NESRGB 4 colors and graphics layers issues

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jarzarello

NESRGB 4 colors and graphics layers issues

Post by jarzarello »

Hi, I installed NESRGB 4 last week, and I have a problems with the graphics colors and layers. When I turn on the console, everything is OK in colors and graphics. I have palette nº 6 selected, and led 7 blinks and finally stay solid. Playing Castlevania, after 10-12 minutes the graphics change colors and some graphics disappear (in this case, score, energy, etc). I tried with Super Mario Bros 3 and have the same issue. Besides this, the original RF an AV output only give me a gray and white image (sound no problem). I understand that the RF and AV signal continues to work the same once the NESRGB board is installed. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Thank you
jarzarello

Re: NESRGB 4 colors and graphics layers issues

Post by jarzarello »

Well, finally I was able to resolve my issues. I forgot to change the C8 capacitor, and when I did, Led 7 on the RGB board stopped blinking.

Color and graphics issues were resolved by adding a 100pf capacitor connected across PPU pin 13 and GND.

Regardless, RF and original composite video still look in gray and white.
KPackratt2k

Re: NESRGB 4 colors and graphics layers issues

Post by KPackratt2k »

jarzarello wrote:Regardless, RF and original composite video still look in gray and white.
That's actually normal behavior for when NESRGB is active. For my NESRGB installation, I installed a SPST switch with one leg on the "1D" pad and another on ground. That way I can use either the NESRGB output or the stock Composite/RF output at my choosing. If you're doing this, make sure the J1 pad is open.