Controller Remappers for PC/Playstations/Switches/Xboxen

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SavagePencil

Controller Remappers for PC/Playstations/Switches/Xboxen

Post by SavagePencil »

Looking for guidance on hardware controller remappers. If anyone has experience with them or can offer scripting guidance, I would appreciate it.

I am trying to get my XE1AJ-USB Cyber Stick to work on a variety of consoles, specifically the 360 and the Switch. It would be nice if I can get other controllers working, too. I want to be able to remap buttons and axes to arbitrary target consoles. For the Cyber Stick, I'd like to map the analog stick to the Left stick (Switch and 360) and the Throttle to either the Right Stick (Switch) or LT/RT triggers (360).

I purchased a Cronus Zen, but I don't think this is up to the task. Button remapping seems simple enough, but where I hit a wall is with axis mapping. When hooked up to a Windows PC, the Cyber Stick has the analog stick as the left stick (X & Y), but the throttle shows up as Z Rotation (Axis #5, I think). The Cronus Zen doesn't know how to handle this thing at all and doesn't display anything on the ZenStudio app. Maybe scripting will work, but I don't see Axis #5 as a #define in the documentation.

Two other devices seem promising: the ReaSnow looks like it will let you map more axes, but the interface requires you to use an Android or iOS app and it talks to to the device over Bluetooth. That seems fragile and stupid.

The Titan Two seems like it may be OK, but I'm worried I'll get midway into it and hit the same wall as the Cronus Zen.

Ideas? Experience?
SavagePencil

Re: Controller Remappers for PC/Playstations/Switches/Xboxen

Post by SavagePencil »

Here's an update for those who may be interested as I work further on it:

I was able to get the Cyber Stick working on the 360 for After Burner Climax with a Cronus Max Pro device. I used the X-Aim plugin--which comes with the Cronus Max Pro's latest software. This requires me to tether the stick through a Windows 10 PC while playing the game. Via DirectInput and X-Aim, I was able to remap the Cyber Stick's analog stick to the 360's left stick, and the throttle to the 360's right stick.

The connection goes: legit 360 wired controller into the Cronus Max Pro. Cronus Max Pro into the 360. Cyber Stick into the PC. Connection from PC to Cronus Max Pro via the "Prog" USB port on it.

This guy on YT (333SPGTO) has a similar setup, except instead of using X-Aim it looks like he is using a combination of x360ce (Xbox 360 Controller Emulator) and CronusMax-XInput to do the re-mapping. I don't know why he has to do it...maybe he's using an earlier version of the Cronus Max device, or maybe there are some secret benefits I have not discovered yet.

I was not able to find a way to coax the newer, more modern Cronus Zen device to do what I needed to so I returned it. In many ways, this device felt like a step backwards from its predecessor, but then again they turned their focus to a very different crowd: those looking to use mouse and keyboards for FPS games on console. That was not a very fun scene for me so I'm glad I backed out of it. The device itself was finicky and I could not find a way to remap the throttle. It's a shame, as the Zen has more modern console support.

Next up:
  • Cyber Stick on Switch for ACA Metal Hawk and Sega Ages G-LOC: The Cronus Max Pro doesn't do Switch out of the box, so I'll be outputting PS3 and then running that through a Brook PS3->Switch adaptor. Hoo boy.
  • Saturn Twin Stick on Switch for ACA Assault: Let's push our luck by going Brook Saturn to USB -> PC -> Cronus Max -> Brook PS3 -> Switch adaptor.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

very interested to read - thanks! Please keep us updated on further experiments!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Good chance you can get all this done with a Blissbox Gamerpro + Bridge combo.
You can remap all controls in the API, and Ulao is pretty fast with adding support.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What’s the Bridge, and how do you get around the necessity of a legit controller?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The Bridge is here.
https://bliss-box.net/store/Bridge-p496816928

Using a PC is an interesting solution, but the overhead and unpredictable scheduling from a PC operating system give me pause.
We apologise for the inconvenience
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I got a couple of minutes tonight to play with ACA Assault on the Switch with the Saturn Twin Stick. Overall it felt good, with one exception: Up on the right stick was finnicky. I'll need to spend some time playing with this to identify why this was inconsistent. Conjecture: maybe I was hitting up and left or up and right at the same time?

Here was the setup:

Twin Stick -> Mayflash Saturn USB adaptor (set to XInput mode) -> PC. PC -> Cronus Max Pro -> Brook PS4 to Switch adaptor.

I did not need to have a legit PS4 controller hooked up to run it, which was cool.

Here was how I had the Cronus Pro X-Aim Setup:
1. Emulating a PS4 controller
2. Left Stick -> Left D-Pad
3. Right Stick Up: Triangle
4. Right Stick Right: Circle
5. Right Stick Down: X
6. Right Stick Left: Square
7. Left Stick Trigger: L2
8. Right Stick Trigger: R2
9. Left Stick Thumb Button: L1
10. Right Stick Thumb Button: R1
11. Start: Option

This made menu navigation a little weird (you have to hit Right Stick Right for accept, Right Stick Down for cancel) but it meant the default Assault controls did not have to be changed. Add Credit (Left Stick Thumb Button) and Start Game (Right Stick Thumb Button) were also a little weird but it didn't get in the way.

I'll try and get time tomorrow to ID why right stick up didn't register as I had expected. When it worked, the game felt AMAZING and I cruised to level 3 without dying a single time.

Things I'm going to try:
1. Verify that the Device Options are showing a consistent Up press
2. Try DInput instead of XInput (switch on the Mayflash converter)
3. Change some inputs around and see what happens
4. Open up the stick
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

SavagePencil, can you upload the X-Aim plugin and instructions? They’re no longer on Cronus’s site. :evil: Any idea if this work with the Cronus Plus?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

SGGG2 wrote:SavagePencil, can you upload the X-Aim plugin and instructions? They’re no longer on Cronus’s site. :evil: Any idea if this work with the Cronus Plus?
Yes, let me do a little mini blog-post on "here's what I did" and I'll get it added to this thread. I might be able to do a YT video, too. I need to try out this Dreamcast twin stick while I'm at it.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Great, I hurt my thumb and this a roundabout way to use a 3DS as a controller on Original Xbox and PS2 with 3DS Controller.

https://github.com/CTurt/3DSController
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Be careful about using these sorts of things on modern consoles, as some publishers are now banning accounts using them as "illegal cheating devices".

They're more concerned with people using a mouse/keyboard in competitive online controller-only games, but other types of unlicensed controller adapters are likely to get caught up in the same thing.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

SGGG2: I only had a few minutes but I recorded a quick and dirty tutorial on how I am doing remapping. Let me know if you have any questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7qCqD4QrE
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Looking good. With a PC we should be able to connect almost anything. Be sure to upload the X-Aim installer if you have it, as it’s no longer available from Cronus.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Are you sure about that? It looks like Cronus Pro exe is still available to download here: https://www.cronusmax.com/downloads/

Note that X-Aim is a plugin that should come with the Cronus Pro install...check under "Plugins" menu. I am on a Mac and confirmed the .exe downloaded...will confirm it works as expected when I get home to a Windows machine tonight.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

:oops: All the search links were broken, I didn’t consider it being part of a bigger package. Now to decide if I go with this or build an analog arcade stick.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

It shouldn't be anything to worry about. I don't do anything in the "main" Cronus package.

Actually this may be a lie...I think there are some settings you can provide fro the main executable. For example, I appear to occasionally drop inputs once in a while with the default settings, so I need to go in there to look at increasing the update rate.

And just to save you some annoyance: launch the Cronus Pro .exe in Administrator mode, otherwise X-Aim won't function.
SGGG2

Re: Controller Remappers for PC/Playstations/Switches/Xbox

Post by SGGG2 »

Picked up a Cronus Max Plus, was able to configure everything but couldn’t get it to work with PadEMU in OPL. I assumed it was an incompatibility on the PS2 side so I picked up a Brook Wingman. No luck with that either, it works fine with a DS3.

Best I can tell, X-Aim doesn’t work with virtual devices like vJoy because the “Device Manager” doesn’t see it as an input at all, despite translating inputs in the monitor. Spoofing a 360 controller or X Input device doesn’t work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a work around?

EDIT: Got it working, but not sure what’s different. Hopefully I can replicate it.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

The one time I played with vJoy, it was showing up in the Device Manager.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Spent a frustrating two weeks trying to get X-Aim to work properly via a Brook Wingman adapter on PS2. This issue being constant disconnects. According to the status light on the Brook adapter it was still connected to an analog controller, and X-Aim was usually still active on PC (it quits whenever it looses connection). The Brook adapter was also losing connection to a wired DS3 controller. This led me to believe the Brook adapter was defective, received a replacement, but the same issues were present. Tried multiple cables, Bought the older Brook super adapter. Works fine with a wired DS3, but still looses connection with the CronusMax. After lots of troubleshooting, I suspect the CronusMax is bad.

Turns out the creator of CronusMax was forced out of the company after they hacked the security of the Cronus software. He went on to the create the Titan devices, and all the subsequent CronusMax updates are reversed engineered hacks of Titan software. I figure the software is probably superior. I was right. After some headaches getting the plug ins to download, the Titan works flawlessly.

X-Aim only runs in plug in mode, anytime it looses connection it quits. Requiring a restart of the software and reconnecting the ChronusMax to PC. Depending on your use case this may require resetting your entire adapter chain before the PC will recognize it. Titan One’s MaxAim has a stand alone version that stays open and auto connects, so things like IGR or power cycling a console don’t require any actions.

The Titan One also works with Switch natively, so it would eliminate an adapter in SavagePencil’s use case.

Not sure if the CronusMax Plus is defective or incompatible, but either way MaxAim is a superior implementation. I’d prefer a Titan Two due to max lag of 1ms (vs 1 to 10ms on the One) but prices are insanely inflated due to chip shortages.
Last edited by SGGG2 on Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Wow, that is some detective work! I haven't had drop-outs but I do have some occasional input drops that are infuriating. I was leary of the Titan One product after my troubles with the most recent Cronus device, which is why I went back to the earlier CronusMax. Can you provide the exact Titan One product you're using? They were selling for a fortune when I first started my quest.
SGGG2

Re: Controller Remappers for PC/Playstations/Switches/Xbox

Post by SGGG2 »

It’s just the regular old Titan One, it looks just like the CronusMax Plus. Readily available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/ConsoleTuner-Tit ... B00LH5XZQS

I’ve been looking for a way to use the New 3DS XL on consoles for years, I was determined. :twisted: Not like I had a choice, I’m using it as an accessibility device. I’ll create a stand alone topic where I can go into more detail, since it’s outside the scope of this thread.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Oh gotcha, maybe I was looking at another Titan-branded one but there was some gargantuan one for the mouse-and-keyboard crowd that was upwards of $200+. I'll give this one a spin and see if it alleviates some of the drops I'm seeing.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

That’s the Titan Two, IIRC, the biggest difference for our use case is lag. Here’s a comparison chart. https://www.consoletuner.com/wiki/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

@SGGG2: You said that the Titan One's MaxAim will work with Switch. Some follow-up Qs:

1. Are you using MaxAim, MaxAim DI, or MaxRemapper? <- never mind; I went poking into the directory and saw MaxAim.exe was available as a standalone after I installed all of the plugins
2. I'm not seeing Switch as a valid output. Does it "just work" or is there a setting I need to be applying?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Switch support was added in later firmwares, so be sure to update. I don’t have a switch yet so I can’t offer advice from experience. Looks like update firmware, enable Switch output in Gtuner, enable Pro wired controller on the Switch.

This should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gqku5sW75M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAMyxC__JS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chq1eb-w9aA
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Got it; I was able to get it setup using the MaxAim DI as a GTuner plugin. I only found the MaxAim.exe, which didn't seem to support DirectInput.

Here were the steps I took:
1. Connected my Saturn Twinstick to the Saturn controller adaptor set to DInput.
2. Verified all inputs worked correctly in Windows USB Game Controller
3. Opened GTuner
4. Opened MaxAim DI plugin
5. Created a new mapping for Assault
6. Under the DirectInput menu, selected the correct controller
7. Mapped all my inputs on a 360 controller mapping - this was problematic as A and B were confusing but some trial and error and you're fine
8. Connected the Titan One to the Switch

annnnnndddddd

IT WORKS BETTER THAN THE CRONUSMAX! I am no longer getting invisible (one frame) input drops when I would hold both sticks in the same direction. This was obnoxious because it meant you couldn't reliably roll forward...there'd be a drop and suddenly your tank would veer in one direction or another. The workaround was to map the twin sticks to the analog sticks, but this never felt as elegant.

This makes Assault so much better to play. AND I don't need to have another Brook adaptor in the mix.

I'll have to give it a spin with the CyberStick on G-Loc, Metal Hawk (Switch) and Afterburner Climax (360). Thank you so much!
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Forgot to mention, set up everything up in the plug in and load your layout profile and script in the stand alone for usage. Hopefully this gets more attention, the possibilities here are wild. For instance, people use Titans in conjunction with capture cards and Parsec to fudge remote play on real consoles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGE6mgMZzSw