DC VGA shmup woes.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Daigoro

DC VGA shmup woes.

Post by Daigoro »

i finally got a vga box for my Dreamcast. so i flipped my CRT monitor, plugged everything in and fired it up, only to find out:

-Ikaruga is amazing looking. VGA purchase justified.
-Gigawing 2 is actually a horizontal game. odd. dont really like GW2 anyways.
-Mars Matrix has no TATE mode! how... lame.
-Gunbird 2 refuses to run via VGA!!! ARG! not happy about this one at all... no way to cheat to get it to run on my monitor i suppose?

the only real reason i bought it was for TATE shmups.

i knew the benifits of running Ikaruga through VGA, but i assumed other games would benifit as well. (really pissed about Gunbird)

will Under Defeat run on VGA? i sure hope so. its pretty much the reason that i got the VGA box. guess i should have checked it out first, but it is still worth it for Ikaruga.

any other good vert shmups that run in VGA?
Ghegs

Re: DC VGA shmup woes.

Post by Ghegs »

Daigoro wrote:-Gigawing 2 is actually a horizontal game. odd. dont really like GW2 anyways.
Neither of them are designed for vertically-oriented monitors. That's the way they are in their original arcade form, vertically-scrolling games but designed for horizontally-oriented screens. Did you never play your games before this?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

Ghegs wrote:
Daigoro wrote:-Gigawing 2 is actually a horizontal game. odd. dont really like GW2 anyways.
Neither of them are designed for vertically-oriented monitors. That's the way they are in their original arcade form, vertically-scrolling games but designed for horizontally-oriented screens. Did you never play your games before this?
yes, i have played them before.

i did realize that Gigawing was designed this way before hand, but i had either forgotten or never tried MM in TATE mode.

of course they are both still very playable with VGA. not so for Gunbird 2 unfortunately, which was the big dissapointment for me.
nZero

Post by nZero »

You can actually boot Gunbird 2 in VGA mode if you start the game with the VGA box switched to TV mode and then flip it to VGA mode after you hear the DC logo finish and before the disc spins up. It's plagued with slowdown when played in this fashion, though. Also a few sprites will show up in the wrong place, very strange.

Under Defeat will almost certainly support the VGA box. I've yet to run into a NAOMI port that hasn't been designed for progressive-scan.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Daigoro wrote: -Mars Matrix has no TATE mode! how... lame.
"Lame"??? The arcade was a horizontal monitor... how can an arcade perfect conversion be lame? Changing to horizontal would totally change the whole feel of the game.

http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=8629

:?:
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

nZero wrote:You can actually boot Gunbird 2 in VGA mode if you start the game with the VGA box switched to TV mode and then flip it to VGA mode after you hear the DC logo finish and before the disc spins up. It's plagued with slowdown when played in this fashion, though. Also a few sprites will show up in the wrong place, very strange.

Under Defeat will almost certainly support the VGA box. I've yet to run into a NAOMI port that hasn't been designed for progressive-scan.
hm. sounds wonky. anyways my cheapy vga dosent have the option to switch betweem tv/vga mode.

ill keep my fingers crossed about Under Defeat.
elvis wrote:
Daigoro wrote: -Mars Matrix has no TATE mode! how... lame.
"Lame"??? The arcade was a horizontal monitor... how can an arcade perfect conversion be lame? Changing to horizontal would totally change the whole feel of the game.

http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=8629

:?:
poor choice of wording. i had never played MM on anything but an un-tate-able tv.

i guess i just find vertical shmups on horizontal monitors "lame". a preference. better???
thechop

Post by thechop »

get yourself a copy of psyvariar 2 ,its fully tate-able and you won't worry about gw2 again its substandard by comparison fully tate-able,you might also wanna try trizeal and castle of shikigami 2. you won't be disappointed although trizeals not to everybody's taste but there is agood game in there just takes patience to find.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

thechop wrote:get yourself a copy of psyvariar 2 ,its fully tate-able and you won't worry about gw2 again its substandard by comparison fully tate-able,you might also wanna try trizeal and castle of shikigami 2. you won't be disappointed although trizeals not to everybody's taste but there is agood game in there just takes patience to find.
cool, thanks for the reccomendations.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Yeah, I can confirm. Mars Matrix is a hori game, just like GW 2.

And yeah, some games dont' suport the VGA box. those games can be tricked into boting with it sometimse, but that always causes problems, which is why it's not suported in the first place.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Daigoro wrote:of course they are both still very playable with VGA. not so for Gunbird 2 unfortunately, which was the big dissapointment for me.
Gunbird 2 is not a VGA game in the acrade, so it would be a lot of work to make it output VGA graphic. The port is actually as acrade perfact as it could be.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

SAM wrote:
Daigoro wrote:of course they are both still very playable with VGA. not so for Gunbird 2 unfortunately, which was the big dissapointment for me.
Gunbird 2 is not a VGA game in the acrade, so it would be a lot of work to make it output VGA graphic. The port is actually as acrade perfact as it could be.
yeah. ive played it TATE'd on old tv's through an RF switch (sadly). its still great to see it in the proper size/ratio on the screen.

i think my real problem here is that i assumed (bad idea) that even if a game didnt output in VGA, i could still play the game on my monitor with the cord.

are there switches that do this? (allow a console to allow any signal to pass through, not just VGA?) maybe one of those multi system ones?

i was hoping that my monitor would be able to serve as a good TATE monitor for all of my vert games. my only other options to play vert shmups on would be old TV's with poor picture/sound or a large un-TATE-able TV sitting in my entertainment center.

i just want to TATE dang it! :D
SAM

Post by SAM »

Daigoro wrote:are there switches that do this? (allow a console to allow any signal to pass through, not just VGA?) maybe one of those multi system ones?

i was hoping that my monitor would be able to serve as a good TATE monitor for all of my vert games. my only other options to play vert shmups on would be old TV's with poor picture/sound or a large un-TATE-able TV sitting in my entertainment center.

i just want to TATE dang it! :D
Well you either use some hacking device to trick the DC to output VGA for Gunbird 2, but the usually would some graphic problem for if you do so.

Or you could use a upscan convertor, like X-RGB2 to upscan the RGB out to VGA.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

Daigoro wrote:any other good vert shmups that run in VGA?
Shikigami no Shiro 2
Psyvariar 2
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

any word on Radigy?

... or whatever it's called
I have no sig whatsoever.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

captain ahar wrote:any word on Radigy?

... or whatever it's called
Its a naomi port, so it will surely support VGA.