AV Famicom - Flickering colors with the Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Phipz.

AV Famicom - Flickering colors with the Framemeister

Post by Phipz. »

Hello fellow gamers :D

I recently acquired an AV Famicom from Japan. Whenever I turn it on however, I get very flickering "rainbow-ie" colors and an overall jaggiedness to the picture.

This video shows the problem with Akumajou Densetsu: https://youtu.be/jEKU-M2MLFM

I've tested the problem with japanese Ninja Gaiden III and PAL Castlevania 1 (through a PIN-Adapter) with both showing the same problem, especially in green colored areas. I tested both a replacement PSU from Retro Gaming Supply and an official Mega Drive 1 PSU, both with a wall socket as well as a multi socket. The AV Famicom goes into the composite input of my Framemeister with the official Nintendo Multi-Out cables and from there per HMDI into my LG C1 OLED. First I thought it must the Famicom itself, since the problem does not occur with my PAL NES, which also goes into the front of the Framemeister with (third-party) composite cables. When I was just about to send it off for a cap replacement, I tried plugging the Famicom directly into my bedroom television (an old Sony Bravia with direct RCA input) and to my surprise, the issue was not present at all.

So by process of elimination, I think the problem lies somewhere with my Framemeister settings (I tried FireBrandX RGB NES profile, I tried the default settings as well as a reset).

Does anyone have had similar experiences and found a solution? Can the problem still lie with the Famicom itself? I'm kinda clueless on what to do :cry: