Advice on PC Engine RGB

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Advice on PC Engine RGB

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I am going to get the Turbo Everdrive Pro, but read that it won't play CD games on a Duo. I have two Duos, so that sucks.
I bought a Core Grafx, as that's supposed to have the best sound (?), and the ED will work with it.

I am trying to figure out how to get RGB out of the system. From what I have read, you don't need a mod, but some kind of adapter?
Something like a db GrafxBooster (which are out of stock). Couple that with HD Retrovision cables that are for a Genesis 2.

Do I have this sorted out, or is there something I am missing?
jd213

Re: Advice on PC Engine RGB

Post by jd213 »

There's the Spark Plug, but it's also out of stock: https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... -plug-rgb/

I've been using an adapter like this one that outputs RGB over RCA (and CVBS for sync), mine doesn't have the MD2 port though:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mcbazel-Booste ... 480&sr=8-1

They've been on Yahoo Japan (and probably Aliexpress) for years, IIRC the output is a bit bright on mine, but the RGB and composite's Vpp measurements were about right when I measured them on my oscilloscope.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

There will be 2 versions of Everdive Pro. First is the Hucard version, but expansion port version with rgb output is already announced.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

SuperDeadite wrote:There will be 2 versions of Everdive Pro. First is the Hucard version, but expansion port version with rgb output is already announced.
Wow, really? I just thought there was a version that was going to have stereo output, and one that didn't.

Also, if I did go with the Sparkplug or something similar, would I still have to get a jailbar fix for the system? That was a big issue with the Duos.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Yeah, it's a pretty easy fix if you can solder though:
https://wiki.console5.com/wiki/Hu6260#J ... al_Bar_Fix
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

jd213 wrote:Yeah, it's a pretty easy fix if you can solder though:
https://wiki.console5.com/wiki/Hu6260#J ... al_Bar_Fix
Ah OK. I figured I would still have to get that taken care of. Thanks.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Which do you guys think is better? The Spark Plug or the db GrafxBooster?

Also, with these two devices, do I have to use a SCART cable (and then a convertor) or can I just get a component cable?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Which do you guys think is better? The Spark Plug or the db GrafxBooster?

Also, with these two devices, do I have to use a SCART cable (and then a convertor) or can I just get a component cable?
For evil_ash_xero,

The db GrafxBooster is the one to get as it has plenty of options when hooking up to analog A/V equipment. Stoneage Gamer used to have it in stock sometime back but hasn't been able to get ahold of another shipment of it since then (could be the issue of the shortage of certain electronic components that make up a single db GrafxBooster pcb setup would be the logical guess imho). The RGB output from a PCE or TG-16 setup looks great if done right -- looks glorious & razor sharp on a 29" 15.75kHz low-res arcade monitor screen setup. RGB output from an RGB modded Super CD-Rom2 Interface unit with an PC Engine Core Grafx II or SuperGrafx console is ace through and through (albeit quite an expensive setup nowadays but totally worth it in the end if you can afford it).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Which do you guys think is better? The Spark Plug or the db GrafxBooster?

For evil_ash_xero,

The db GrafxBooster is the one to get as it has plenty of options when hooking up to analog A/V equipment. Stoneage Gamer used to have it in stock sometime back but hasn't been able to get ahold of another shipment of it since then (could be the issue of the shortage of certain electronic components that make up a single db GrafxBooster pcb setup would be the logical guess imho). The RGB output from a PCE or TG-16 setup looks great if done right -- looks glorious & razor sharp on a 29" 15.75kHz low-res arcade monitor screen setup. RGB output from an RGB modded Super CD-Rom2 Interface unit with an PC Engine Core Grafx II or SuperGrafx console is ace through and through (albeit quite an expensive setup nowadays but totally worth it in the end if you can afford it).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks for the info. I plan on using the upcoming TE Pro to play the CD games. I am going to send this out to get the jailbar fix and have it recapped. Hopefully I can find that booster by the time the Pro comes out.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Since you have a CoreGrafx, you can try the Super HD System 3 Pro, which has both HDMI and a Genesis 2 RGB out that you can use with the HD Retrovision Genesis 2 cable. It will give you HuCARD, CD, and also SuperGrafx games without the need for a SuperGrafx or any of the CD hardware or anything else like that, and I guess it also has a built-in jailbar fix, although I have no idea how that works. It is fairly expensive, though.

I have the older SSDS3 on my SuperGrafx and it's mostly pretty good. I guess they fixed a lot (all?) of the issues in this newer product, but I haven't been able to justify the cost of buying it to replace what I already have.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I believe all compatibility issues are the same between models.

There is a bug tracker here.

Compatibility is pretty good overall though.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

@OP

TianFeng the creator of the sparkplug commented in passing during a stream last week that he was working on a new version.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Is there still no way to disable the SuperGrafx emulation on the Super HD System 3 PRO?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Why would you want to disable the SuperGrafx emulation? The only thing I can think of is if you want to play Space Harrier, but that is a known compatibility problem with the SuperGrafx, so I'm guessing and hoping that they should have built a fix for that into the SHDS3.
Kez

Post by Kez »

If you have a real SuperGrafx and want the other features of SHDS3.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Uh... what is there on the SHDS3 that doesn't work on the SuperGrafx other than having to disable the Blast Processing™ switch to play SuperGrafx games, that in itself being a rather awkward concession since you can't use the actual SuperGrafx's own SuperGrafxness to play those games and have to use the emulation instead?
Kez

Post by Kez »

It is just that, the real SuperGrafx is superior to the emulation and you can't use it with the SHDS3 to play SuperGrafx games.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Ced (Fenrir) has announced he's making a HuCard and IFU ODE for PCE/TG16 in 2023. Think Im gonna wait as I love Fenrir.
https://twitter.com/Ced2911/status/1606 ... 8Ly6w&s=19
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was able to get a db Grafx Booster, on Ebay. I have the Core sent off, getting a Jailbar fix, and cap replacement.

I was looking at the thread with the Terra Onion device, and people were mentioning RGB modded Cores. Do I need something like that, or just the db GB?
I asked the modder, and he said I didn't need any kind of RGB mod.
I want the sharpest possible picture. So, I'm hoping the db is enough.

This is all a bit confusing.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

The db Grafx Booster should be fine if you're OK with the Everdrive Pro or Fenrir's solution for CD games, since you can't use the db Grafx Booster with an actual CD attachment.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

jd213 wrote:The db Grafx Booster should be fine if you're OK with the Everdrive Pro or Fenrir's solution for CD games, since you can't use the db Grafx Booster with an actual CD attachment.
Yes, that's the plan. Thanks.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm curious why you just wouldn't wait for the Analogue Duo?

Its quite cheap considering and does everything out of the box. I considered a PC engine setup but since I own 3 other Analogue setups I thought I might as well get the 4th one.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I'm curious why you just wouldn't wait for the Analogue Duo?

Its quite cheap considering and does everything out of the box. I considered a PC engine setup but since I own 3 other Analogue setups I thought I might as well get the 4th one.
Well, it's REALLY late. So, I don't know when it's actually going to come out. Also, I like OG hardware. I still want to get Analogue Duo, but I question when or if it will come out.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I probably wouldn't get it anyway just because it's bound to have compatibility problems starting on launch day that never get fixed just like their other systems.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yeah I'd probably pick the Terraonion device over Analog too. Although Analog has come up a lot in my view since the Pocket which is a gold standard grade release.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Pocket (barely) has the most unresolved issues, though...

https://github.com/frederic-mahe/Analog ... +is%3Aopen

Some of these are suggestions, of course, but it is still disappointing that most of the problems will probably never be fixed, judging by their previous products. Sonic CD still doesn't work on the Mega Sg ever since the launch of that system if you use a real Mega-CD or Sega CD. Of course, my Mega-CD doesn't work with the Mega Sg at all, sadly. Analogue said it's due to oxidization or something like that on my Mega-CD's pins, so there is nothing that can be done with it. The disc drive stopped working recently anyway, though, so in the end it didn't matter, and I have the MegaSD if I really want to play CD games.

Curiously, Sonic CD works on the Mega Sg with the MegaSD if you play it through the cartridge port, but if you connect it to the side of the Mega Sg using the MSDEXP, Sonic CD doesn't work.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Steven wrote:Pocket (barely) has the most unresolved issues, though...

https://github.com/frederic-mahe/Analog ... +is%3Aopen

Some of these are suggestions, of course, but it is still disappointing that most of the problems will probably never be fixed, judging by their previous products. Sonic CD still doesn't work on the Mega Sg ever since the launch of that system if you use a real Mega-CD or Sega CD. Of course, my Mega-CD doesn't work with the Mega Sg at all, sadly. Analogue said it's due to oxidization or something like that on my Mega-CD's pins, so there is nothing that can be done with it. The disc drive stopped working recently anyway, though, so in the end it didn't matter, and I have the MegaSD if I really want to play CD games.

Curiously, Sonic CD works on the Mega Sg with the MegaSD if you play it through the cartridge port, but if you connect it to the side of the Mega Sg using the MSDEXP, Sonic CD doesn't work.
In fairness towards the Pocket, it supports so multiple platforms so more tickets are not surprising. Personally I haven't had a single issue with anything I've played on it but I've only played classic Gameboy and GBC games, while most reports seem to be GBA and Gamegear related (which is still a shame, especially the Game Gear having issues with major games like Shining Force II Sword of Hajya). For classic GB and GBC (clearly the aspect they most worked on), the Analog Pocket is truly marvelous.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Taiyaki wrote:For classic GB and GBC (clearly the aspect they most worked on), the Analog Pocket is truly marvelous.
I'm waiting for the Pocket to support the original GBC and GBA screen color space and I'll buy one again, after having sold the first one I got due to this not being implemented, in spite of being a feature on the MiSTer cores for a long time (and in emulators for much longer still). At this point not really holding my breath, especially as I've come to prefer playing these handheld systems on a CRT via MiSTer.

It's basically the same problem that most PC Engine RGB solutions have, they all give you raw RGB colors instead of the correct ones. At least the latest Terraonion device does have this feature, even though they waited for the MiSTer community to come up with the conversion table for it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Doesn't Terra Onion's device have sound issues? I read a thing on RetroRGB that there is a fix for that. I probably
should have read more, but I didn't.
They are a Spanish company, are they not? I hear that they have pretty bad customer service. My family is from Spain, so this doesn't surprise me.
That being said, I don't think PSIO's customer service is worth a shit, and they're Australian.

My Analogue Pocket got delayed a bit, but they said it was going to ship the "week of January 9", but I still haven't gotten it, or heard anything else.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

The owner certainly was a total asshole but somebody has gotten him to shut up so it has improved. You might wade into their Discord and evaluate the climate there.