Sony 75" X90K vs TCL 75R655 TV vs....???

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dochartaigh

Sony 75" X90K vs TCL 75R655 TV vs....???

Post by Dochartaigh »

My TCL 65R617 TV is malfunctioning and with the warranty I'll hopefully get store credit (for the 3rd time!) at P.C. Richard & Son towards a new set available at their stores. Looking for 75" SIZE ONLY, under $1700 (HARD stop, that's already maxing my budget).
Really just looking for comparable quality of my old 2018 TCL 65R617, just newer tech and a little larger in 75".

TOP CONTENDERS

• New TCL 75R655, $1500, QLED, 360 backlit zones

• Sony 75" X90K (NOT the "J" model), $1699, 84ish? zones (info not avail.), NOT qled...

• Hisense U8H, $1500, miniLED, 528 zones

TCL:
I'm horribly torn between these and would welcome any advice (and other models too!). I'm leaning towards TCL (even though I've had 2x broken TCL's in 4x years fyi) because I DO love the picture on my older 65R617. And because TCL seems to be more reliable than Hisense...

HISENSE:
But Rtings says the Hisense, picture-wise, "is much better" than the Sony, and "is better" than the TCL... But I just can't shake how Hisense not too long ago used to be so shitty it was the brand my local GROCERY store used to literally sell lol... and seems to be lots of reports of issues with Hisense QC and them breaking... and would like my next TV to last more than 5 years (which hasn't happened since my CRT days lol).

SONY:
The Sony people LOVE... but I hate blooming, and many reviews mention this. And this set isn't even QLED/miniLED, AND they don't publish the number of local dimming zones which I find shady (but one source says 84... which the TCL would literally have almost ~4.5 times as many zones, and the Hisense ~6.5 more zones... like 650% more...). BUT, despite all this, in the back of my mind I'm still wondering why SO MANY people STILL prefer the Sony... and when I posted on Reddit all most people could tell me was "Sony gotz better algorithm"... with no facts to contradict the blooming issue or how it's still somehow better IRL...

^^^ I'm mentioning local dimming zones so much because, and my assumption could be wrong, but I think it's the best thing since sliced bread in terms of (non-OLED) TV's. I got into BVM/PVM CRT's because I didn't like the bloom crappy CRT's could have (ok, and because I love the sharper image to death), but anyway, with modern sets I love it when there's a light and dark scene and there's NO halo around the bright subject on a dark background... just really adds something to my eyes - so it's important to me.

I'm hoping the people here can give me some better advice on which you think is better.

And if it helps, I use this TV as my main computer screen, sitting 10.5' away on my couch - so lots of web browsing, spreadsheets, emails, and design work (layout, photos). Secondary use is watching 1080p x265 movies (I do NOT stream or use built-in apps). Play video games occasionally, which is my only HDR use (and will be getting a 120Hz PS5 at some point...). Don't care about reflections or viewing angles (room has curtains, and I sit directly in front of it), the sound (Denon AVR/Focal 5.1 system), or the remote. AirPlay would be cool, but honestly don't use that much so whatever.