RGB to Component Box low brightness. I really need some help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
IgnacioF

RGB to Component Box low brightness. I really need some help

Post by IgnacioF »

It wasn't the box problem, it was my console! Please delete this post admins, I don't seem to be able to do it myself.
Last edited by IgnacioF on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guspaz

Re: RGB to Component Box low brightness. I really need some

Post by Guspaz »

Bitfunx is known for ripping off other people's work, but try a different USB power source (and make sure you're connecting the thing to power in the first place), and ensure that the three gain dials are at maximum (and then adjust down from there).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Not to knock on this product cause I've never tried it, but next time if you ever get another I recommend the Retrotink Scart to Component. It's a winner that outclassed all my previous Scart to Component encoders (and I've tried quite a few).
IgnacioF

Post by IgnacioF »

Taiyaki wrote:Not to knock on this product cause I've never tried it, but next time if you ever get another I recommend the Retrotink Scart to Component. It's a winner that outclassed all my previous Scart to Component encoders (and I've tried quite a few).
Thank you for your recommendation, I will try and see if I can buy it later. And thank you guys for your feedback. But I still want some advice in how to make this box look brighter, I know it can be done by using resistors or capacitors in the SCART connectors, so it should theoretically be possible doing it in these boxes themselves.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Like Guspaz said, change power supply and start with the 3 color pots maxed and then dial them back to balance the color.

Though I will point out that any design with pots for the color lines is flawed to begin with- the conversion from RGB to component uses known values http://www.gregssandbox.com/gtech/movievideo/comp.htm
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
IgnacioF

Post by IgnacioF »

Guspaz wrote:Bitfunx is known for ripping off other people's work, but try a different USB power source (and make sure you're connecting the thing to power in the first place), and ensure that the three gain dials are at maximum (and then adjust down from there).
Yes, I have done it, but no difference. In fact the potentiometers only make red green and blue more or less saturated, they have nothing to do with brightness. It is weird because in other boxes you can use these potentiometers to adjust not only the color, but the tint and the brightness at the same time.

What I like about this box, independent of its lack of brightness, is that the colors are very good, very balanced and true to the source, there is no tint issues and it doesn't change the palette of the source inputs.

It is also very sharp, so to me and for the sake of simplicity, I would love to hear some hints about a "Do it yourself" solution. Thankfully I do have a store in my town to buy capacitors/resistors and those little things to maybe fix this myself, I just need some ideas on where to use these and which values.