Micomsoft XE1AJ-USB Cyberstick (modern re-issue)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SavagePencil

Micomsoft XE1AJ-USB Cyberstick (modern re-issue)

Post by SavagePencil »

Micomsoft recently re-issued its XE1AJ "Cyberstick"--a highly-customizable combination of analog stick and lever--to correspond with the release of the Mega Drive Mini II. The original was an x68000-specific device that could be adapted for use with some Mega Drive and PC Engine titles to add analog control functionality. They also released the XE-1AP, a horseshoe crab-shaped monstrosity that accomplished the same goals but in a separate form factor.

I'd like to start a thread to discuss this USB re-release. While it's interesting to discuss in terms of the Mega Drive Mini ][, I'm most interested in how this controller could be used in other contexts: specifically, is it something that could work with a MiSTer?
SavagePencil

Re: Micomsoft XE1AJ-USB Cyberstick (modern re-issue)

Post by SavagePencil »

Here's a Google Translate of the website: https://www-micomsoft-co-jp.translate.g ... r_pto=wapp

They also offer a Windows-based "adjustment tool" that allows customization of the buttons, calibration of the stick, and what appears to be tuning the sensitivity.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It does work on the MiSTer, but the older console cores don't have mapping for analog controls, so it's pretty pointless to use it there as of right now.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

It would be interesting to try it with the new Outrun arcade core. Confusing that it doesn’t work for Genesis/PCE yet, though.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Personally I think the original Cyberstick paired with the new USB-Adapter may end up being the better setup in the long run. The adapter supports firmware uploading, and already is compatible with MD2 Mini, PC, and Switch... Some Korean dudes have already used the USB-Adapter in conjunction with a USB to Atari adapter for using the og stick with MSX games.

Oh and for the record, there are a lot more games that support the original stick than many people realize. Besides X68000, MD, and PCE. There were games even on Sharp's rivals that directly supported it. For example the FM Towns ports of Galaxy Force II, Turbo Outrun, and Wing Commander have native support for it. Wing Commander was a direct in house release made by Fujitsu themselves, so the manual just says "supports analog joysticks." :lol:

It's worth noting that the original release of the Cyberstick was directly my Micomsoft. It had red base buttons, red text, and no Sharp logos. The partnership with Sharp to release the much more common black buttons with green logos came later. I'm kind of surprised the new USB Cyberstick went with the Green text, as Red would have been more true to the original model.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

The Cyber Stick works with the Saturn Afterburner release when used in conjunction with a Brook Wingman Saturn Dreamcast adapter and a CronusMax adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1yiR572q8

The same user also shows the original Cyber Stick and the re-issue with the controllers being removed.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

pcb_revival wrote:The Cyber Stick works with the Saturn Afterburner release when used in conjunction with a Brook Wingman Saturn Dreamcast adapter and a CronusMax adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1yiR572q8

The same user also shows the original Cyber Stick and the re-issue with the controllers being removed.
That's interesting. It looks like the CronusMax allows you to interactively re-map inputs. Does anybody have experience with these? I see the Cronus Zen is for sale, but looks like there's a few flavors of the Cronus Max.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Picked up the re-issue Cyberstick bundled with Taito Arcade Memories Vol. 2 for the Egret II Mini. It works with Night Striker and Operation Wolf (both of which are huge favorites of mine) and I love playing either of them that way. <3

It's a shame the MiSTER cores don't support analogue controls though, as now my use cases for the stick will be quite limited.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I found it good for Night Striker, but Operation Wolf felt a bit sensitive. Did you make any adjustments to make it more playable?
BJQ1972

Post by BJQ1972 »

I got one of these from Japan. It cost me about £60 in total.

https://fareastpinball.booth.pm/items/4853119

It's an adapter to use the cyber stick and the Egret Mini Stick and Spinner/Trackball on Switch. They say you can also connect this adapter to Wingman adapters for further compatibility with XBox and PS, but I've not tried that yet.

I've only used it for the cyber stick so far - on Space Harrier and Arcade Archives Metal Hawk, but it seems to work ok.