Dumping and restoring PS3/4/5 NAND/flash?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Dumping and restoring PS3/4/5 NAND/flash?

Post by nmalinoski »

After watching RIP-Felix's video on the PS3's YLoD issues, specifically focusing on the failures from thermal expansion, it got me wondering if my Sony-repaired CECHE01 ended up with a retrofitted 40nm or 65nm RSX and, if it did, then does that mean repaired PS3s like mine are also subject to the lower firmware limit of Felix's Frankensteined PS3?

Looks like I can find the GPU's model number on the IHS, once I open this thing; but then it's still not clear if Sony's approach allows for downgrading the firmware. I'm thinking the simplest way to figure this out would be to downgrade the firmware to something known incompatible with the 40nm and/or 65nm RSX, see if it boots, and, if it doesn't (GLoD?), restore from a NAND backup.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding much information on how to actually do this effectively in 2022. I'm finding references to TFlasher, E3, and a handful of others, but I'm not finding any places to actually buy these tools. Are there resources for doing this now that I'm not finding?

Additionally, shouldn't it also be possible to do something similar with a PS4 or PS5? Is there a recommended interface for those consoles?
Lord of Pirates

Re: Dumping and restoring PS3/4/5 NAND/flash?

Post by Lord of Pirates »

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Teensy++_ ... oard_Model

There's also a page for E3 as well as others. It looks like Modchip Central (modchipcentral .com) still has stock of some progskeet boards, presuming the store is still operational.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Can't HEN software show you your minimum firmware version, or would it be inaccurate if chips have been replaced?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

bobrocks95 wrote:Can't HEN software show you your minimum firmware version, or would it be inaccurate if chips have been replaced?
MinVerChk would probably work.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'll be damned - apparently 40nm retrofits ARE a thing, but I'm not clear if they are official or not. Here's a thread kicked off with an example found in the wild, bought from Japan. Note the discussion of resistor replacements:
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/frank ... 69/page-19
I haven't read this all so I don't know whether they are official or not.

It sounds like they have the resources you need. They're talking about software issues in the last pages, and apparently they can be worked through.

Reddit says CECHA models serviced from 2011 got the updated slim (40nm, I guess) GPU:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/l ... &context=3