xpc-4 to BVM woes

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
asasra

xpc-4 to BVM woes

Post by asasra »

hey all

I've been trying to get this to work for a couple of weeks, hope I'd be able to get some help.
my use case is, I'd just like to use my xpc-4 on a BVM.

I currently have the XPC-4 set to output RGB (480p) connected via the VGA out directly to my BVM (D20).
The cable used is a VGA to BNC cable (bear in mind only the HSYNC BNC connector is plugged in - the VSYNC BNC connector is just left dangling).

Using this setup I can kind of see the XPC blue menu on the BVM, but the picture is rolling heavily.
Colours look correct, but it seems to not be syncing at all.
I'm not even trying to play a game or anything yet, I can't even see the XPC-4 menu :cry:

Interestingly, if I use the supplied DVI to HDMI dongle, I can see the menu totally fine on a modern flat panel.

My guess is that the BVM isn't syncing for some reason, could it be that the XPC-4 outputs HSYNC and VSYNC separately through the VGA-out, but the BVM expects CSYNC?
Then I'd need a sync combiner, right?

I'm really not sure what's going on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There's these settings on the "special" menu of the XPC-4, but I think they refer to the input not the output.
スペシャル Special
AD調整 AD Adjustment
スルー水平同期REV Through horizontal synchronization REV
スルー垂直同期REV Through vertical synchronization REV
Dochartaigh

Re: xpc-4 to BVM woes

Post by Dochartaigh »

Just a guess, but there's many different flavors of 480p (from VESA? compliant 640x480 VGA-ish, to 7xx to 8xx by 480 pixels consumer/broadcast style where the sides get cut off). I would look into which your XPC is outputting, and which your D20 will accept. (or hopefully somebody with this exact hardware can chime in with a less vague suggestion than mine lol)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My guess is that the BVM isn't syncing for some reason, could it be that the XPC-4 outputs HSYNC and VSYNC separately through the VGA-out, but the BVM expects CSYNC?
yes, exactly. And of course. You can do a sync conversion to CSync, or even better the RGsB with internal sync on Green to save one more connector. Both can be done with any of the Extron RGB boxes. But if you need to pick up a device to do so, you could just as easily go for a transcoder instead and convert RGBHV to YPbPr.
asasra

Post by asasra »

thank you guys
Just a guess, but there's many different flavors of 480p (from VESA? compliant 640x480 VGA-ish, to 7xx to 8xx by 480 pixels consumer/broadcast style where the sides get cut off).
Hadn't thought of this, thank you.
You can do a sync conversion to CSync, or even better the RGsB with internal sync on Green to save one more connector. Both can be done with any of the Extron RGB boxes. But if you need to pick up a device to do so, you could just as easily go for a transcoder instead and convert RGBHV to YPbPr.
Thank you, I think I can borrow an extron rxi.

I also tried changing the settings in the "Special > Component" menu on the XPC-4 which you brought up in a different thread - this looked promising but it does nothing for me.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45945
The setting is labeled "component" in the special settings menu. There's Y, RGBHV and RGB_C. I assume this is for the analogue HD15 output then.
I expected this would switch the sync on the analog output VGA cable. I flipped it to "RGB_C" but nothing changed on the BVM.
Shouldn't this just make the XPC-4 output CSYNC? I guess not.
Do you know what it's for?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's been too long, sorry - I really don't recall what the setting did.

Maybe try setting it to "Y" and set the monitor for internal sync instead?

The setting could be input-related instead though....
asasra

Post by asasra »

yep that's understandable, thanks for your help.