best japanese ps1 model?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KimagureMachibuse

best japanese ps1 model?

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

looking for a japanese ps1 console and would like to know whats the best one or at the least the most reliable one to get.
fernan1234

Re: best japanese ps1 model?

Post by fernan1234 »

My choice is SCPH-5500. Doesn't have some of the issues that the pre 5000 models had, laser tends to be reliable (or more easily replaceable with an old stock unit, assuming those are still easy to find), has the supposedly better DAC that the older units with RCA jacks have (the connector makes no difference), and best of all is compatible with the XStation.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

SCPH-1000 has the best audio and an S-video port. Laser reliability is kinda of a moot point nowadays, they're all old and require replacement. The PS1 has 3 replacements for the disc drive: Xstation; MODE; and PSIO.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

tongshadow wrote: SCPH-1000 has the best audio and an S-video port.
The supposedly best audio goes all the way to the 5500, since they all use the same DAC. Some people ascribed the audio quality to the RCA jacks but that's of course silly. The audio from the multiport is the same.

The built-in S-video port is a unique feature though. But other than that, even when using an ODE, the 1000s should be avoided due to using the early GPUs that downsample/compress bit color, resulting in a worse picture.
digitron

Post by digitron »

I have a JP 5500 with a bad cd drive (has a parallel port, could use a PSIO), otherwise works fine, $25 shipped and its yours.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

digitron wrote:(has a parallel port, could use a PSIO),
Wow, do people still use a PSIO? After it never got any fixes to the growing list of bugged games and the X-Station just kept getting better I thought it would fade into obscurity quickly.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:
digitron wrote:(has a parallel port, could use a PSIO),
Wow, do people still use a PSIO? After it never got any fixes to the growing list of bugged games and the X-Station just kept getting better I thought it would fade into obscurity quickly.
Their issue tracker makes it seem like they've done a lot of work on it, are there more open issues than it shows that people have mentioned? https://jira.cybdyn-systems.com.au:2053 ... openissues

Either way XStation has more features and I always hated that PSIO is meant to be an external solution but then needs damaging internal work done to make it work. If it was strictly plug and play it would still have its own market segment.

Does XStation require any patches for libcrypt games?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Their issue tracker makes it seem like they've done a lot of work on it, are there more open issues than it shows that people have mentioned? https://jira.cybdyn-systems.com.au:2053 ... openissues
If things are still how they used to be, the jira tracker only shows a fraction of games that had problems, especially those with non-major inaccuracies where the game was still "playable". You had to go to the forums to really see the games that had issues.

And I agree that it would be a more interesting product if it were actually plug and play, but even then I'd never use it myself since accuracy > convenience.
bobrocks95 wrote:Does XStation require any patches for libcrypt games?
No, pretty sure it patches those games on the fly.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

PSIO is for people who want to use both the ODE and disc drive or dont have a compatible console.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I have a SCPH-1000. I changed the laser to one from the PS One. I read that Ps One have the best and reliable laser of all PS1 models.
I also changed the PSU to one from a European one since i didnt want to use a transformer.
I'm satisfied since the SCPH-1000 is the model with most outputs. The one model which I want to get my hands on is SCPH-5903. That one got a VCD player as well but its very rare.