Is this a good component switch box ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Legi0n

Is this a good component switch box ?

Post by Legi0n »

I was trying to buy a RadioShack Component switch Box but it is out of stock....

Now I am looking at a generic version of the Monoprice 103027 : https://a.co/d/0ysbxyH

Is this a good component switch box ? I want it for Wii and PS2....
bobrocks95

Re: Is this a good component switch box ?

Post by bobrocks95 »

I've got one but it added noise on my plasma. Haven't tested it with a less sensitive display though (that plasma was very picky when it came to analog video)
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
svcoco

Post by svcoco »

For a long time I used this exact same component switch. Stock power supply produces noise.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yeah I wouldn't recommend these. I used to use various models like that but ultimately it's a shame to finish your chain with a cheap device imo.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I mean, GCompSW, but $$$
Legi0n

Post by Legi0n »

So neither the Monoprice one nor this Radioshack one: https://acceselectronique.ca/products/2 ... ache=false are good ?

Should I just connect my Wii HD Retrovision component cable directly to the TV/Upscaler ?

How about a passive switcher ? Somebody here recommended to get an active switcher ? what's the point of active ones if they introduce noise ?
Last edited by Legi0n on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skroober

Post by Skroober »

HD Retrovision has recommendations.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Still hate the footprint for gcompsw or gscartsw. I have no clue how people are putting them in actual media furniture with short shelving. Wall mounted behind the TV is the only thing that remotely makes sense when all the ports are up-facing.

Can BNC switches generally pass YPbPr fine? I'd get an old professional switcher, doesn't have to be as big as a Crosspoint but I'd imagine there's some similar offerings from Extron.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Legi0n

Post by Legi0n »

svcoco wrote:For a long time I used this exact same component switch. Stock power supply produces noise.
so if I buy a good power supply for it, it will work correctly ?
Guile

Post by Guile »

The Dynex one I have looks almost identical to that one. I can check again but I didn't notice any noise on PS2 or Wii with it. I got a NOS unit still in the box and use the stock power supply.

In my opinion passive switches are fine too. You can try that other one you linked before, it works well in my experience and it's handy to daisy chain to other switches.
Legi0n

Post by Legi0n »

Guile wrote:The Dynex one I have looks almost identical to that one. I can check again but I didn't notice any noise on PS2 or Wii with it. I got a NOS unit still in the box and use the stock power supply.

In my opinion passive switches are fine too. You can try that other one you linked before, it works well in my experience and it's handy to daisy chain to other switches.
you mean the Monoprice 103027 looks like the Dynex one you have ?

Which one of these would you go with ?

(1) https://a.co/d/0ysbxyH

(2) https://acceselectronique.ca/products/2 ... ache=false

.... I might get a good power supply for it later on too...

I am leaning towards the Monoprice one since it does optical switching too...I need that ...

So the question is, If I go with the Monoprice switcher and get a good power supply for it, Will that setup get the job done properly ?
Guile

Post by Guile »

Legi0n wrote:

I am leaning towards the Monoprice one since it does optical switching too...I need that ...

So the question is, If I go with the Monoprice switcher and get a good power supply for it, Will that setup get the job done properly ?
Yeah the Dynex one looks like a rebrand of the Monoprice one. Those switches don't have optical audio only coaxial, is that what you meant?

It's hard to tell if a certain setup will produce noise, I've had issues with that constantly so I can't guarantee anything but from my testing that switch is fine.

I've never tried the RadioShack one so I don't know how it performs.
Legi0n

Post by Legi0n »

Guile wrote:
Legi0n wrote:

Yeah the Dynex one looks like a rebrand of the Monoprice one. Those switches don't have optical audio only coaxial, is that what you meant?

It's hard to tell if a certain setup will produce noise, I've had issues with that constantly so I can't guarantee anything but from my testing that switch is fine.

I've never tried the RadioShack one so I don't know how it performs.
it does support optical, from the amazon link: "Supports Component Video, Digital Coaxial Audio, and Digital Optical Audio (Toslink) inputs and outputs"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

It very clearly has no optical inputs or outputs... Conversion to coax requires an active converter...
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

bobrocks95 wrote:Still hate the footprint for gcompsw or gscartsw. I have no clue how people are putting them in actual media furniture with short shelving. Wall mounted behind the TV is the only thing that remotely makes sense when all the ports are up-facing.

Can BNC switches generally pass YPbPr fine? I'd get an old professional switcher, doesn't have to be as big as a Crosspoint but I'd imagine there's some similar offerings from Extron.
I use an Audio Authority device and it's my recommended alternative (the second model that doesn't have the auto switching bug). It's just as good just less ports.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Taiyaki wrote: I use an Audio Authority device and it's my recommended alternative (the second model that doesn't have the auto switching bug). It's just as good just less ports.
Are you referring to the 1154 and 1154A? If so, what is the auto switching bug on the 1154? I'm just curious.

I've used an 1154A for several years with no real complaints. It can be a bit iffy when auto switching at times, but that's pretty rare. From what I recall it has internal jumpers to help prioritize how it switches and it is a passive switch that only uses the AC adapter for the auto switching. It was a pretty expensive piece of equipment when it was new. Just under $300 I think?

https://www.audioauthority.com/download ... 2008-8.pdf
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:Still hate the footprint for gcompsw or gscartsw. I have no clue how people are putting them in actual media furniture with short shelving. Wall mounted behind the TV is the only thing that remotely makes sense when all the ports are up-facing.

IDK, mine sits on a shelf in my console under the TV, door closed all day. I never see it
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Gara wrote:
Taiyaki wrote: I use an Audio Authority device and it's my recommended alternative (the second model that doesn't have the auto switching bug). It's just as good just less ports.
Are you referring to the 1154 and 1154A? If so, what is the auto switching bug on the 1154? I'm just curious.

I've used an 1154A for several years with no real complaints. It can be a bit iffy when auto switching at times, but that's pretty rare. From what I recall it has internal jumpers to help prioritize how it switches and it is a passive switch that only uses the AC adapter for the auto switching. It was a pretty expensive piece of equipment when it was new. Just under $300 I think?

https://www.audioauthority.com/download ... 2008-8.pdf
Yes it's the 1154A. At the time I bought it I found a lot of brand new sealed ones for 60 usd on ebay. The same seller would relist one a few weeks after one sold, so I bough it from him. I was really blown away by how clean the picture was coming from those cheaper devices. I had found a passive cheaper from GE that gave me the cleanest passive results but eventually it started developing video issues after about 3 years. By then I decided was time to go for something more serious. I haven't had any auto switching issues but I basically mostly use port 1 (gscartsw) and 2 (groovymame). 3 and 4 are for Gamecube and Wii. I have no real need for any more ports in the future since everything else is modded to go to scart. That was my main issue with the gscartsw (8 slots is too much), also they cost way more and take up way more space.

From what I recall the bug on the non "A" revision model was that the auto switching was unreliable if one device sent a signal of any kind when powered off then it wouldn't auto switch to the console you'd just power on. I never had one but read about this from others who encountered the issue.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:

IDK, mine sits on a shelf in my console under the TV, door closed all day. I never see it
How many consoles do you have hooked up? I have two systems directly on top of my Extron VGA switch (PSOne and Wii)