Apple Multiple Scan 15AV CRT monitor repair

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tony359

Apple Multiple Scan 15AV CRT monitor repair

Post by tony359 »

Hello all,

This is my first post here - I read this is one of the best places for CRT repair, and I understand why!

To start: I (hope) I know what I am doing inside a CRT, that I need to discharge it and ground it before touching anything.

I've got a number of these Apple monitors. They're somehow brand new but likely DOA or used by service centres as there are RMA numbers on the boxes. I was trying to make one or two working out of a pile I found :)
I brought home a couple, one unfortunately had a broken neck.

The other one would make a fast clicking noise when powered up. The Power LED also flashes. I know this usually points to the flyback but it looks like the PSU section to me. I do not see arching and the clicking noise comes from the PSU (I've confirmed using a plastic hose!). I've monitored one of the test points mentioned by the service manual for voltage and it goes on and off with the clicking.

So I swapped the boards between the two monitors and... same clicking. Now, I cannot be sure these monitors ever worked. Chances are those boards have the same fault on them. Again, both the boards and the tubes are spotless.

I took a look around, I could not find anything shorted around the PSU area and my thermal camera does not show anything warming up.

Unfortunately I do not have schematics - only a service manual which is pretty generic.

The question I have for you is: can a faulty CRT cause this kind of issue? When I swapped the board, I swapped the neckboard with it so there is nothing left in the monitor!

I have a feeling this is a "simple" SMPS issue but it's not easy with no schematics. The board is also pretty much inaccessible - I guess I would need to take it out and power it up on a side to test something, but still pretty difficult without schematics.
The board is manufactured by LG and it's PN 6870T024A

Any pointers would be welcome! :) Thank you!

Service manual can be found here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AukePwK7XyEPhOZLULQ ... Q?e=4dWfcN

Pics