRT?

Post by jd213 »

There's also Carby + HDMI to YPbPr adapter (not sure if the brand matters but PORTTA seems to be fairly popular). Might be cheaper and about the same quality.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I believe Extrems has said to avoid GCVideo Lite based products (Carby component eg), not sure if the GCHD Mk. II has the same problems or an internal DAC or what.

Either way I'd just get a Carby and a Portta converter.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

IMO the official cables are still the absolute best if cost is no object
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll just go with the official cables, then I can always resell them if I ever find I no longer have the need anyways. Lots of d-terminal cables available for cheaper than the Mk-II anyways at the moment.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Official cables remain the best. Second best is probably one of the update friendly HDMI adapters plus an HDMI to YPbPr converter.

It's unfortunate that all the actual component cable clones are such garbage. So many people got tricked into buying those terrible Retrobit Prism component cables.

As for the EON MK-II, it has pretty questionable build quality for its price. It can be updated, but from what I recall it uses a modified firmware that is equivalent to the latest GCVideo-DVI. Here is what the GBI Wiki has to say:

"EON GCHD Mk-II's analog output suffers from 54MHz and harmonic interference."
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... eo_quality

Edit:
Has anybody tested both of these options and has some input on whether one or the other offers a better image quality? They're about the same price regardless so it's just a matter of output quality for me.
I have an mk-ii on the latest firmware and an RGB Scart cable from Retro Access and also the official Gamecube component cables. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the two on my BVM-D20F1U in 480i/240p and 480p. I didn't go very far in my testing though. I decided to just use the official cables as those are always the ones people end up choosing when going in depth.
Last edited by Gara on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

As said, none of the current analog non official cables are quite up to par. Using an HDMI adapter with a modern GCVideo-DVI firmware with an HDMI to YPbPr converter may be the best option there, while having issues with a few things.

Either the official ones if a viable and worth option or a Wii (albeit may need a bit more of work with it) should be a better options than what's currently avaliable from third parties for the GameCube on analog video output.

If you just want 15kHz, a PAL GameCube through RGB should be fine too for a CRT, but the Wii may do as well if not better in that scenario as is through component.